• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is It Possible to Have a Championship of Test Cricket?

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
1 match home and away basis...each country plays 18 tests within a span of 6 months? no other cricket in between...after every 5 years???

OMM!

U19 12th Man
England would win it, so we may as well metaphorically give them the title.

England - World Champions of Tests and T20s and defeaters of the World ODI Champions!

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

England - World Champions of Tests and T20s and defeaters of the team that won a series at home but can't win away
Fixed.

Redbacks

International Captain
1 match home and away basis...each country plays 18 tests within a span of 6 months? no other cricket in between...after every 5 years???
That's some heavy workloads and travel. 90 days work in 6 months would be over the top I think. Also the season would affect timing of matches.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Paint the picture of how this would work - I am interested to hear more.

More details...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So how can you play the home England tests at the same time as a New Zealand one?

Totally impractical, maybe if it was done over a year or if they did it like a world cup and had all the matches in the same country/countries if it was in Asia etc...and spread it around fairly each time.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain

England - World Champions of Tests and T20s and defeaters of the World ODI Champions!
Well done, you've just shown that you are currently the worst member on this site.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
So how can you play the home England tests at the same time as a New Zealand one?

Totally impractical, maybe if it was done over a year or if they did it like a world cup and had all the matches in the same country/countries if it was in Asia etc...and spread it around fairly each time.
think it's most important to finish it quickly...for that i said, 6 months...that too, seems long enough, but i don't think it can be cut shorter...

it should be played under all circumstances...swing in england, uneven bounce in west indies, spin in india or pace bounce in australia...and so on...and there be no excuses for not being prepared and stuff like that...similar situation for everyone...

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Paint the picture of how this would work - I am interested to hear more.

More details...
:D it's not that i have a very clear picture really...but it seems, that a team has to play about 3 test matches per month (which isn't a lot)...but yes, there will be lots of traveling and no practice matches...

say, suppose, england will play their first test in 1 to 5th january 2012 against south africa at home...there next match will be against india in india from 13 to 17th january...now (this is where a proper scheduling comes in) instead of going to play to the west indies, they might play their 3rd test of the month, say, against sri lanka in sri lanka...

there should be no final or semi final, just the way a league goes, the team gets more points, wins...

each team should get at least a month in this period of 6 months where there will be 3 back to back home matches for them...

Last edited:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
That's some heavy workloads and travel. 90 days work in 6 months would be over the top I think. Also the season would affect timing of matches.
yes, that is the biggest problem...it can be extended 1 or 2 months more...but the point is, it has to end, and end as quickly as possible...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
:D it's not that i have a very clear picture really...but it seems, that a team has to play about 3 test matches per month (which isn't a lot)...but yes, there will be lots of traveling and no practice matches...

say, suppose, england will play their first test in 1 to 5th january 2012 against south africa at home...there next match will be against india in india from 13 to 17th january...now (this is where a proper scheduling comes in) instead of going to play to the west indies, they might play their 3rd test of the month, say, against sri lanka in sri lanka...

there should be no final or semi final, just the way a league goes, the team gets more points, wins...

each team should get at least a month in this period of 6 months where there will be 3 back to back home matches for them...
Good luck trying to get 3 sessions of play in January in England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will these games feature mandatory spin play overs?
Good call GF, that would really make the game more interesting, especially if we limit it to 35 over innings so as to avoid games being cancelled owing to adverse weather conditions (which means games can be played on New Year's Day in England)

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
this is a bit surprising...
the idea was to just put across the way i was thinking...those dates and months just came as examples, no need to count them as REAL dates...

Last edited: