• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heroic in the face of a hammering

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Martin Crowe in Pakistan in 1990. New Zealand got hammered 3-0, and managed a series high score of 287 as Waqar and Wasim ripped us to shreds. But Crowe still averaged 61 in the series, nearly twice as much as the next best kiwi batsmen. He was so good that afterwards Waqar said that Crowe was the best batsman he ever bowled to.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Robin Smith was pretty good from memory in the 1989 Ashes.
Indeed he was, but oddly, despite the walloping that England got (4-0 but without the rain it would have been 6-0), he didn't win the award for England's man of the series. A prize for anyone who can guess / remember who won it without looking it up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed he was, but oddly, despite the walloping that England got (4-0 but without the rain it would have been 6-0), he didn't win the award for England's man of the series. A prize for anyone who can guess / remember who won it without looking it up.
Atherton?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, Jack Russell. I remember the citation was to the effect that he was the only English player to outplay his Australian counterpart (a clumsy young Ian Healy).

wpdavid wins a commemorative can of baked beans

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know Lara in the SL series was huge but I am yet to see a batsman look more better than Lara did in the 99 series against Australia, against a really "great" bowling attack... I know it was not a hammering but in the batting side, it was mostly because of Lara.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

smash84

The Tiger King
Agree 10000%. That was out of this batting, completely dominated, in such a supreme way, in spite of insane media and crowd abuse. Was amazing just to watch it live, you couldn't believe your eyes at the mastery. Big scores, match winnings scores, ridiculous fast ton in the 4th test- what a massacre that was.

Brian Lara 213 vs Australia 2nd test 1999 - YouTube

Brian Lara 100 vs Australia 1999 Antigua - YouTube

Brian Lara 153* vs Australia 1999 Barbados - YouTube
gun batting

tooextracool

International Coach
If we arent restricting ourselves to test cricket, I'd throw Paul Nixon from the 2007 world cup. Averaged 39 odd, was responsible for keeping us alive in games we had no reason to be alive in and kept like he was on crack. All while being 36 and everyone around him was complete crap. Was possibly the only positive to come out for us that world cup though he never played again.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Border in the West Indies in 1984 averaged 70 odd, more than twice the next best by an Australian batsman iirc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we arent restricting ourselves to test cricket, I'd throw Paul Nixon from the 2007 world cup. Averaged 39 odd, was responsible for keeping us alive in games we had no reason to be alive in and kept like he was on crack. All while being 36 and everyone around him was complete crap. Was possibly the only positive to come out for us that world cup though he never played again.
Not a bad shout that.

JBMAC

State Captain
How about Lindsay Kline and Ken Mackay,Adelaide Test, 1960/61 series between WI and the Aussies. Gotta be up there
I also recall a Border/Thompson fight against the poms at the MCG

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Alec Stewart 9* vs. West Indies in 1998 at Sabina Park.

I filled my pants just watching it, so God knows what was going through his mind against Ambrose and Walsh on that pitch!!!