• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An effort to pick an All-time ODI XI

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree, I changed my team few hours ago and removed Murali!

Saqlain is to ODI what Warne is to test matches ;)
I can see an argument for all 3. Murali had great figures - although somewhat boosted by minnows - and a long career. Saqlain probably had the great overall figures although they say he was "found out" and his career was cut short. For me, it is Warne (per usual :p). Great figures, good length career, awesome peak in big matches; great slipper and could hold a bat.

Watson - might be early, but I think he's probably the best ODI all-rounder ever.
Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Viv
Ponting
Bevan
Wasim
Warne
Garner/Lee
McGrath

Attacking and accumulative run makers. Spin+pace with 5 bowlers who can bowl 10 without the need for part-timers.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Will have a go

1.Adam Gilchrist+
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Viv Richards
4.Ricky Ponting
5.Zaheer Abbas
6.Michael Bevan
7.Lance Klusener
8.Wasim Akram
9.Joel Garner
10.Muttiah Muralitharan
11.Glenn Mcgrath

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can fit 4 more Aussies in there, mate.
Yeah, not like they've had any success at ODI level. Those four WCs were obviously real team efforts.

It gets like some of the test discussions on here. Name four or five blokes better than McGrath, say Warne was no good, Hayden a FTB, likewise Ponting, the back up bowling was no good etc.

Surprised They won a test or ODI tbh.

Edit: Watson wants to do something in a few ODIs that really matter IMHO, not just cash in in meaningless tri nation or five match series ****.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Edit: Watson wants to do something in a few ODIs that really matter IMHO, not just cash in in meaningless tri nation or five match series ****.
That's why I don't rate Hussey as highly as most do and MS Dhoni was the same before his excellent performance in the World Cup Final.

smash84

The Tiger King
1st XI: Jayasuriya, Gilchrist, Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Dhoni(wk), Pollock, Murali, Garner, McGrath

six bowlers, eight batsmen, and the most economical bowlers of ODI hisory

2nd XI: Gayle, M. Waugh, Ponting, Kallis, Abbas, Sangakkara, Klusener, Imran, Kapil Dev, Ambrose, Saqlain

Once again a set of dashers, quality bats and hard hitting all rounders.
wasim doesn't even make the 2nd eleven?????

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agree. Why no one notices him though? Is it because he played in a team that can't win a thing in ODIs? :ph34r:
Partly. Probably has as much to do with the fact that in England we don't celebrate ODI performances as much as Test ones. So barely anyone from England, never mind anyone else, hypes him up.

Burgey

Yes, tbh you forget what a good one day player Freddie was and what great stats he's got, bowling average of 24 and a batting one of 32.
Yeah he really lifted his side to ODI greatness that time when they...

Never mind.

Burgey

Flintoff by a ****ing mile.
Bull****. On this occasion, unlike all the past players that get analysed to death on here, there's no excuse this time. People here have actually seen him play.

So, let's have the storied tales of Flintoff blasting England to win after win with bat and ball in important ODIs, I can't wait to hear all about them...

/tumbleweed.