• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

talented players who didn't deliver as much as they could

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
198 all out on Boxing Day at the MCG. Imagine if Hughes hadn't got 100no. Aussie would have been all out for 98. Inconceivable, eh? :ph34r:
Wouldn't have been a disgrace to have been bundled out for 98 against that high-quality West Indian attack, tbf. :ph34r:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I am not sure if players who never played test cricket ought to be mentioned here. But one such extremely unlucky man was Haryana's champion left-arm spinner, Rajinder Goel.

His misfortune? Being born in the same era as Bedi, Chandra, Pras and Venkat. When these men hung up their boots, Goel was already well past his peak and that fizz off the pitch (that made him a feared prospect) had considerably flattened out.

Gavaskar, Jimmy Amarnath, his team-mate Kapil Dev, Ajit Wadekar and a host of test cricketers have spoken very highly of his ability. I have no doubt that in the 1963-78 era, he was as good a spinner as any, and in different circumstances, might have played tests and even been successful.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Akhtar-Asif-Aamer combined 335 test match wickets between them which is a shame since each of the 3 had the talent to take those 335 wickets on their own hopefully the next time we find a gun fast bowler we could discipline him to stay on the park.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
No doubt. What was his biggest strength ultimately also spelt his doom - his audacity. Unquestionably, a very sublime and capable strokeplayer.

I ought to lay my hands on "The Golden Boy" someday.
Yep you gotta read that book, seriously great read. I found similarities with Atherton's book too.

You gotta admire those players who play their own way even though it may have been to the detriment of the team, obviously he could've restrained himself on numerous occasions though, Greg Chappell was often furious for being Gower-esque, getting out in the ever before lunch or tea going for a big audacious shot! Made for great viewing though.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Azhar mahmood.

1) 128* Comes in at a 6/206 and takes them to 9/305 and then to 10/456 in rawalpindi vs SAF.

2) 136 Comes in at 5/112 and takes them to 10/329 in Johannesburg vs SAF.

3) 132 Comes in at 5/89 and takes them to 10/259 in Durban vs SAF. (Pak wins). He attacked allan donald on a very difficult track.

Azhar Mahmood 132 v South Africa 1998 Durban - YouTube

he averaged 77 at this point in his career. after that idk wtf happened...lol

smash84

The Tiger King
Akhtar-Asif-Aamer combined 335 test match wickets between them which is a shame since each of the 3 had the talent to take those 335 wickets on their own hopefully the next time we find a gun fast bowler we could discipline him to stay on the park.
So awta

Xuhaib

International Coach
Azhar mahmood.

1) 128* Comes in at a 6/206 and takes them to 9/305 and then to 10/456 in rawalpindi vs SAF.

2) 136 Comes in at 5/112 and takes them to 10/329 in Johannesburg vs SAF.

3) 132 Comes in at 5/89 and takes them to 10/259 in Durban vs SAF. (Pak wins). He attacked allan donald on a very difficult track.

Azhar Mahmood 132 v South Africa 1998 Durban - YouTube

he averaged 77 at this point in his career. after that idk wtf happened...lol
I think Razzaq's entry hurt him as Razzaq was given the riole which he was performing while Azhar was moved up and down the order, loosing focus like many young sub cont players who achieve early success may also have been an issue.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Back to the thread question - my answer may surprise some - but I'd name Waqar Younis and Brian Lara.

Yes, they achieved much. But I feel one had the talent to be unarguably the best bowler of all-time, and the other had the talent to be unarguably the second best batsman of all-time.

smash84

The Tiger King
it was not only their fault.

Waqar suffered a lot due to his injuries which were a consequence of his attacking bowling and also because of the politics in the Pakistan team.

Brian "Lora" (:ph34r:) had a completely **** team tbh

Xuhaib

International Coach
Waqar was not well rounded enough to be the best off all time one knew once his pace comes down his effectivness will reduce significantly which is what happened eventually, Lara I agree if he had Sachin's discipline he would have averaged atleast 10 runs higher.