Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent Test Umpires - is this really necessary?

School Boy/Girl Captain Tom 1972's Avatar

Independent Test Umpires - is this really necessary?

Independent Test Umpires - is this really necessary?

I'd hope that Test level umpires should be completely professional and above match fixing, plus as an Aussie, I have had to endure pretty persistent "howlers" from the likes of Billy Bowden, Steve Bucknor and Rudi Koertzin. Not just decisions against Australia, but bad decisions against our opposition too, which can turn Test matches.

What do people think? Should the best umpires be able to umpire the biggest matches? I've seldom seen Simon Taufel umpire Tests.

I have full confidence in the umpires to be unbiased and however the appearance of impartiality is almost as important as impartiality itself. If, for example, Taufel made a terrible, match-turning decision in favour of Australia in a Test against India, even due merely to human error, I can't even begin to imagine what the reaction would be like. The sort of accusations that we levelled at Bucknor in similar circumstances and the mess surrounding that even though he isn't Australian gave us just a glimpse.

There are absolutely no positives for doing away with neutral umpires and there's a pretty obvious negative or two, so I'm firmly opposed to it.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

School Boy/Girl Captain Tom 1972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I have full confidence in the umpires to be unbiased and however the appearance of impartiality is almost as important as impartiality itself. If, for example, Taufel made a terrible, match-turning decision in favour of Australia in a Test against India, even due merely to human error, I can't even begin to imagine what the reaction would be like. The sort of accusations that we levelled at Bucknor in similar circumstances and the mess surrounding that even though he isn't Australian gave us just a glimpse.

There are absolutely no positives for doing away with neutral umpires and there's a pretty obvious negative or two, so I'm firmly opposed to it.
    Good points. But you'd think that the technology and referral system should reduce the likelihood of that happening. But I guess prevention is better than cure.

On Bucknor, he was simply past it and umpired a couple of years beyond when he should have.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom 1972 View Post
    Good points. But you'd think that the technology and referral system should reduce the likelihood of that happening. But I guess prevention is better than cure.

On Bucknor, he was simply past it and umpired a couple of years beyond when he should have.
    ICC need to enforce mandatory UDRS on all cricketing boards before the idea of a return to home-based umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    ICC need to enforce mandatory UDRS on all cricketing boards before the idea of a return to home-based umpiring.
    Yea this.

Quote Originally Posted by noble one View Post
    icc need to enforce mandatory udrs on all cricketing boards before the idea of a return to home-based umpiring.
    You can leave out the second half on that sentence and I'd still be in absolute agreement.

PS. That does meant they have to help pay for it too.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

While UDRS would help counteract bad decisions made by the Umpires... the criticisms and accusations of bias would still be levelled at the Umpires. Despite it being rectified, the mistake would still have been made. That's without considering what happens if a side has run out of referrals.
    As EWS said, there's no real worthwhile advantage that exceeds the risk/negatives.

The advantage would be more umpires on the panel, there are supposedly those who don't find the lifestyle at all appealing, with constant travel and rarely spending time in your own country, as you have to be overseas to do all your umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    The advantage would be more umpires on the panel, there are supposedly those who don't find the lifestyle at all appealing, with constant travel and rarely spending time in your own country, as you have to be overseas to do all your umpiring.
    Yup, and those are valid points. And perhaps UDRS would make it viable. otoh attitudes are so much less tolerant nowadays, especially now there's a championship involved. I'm not sure I could stomach a repeat of the bad feeling between England & Pakistan in the 1980's, or John Snow et al not being quite good enough to secure a single LBW decision from Aus umpires in 1970/71.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yes it is.

I do not ever want to see umpires from the home countries. Ever. Deadset against that idea completely even if UDRS is expanded to cover most decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Yeah i guess, the game has become quite fast now a days. Even though its hard to say that the umps are pure saints but i don't think they are biased when it comes to that split second where they have to make a decision. Its hard to be prejudiced in that short term anyway.

But i am in full favor of UDRS for some big bad decisions, i.e. inside edged lbws (which i have seen a lot off lately, possibly due to the floodlights, speed of bowlers, movement of the ball), wrongly claimed catches deliberately or not, snicks etc...these are turning points for a game like cricket and i think not only that 3 or so reviews are allowed per team. Any decision could be reviewable. Yes they will have to flex there contracts a bit with Sponsors or Broadcasting companies, but for the sake of the game it is crucial. I mean look at other sports, NHL, NFL, Soccer, they all have review systems with no limitations, close calls are looked at asap. On the other hand in cricket, only boundaries are given that level of importance, whether its a 4 or a 6 or nothing etc. It is about time that some fairness is created. Not to blame the umps in any way, but because the game has changed quite a bit now.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Erm football doesn't have any review systems.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Erm football doesn't have any review systems.
    For a sport like soccer you would generally not need a review. But if things are close ie. the ball crossed the line or not for a goal, (major issues like that) would be reviewed however, rarely. I guess it was a bad example...but Cricket is a different sport all together and it requires the availability of reviews.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    No, that's the whole issue with football at the moment, such incidents aren't reviewed or dealt with!

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    No, that's the whole issue with football at the moment, such incidents aren't reviewed or dealt with!
    Bad example then....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information