• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Barry Richards do enough to be considered in an All Time Team

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To all who saw him Barry Richards ranks as one of, if not the best Batsman of his time. These list would include such greats as Viv Richards, Greg Chappel, Boycott and Gavaskar. His talent and technique were unquestioned and possibly unrivalled. Unfortunately he played in only four tests and againts one team, which automatically raises questions as to how he would have fared consistently vs top class bowlers. He did perform creditably in first class cricket, but his only true test was in WSC, where once agin he shone. But was this all enough.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It really depends what do you want to call him, he is not a great test cricketer, but purely as a cricketer he has to be one of the greats based on what one saw of him, what his peers and historians thought of him and what he achieved in first class cricket. If you watch him play, he is to someone who batted like Greg Chappell and had an aggression of someone like Viv Richards. It is a shame that world couldn't get to see more of him.

‪Barry Richards - ESPN Legends Of Cricket No. 24 (Part 1)‬‏ - YouTube

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really depends what do you want to call him, he is not a great test cricketer, but purely as a cricketer he has to be one of the greats based on what one saw of him, what his peers and historians thought of him and what he achieved in first class cricket. If you watch him play, he is to someone who batted like Greg Chappell and had an aggression of someone like Viv Richards. It is a shame that world couldn't get to see more of him.

‪Barry Richards - ESPN Legends Of Cricket No. 24 (Part 1)‬‏ - YouTube
This.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No. There are lots of players who are prolific at first class level (Mark Ramprakash?) but do not have it in them at the Test level. I'm not saying Barry Richards was that, because IMO he wasn't clearly but all that matters is output.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No

But he's the most frustrating of all those who aren't because his potential was unfulfilled - I've never seen anyone make batting look as easy as Richards did and had a test career not been denied to him I think there must be every chance he'd have ended up second only to Bradman

shivfan

Banned
No, you can't pick someone based on potential alone....

Barry Richards was potentially a great player, but since he didn't play Test cricket, he can't be included in that list.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With all due respect to the OP I think the more interesting question is whether Graeme Pollock did enough

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the answer is yes to be honest, because of his WSC exploits - include him in the ranks of the greats.

Where he ranks amongst them is impossible to say though.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
With all due respect to the OP I think the more interesting question is whether Graeme Pollock did enough
excellent point. was thinking of bringing that up along with the headley's case and the hypothetical case of hussey had he retired after 24 or so tests.

Himannv

International Coach
I honestly feel the answer is yes. He did enough to be "considered" for an opening slot but there are simply others with better qualifications for the slot than him.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
I honestly feel the answer is yes. He did enough to be "considered" for an opening slot but there are simply others with better qualifications for the slot than him.
so, where would he be in a shortlist for the all time opening slot? ranked, please!

Himannv

International Coach
so, where would he be in a shortlist for the all time opening slot? ranked, please!
In my opinion personally:

Jack Hiobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Len Hutton
Herbert Sutcliffe
Barry Richards

In the order they were mentioned. Not including the likes of Grace and Trumper here because I find it harder to rank them and have no idea where to place them.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
it really depends what do you want to call him, he is not a great test cricketer, but purely as a cricketer he has to be one of the greats based on what one saw of him, what his peers and historians thought of him and what he achieved in first class cricket. If you watch him play, he is to someone who batted like greg chappell and had an aggression of someone like viv richards. It is a shame that world couldn't get to see more of him.

‪barry richards - espn legends of cricket no. 24 (part 1)‬‏ - youtube
awta

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, the same logic applies to Mike Procter among fast bowlers.

Procter was superlative in the little tests he played, he was superlative in WSC and simply awesome in FC. If Barry can be considered for an opening slot, then I see no reason why Procter can't be considered for a fast bowler's slot, even without considering Procter's decent batting prowess.

That's the main reason I personally think all of Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock and Mike Procter should be kept out of discussion for an all-time world XI (they were unlucky, let's keep it at that!), but they should definitely be automatic choices when it comes to a South African All-Time XI.