• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Redbacks

International Captain
Scored over 200 runs across 2 innings in the shield final which is handy.

He's been owed a run after the hasty dropping in England. Now it seems fair that he has had a few tests and can go back to the drawing board for a couple years, score 1000 runs in a season, and then have another crack.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He had a bit of a good run at the tail-end of last FC season, but very little between his Test match stints, no.
So basically apart from his debut series and the 09 Ashes he's never actually been put into the Test side in the middle of good FC form?

And thanks to the geniuses at Cricket Australia, the management can't say "sorry Phil, it would be better if you went back to New South Wales and found some FC form" because the Shield doesn't start again until after the Test series. Bravo CA, bravo.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can I ask why Hughes being out of nick and constantly getting out the same way is grounds for dropping, yet Ponting constantly falling over his front pad and getting out lbw all the ****ing time isn't?
Ponting's too hard to drop. Plus he's scored some runs recently.

I actually agree with you ftr, but I understand why the selectors are being cautious here.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So basically apart from his debut series and the 09 Ashes he's never actually been put into the Test side in the middle of good FC form?

And thanks to the geniuses at Cricket Australia, the management can't say "sorry Phil, it would be better if you went back to New South Wales and found some FC form" because the Shield doesn't start again until after the Test series. Bravo CA, bravo.
Yeah Cricket Australia have REALLY ****ed up on having the Big Bash during the test matches. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it during the one-dayers or whenever Australia aren't playing internationals?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hughes did initially. Has he actually had a sustained period of good Shield form since his dropping in England? I know he came into last year's Ashes in woeful nick.
Have a very good 09-10 season. Scored 990 runs in 11 matches, average well over 50.

Came in for an injured Watson in NZ in March 2010, got an 80* or some such.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting's too hard to drop. Plus he's scored some runs recently.

I actually agree with you ftr, but I understand why the selectors are being cautious here.
Hughes has scored a ton and an 88 in his last 5 Tests. Looked glorious during his 88, whereas Ponting during his twin 50s looked like a guy unsuccessfully trying to get out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm really sick of the experienced batsman doing bugger all. Ponting is dropped from my team.

1 E Cowan 2 D Warner 3 S Marsh 4 S Watson 5 MClarke 6 M Hussey 7 M Wade 8 P Siddle 9 J Pattinson 10 R Harris 11 N Lyon

I'm a big Khawaja fan, but I dont think he's done enough.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm really sick of the experienced batsman doing bugger all. Ponting is dropped from my team.

1 E Cowan 2 D Warner 3 S Marsh 4 S Watson 5 MClarke 6 M Hussey 7 M Wade 8 P Siddle 9 J Pattinson 10 R Harris 11 N Lyon

I'm a big Khawaja fan, but I dont think he's done enough.
I understand what you are saying but Ponting will not be dropped and you can put money on that IMO

He may be given a word at the end of the India series but that's about as far as it will go

Hussey may well be dropped but that's not a great bet either for another test or 2 and at least he has the excuse of copping a couple of decent balls

Haddin may be the sacrificial lamb but the previous selectors earmarked Paine as his replacement and he's injured

Howe_zat

Audio File
Still think the Aussies will win it despite their batting woes.

India's bowling abroad is on the verge of downright poor. When was the last time Zaheer completed a Test tour? And finger spinners in Australia have been almost besides the point in recent years.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't think anyone actually thinks Ponting will be dropped. It's just wishful thinking. The only player that will be dropped is Hughes. Hussey and Haddin will survive as well.

Woodster

International Captain
Had Australia won this Test against NZ, there would be few questions about Ponting, Hussey, and Haddin ahead of the Indian series, rightly or wrongly, but I do think there will be plenty talked about in the press,etc, about whether they should be retained after all the recent collapses. I think all three will be selected and if Ponting doesn't impress in this series, he may fall on his sword.

jorel'sspawn

Cricket Spectator
Still think the Aussies will win it despite their batting woes.

India's bowling abroad is on the verge of downright poor. When was the last time Zaheer completed a Test tour? And finger spinners in Australia have been almost besides the point in recent years.
its not a bowling competition. Runs scored are just as good as runs prevented. And considering the fragile nature of Aussie batting, this series is even keeled at best from their point of view.

Scaly piscine

This is who I'd go for.

Warner
Katich/Oz no-name bat
Marsh
Oz no-name bat/Katich
Clarke
Watson
Oz keeper who isn't Haddin
Copeland
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon

I think the worries about Watson starting against spin are over the top. His distribution of scores makes him an ideal number 6 really. If your number 6 is consistently getting 50s it will make you far less prone to collapse, which is a far more important consideration. I also think being at the back-end of an innings might focus his mind a little more, he can bat more in the here and now, knowing it could be all over in two balls rather than just having the freedom to bat on and on - which seems to make him drift off.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Would it be a bad idea if we move Laxman to no.6 position and promote Kohli/Rohit to number 5?? as most of the time the batsmen at number 6 have to bat with tail and Laxman has been pretty great at that. Even when Ganguly was in the team he used to bat at 5 and Laxman at 6

ganeshran

International Debutant
Would it be a bad idea if we move Laxman to no.6 position and promote Kohli/Rohit to number 5?? as most of the time the batsmen at number 6 have to bat with tail and Laxman has been pretty great at that. Even when Ganguly was in the team he used to bat at 5 and Laxman at 6
I think the current batting order is good. Three solid batsmen come one after the other and the chances of back to back quick wickets are reduced. Plus the number 6 is a good place for youngsters to prove their mettle and claim the vacant spots when the big 3 retire

Jarquis

Being adamant about dropping someone when you've no idea who should replace them is absurd.
That's the thing for me, as dire as Ponting and Hussey have been there's nobody bashing the door down. One of the players to put up the biggest numbers in recent years is in the side already owing to injury (Khawaja) and he's hardly impressed in his limited outings.
That's why the calls for Hughes's and Haddin's heads are a lot more justified IMO, Warner hasn't put a foot wrong in his fledgling career and Wade's gone about the right way in making a massive case for his inclusion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The people wanted it. Don't you recall the public saying we were terrible hosts?

All the while forgetting the guests basically did the equivalent of not flushing a turd then complaining about the stench.
rofl.. now you are ranting against your own countrymen? or did I just misunderstand your post?