• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what Is the Best Spell of Reverse Swing Bowling that You have Ever Seen?

smash84

The Tiger King
Shoaib Akhtar rolling out an ATG Aussie line-up for less than 120 on a dust bowl in Sharjah. Possibly number 1.

Imran 1982-83 against India in Karachi. Getting 5 wickets in 25 balls. Cleaning up Sunny with a vicious in-dipper that came in miles.

and some of the 2Ws

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Shoaib Akhtar rolling out an ATG Aussie line-up for less than 120 on a dust bowl in Sharjah. Possibly number 1.

Imran 1982-83 against India in Karachi. Getting 5 wickets in 25 balls. Cleaning up Sunny with a vicious in-dipper that came in miles.

and some of the 2Ws
remember that Shoaib spell very very well...awesome

JBMAC

State Captain
Allan Davidson in the tied test(live) and on the idiot box Bob Massies haul against England

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Allan Davidson in the tied test(live) and on the idiot box Bob Massies haul against England
I never saw Davidson bowl so I'd shut up on that one. :)

But, I'm not sure about your Bob Massie point, good sir. Have seen the Ashes 1972 video a few times and looks to me that Massie bowled conventional swing to get his 16 wickets. :wacko:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
A lot of Waqar, Wasim spells and a few of McGrath are worthy of mention.

But for sheer impact value, it's difficult to look past Imran's 8-60 in Karachi, 1982/83.

I see that the good Samaritan Rob has already provided the video link, so I'll pass on this for your reading pleasure.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas getting 14 wickets against WI on a dead SSC featherbed. If Lara was given out correctly would have got about 18 wickets though.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Best spell of reverse swing from a non-subcontinent bowler surely S. Jones in 05.

Best of all obviously some Waqar haul though, too many to count really

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Vaas getting 14 wickets against WI on a dead SSC featherbed. If Lara was given out correctly would have got about 18 wickets though.
That was an amazing match performance. From memory, I don't think it was specifically a display of reverse swing bowling though.

Vaasy was very straight with the new ball and I'm pretty sure he accounted for quite a few wickets with his classical new-ball inducker to the right-handers that catches them on the crease.

And IIRC, when the ball got older, he relied on brilliantly pitched cutters and varying the angle at the crease rather than out-and-out banana reverse swing. Very intelligent piece of bowling, but are you sure he actually reverse swung the ball enough in that match? :wacko:

Btw, would love to see that performance again. Vaas vs. Lara was epic. Do you have any video links?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar on numerous occasions.

Simon Jones is best English bowler of this art. Some of his spells in 05 were awesome.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That was an amazing match performance. From memory, I don't think it was specifically a display of reverse swing bowling though.

Vaasy was very straight with the new ball and I'm pretty sure he accounted for quite a few wickets with his classical new-ball inducker to the right-handers that catches them on the crease.

And IIRC, when the ball got older, he relied on brilliantly pitched cutters and varying the angle at the crease rather than out-and-out banana reverse swing. Very intelligent piece of bowling, but are you sure he actually reverse swung the ball enough in that match? :wacko:

Btw, would love to see that performance again. Vaas vs. Lara was epic. Do you have any video links?
Most of his wickets were due to some serious reverse swing and he did it both ways too. Lefties were presented with a series of induckers then to get the out swinger, and righties kept leaving them until he swung one other way. Was an epic battle between Vaas and Lara not only the match the whole series. Lara tamed Murali for sure, but Vaas had Lara's number. Unfortunately nearly 5-6 lbw shouts off Vaas was turned down, which were mighty close. My gut feeling while watching live was that in all of them Lara was plumb. And adding to that Vaas bowled miserly, and Lara might have not scored 75 runs out of 600+ he amassed against SL. (although I cannot confirm this).

smash84

The Tiger King
one of the best reverse swing spells was Wasim against WI and then against SL both in 2000-01. After that series I think Ranatunga said that if he wanted to be born as another cricketer it would be wasim akram (IIRC. I know Allan Border said this once as well)