• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best subcontinental batsman: 2000-2010

Who is the best subcontinental test batsman (2000-2010)

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Last 2-3 years has left a bitter test. Many of us thinks he should make a way for Pujara or any such young lad.
True. People tend to remember the recent innings most and his form of late hasn't been all that great. That is the main reason that he is being under rated.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sehwag or Sanga, I dunno.

Sanga never had a serious dip in form from 2001-2010. The same can't be said of Tendulkar, Dravid or Sehwag. Reckon' Dravid would be a better contender for the 1995-2005 period.

On the other hand, You could easily substitute Sanga with Tendulkar, You can't do that with Sehwag and anyone. He played some mammoth Innings too. If Ponting scored the 1 in 30 ton out of 100 balls, They'd be rated as really great knocks IMHO, and Sehwag's frequency in scoring run-a-ball tons is really underrated. Sehwag has 7-8 of the top 20 knocks of the 00s, for me.

Can't choose between Sanga and Sehwag.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag or Sanga, I dunno.

Sanga never had a serious dip in form from 2001-2010. The same can't be said of Tendulkar, Dravid or Sehwag. Reckon' Dravid would be a better contender for the 1995-2005 period.

On the other hand, You could easily substitute Sanga with Tendulkar, You can't do that with Sehwag and anyone. He played some mammoth Innings too. If Ponting scored the 1 in 30 ton out of 100 balls, They'd be rated as really great knocks IMHO, and Sehwag's frequency in scoring run-a-ball tons is really underrated. Sehwag has 7-8 of the top 20 knocks of the 00s, for me.

Can't choose between Sanga and Sehwag.
Dravid only came into his prime after 2000 IMO. Think he has played more pivotal knocks than the rest of the contenders this decade, especially overseas, hence he takes it for me. Not by much though.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Those numbers include BD/Zim. Excluding them you get:

Sehwag 56
Inzamam 55
Jayawardane 54
Sangakkara 53
Laxman 53
Younis 52
Yousuf 52
Dravid 51
Tendulkar 51

If you look at tests in Aus, Eng and SA you get:
Tendulkar 56
Laxman 54
Dravid 53
Sehwag 45
Younis 43
Sangakarra 41
Yousuf 41
Jaywardane 38
Inzamam 37

It's the latter number which really separates the players IMO.
Differences in average...

Sachin +5
Dravid +2
Laxman +1
Younis -9
Sehwag -11
Yousuf -11
Sanga -12
Jayawardne -16
Inzi -18

I am truly surprised at how much the averages have dropped by only switching over to different conditions...

Sachin takes the crown for this one.....Inzi the biggest dead rubber bully.

smash84

The Tiger King
Dravid only came into his prime after 2000 IMO. Think he has played more pivotal knocks than the rest of the contenders this decade, especially overseas, hence he takes it for me. Not by much though.
True

Sachin by a mile for me.
Can't seem to choose between Dravid and Sachin.

Differences in average...

Sachin +5
Dravid +2
Laxman +1
Younis -9
Sehwag -11
Yousuf -11
Sanga -12
Jayawardne -16
Inzi -18

I am truly surprised at how much the averages have dropped by only switching over to different conditions...

Sachin takes the crown for this one.....Inzi the biggest dead rubber bully.
Pak batsmen have been the worst by FAR during the last decade.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Comparing Sanga who started in 2000 to well established Dravid, SRT and VVS is wrong IMO. As a pure batsman Sanga has stats heads and shoulders above anyone in that list.

vcs

Comparing Sanga who started in 2000 to well established Dravid, SRT and VVS is wrong IMO. As a pure batsman Sanga has stats heads and shoulders above anyone in that list.
My opinion is that the vast difference between Sanga's stats with and without the gloves has more to do with him reaching his prime as a batsman after he gave up keeping...

vcs

AWTA.

If we're talking purely 2000-2009, Dravid and Laxman are way in front of Tendulkar IMO.
Dravid is a bit ahead of Tendulkar (between 2000 and 2010). Laxman, Sangakkara and Tendulkar are about the same IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dravid is a bit ahead of Tendulkar (between 2000 and 2010). Laxman, Sangakkara and Tendulkar are about the same IMO.
I'd put Laxman ahead of Tendulkar because he's played more memorable, matchwinning innings.

vcs

I'd put Laxman ahead of Tendulkar because he's played more memorable, matchwinning innings.
That's fair enough I guess, considering I put Dravid ahead of the rest for pretty much the same reason, especially for his contribution to wins away from home. But Dravid also produced big runs and centuries on a consistent basis, which Laxman doesn't always do (partly because he bats down the order).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's fair enough I guess, considering I put Dravid ahead of the rest for pretty much the same reason, especially for his contribution to wins away from home. But Dravid also produced big runs and centuries on a consistent basis, which Laxman doesn't always do (partly because he bats down the order).
Without question. Dravid being overlooked for Tendulkar in teams of the decade is an absolute travesty. My argument is that I'd also put Laxman ahead of Tendulkar, but behind Dravid in a list of the best Indian batsmen of the decade.

Tendulkar's recent renaissance, combined with Dravid's alleged decline seems to have blinded a few people though. Dravid had a horrible 2008, granted, but since then he's scored 1,434 runs @ 62.34, which isn't bad for a batsman who's supposedly been in decline.

As an aside, when looking up Dravid's record since the start of 2009, something I found amused me. In that period, Tendulkar has faced 1,456 more balls than Sehwag has, and scored 4 more runs. :D

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My opinion is that the vast difference between Sanga's stats with and without the gloves has more to do with him reaching his prime as a batsman after he gave up keeping...
Yeah, but there's no way of really knowing home much is down to his prime and how much is down to giving up the gloves.
All you can say is that nowadays he's a ****ing incredible batsman

vcs

Yeah, but there's no way of really knowing home much is down to his prime and how much is down to giving up the gloves.
All you can say is that nowadays he's a ****ing incredible batsman
He's incredible without doubt, but not a 75 averaging batsman, IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha the Sanga keeper debate is so funny, because there is absolutely no way or proving it one way or another, unless he actually started keeping again (which will never happen).

It's one of those hilarious debates which is 100% speculative.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha the Sanga keeper debate is so funny, because there is absolutely no way or proving it one way or another, unless he actually started keeping again (which will never happen).

It's one of those hilarious debates which is 100% speculative.
Agree with that.