• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.50-41

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Great stuff Shaun.

Happy that Garner made the list. It came down to the choice between Garner and Roberts for me. On Test performances I could hardly split them, but Garner was simply the best ODI pace bowler of all time. He would still dominate now, if only today's pacemen could bowl a yorker like Garner at the death of an innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, looking at Jardine being on the list means that my number 3 would have made the list if I'd put him at number 1...I'd have loved to have seen the reaction to that. :D

Athlai

Not Terrible
Great stuff Shaun.

Happy that Garner made the list. It came down to the choice between Garner and Roberts for me. On Test performances I could hardly split them, but Garner was simply the best ODI pace bowler of all time. He would still dominate now, if only today's pacemen could bowl a yorker like Garner at the death of an innings.
Garner got bumped by Shaun Pollock in mine. Almost as good ODI bowler and also a handy batsman. Was gutted that I couldn't fit him in.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
40 people voted. So to be in the list you should get at least 10% of the votes or 4 votes. I think that's a fair criteria....
Not sure I agree with that. A player I had in my top 5 doesnt look to have made the top 50 (I guess I was the only one who voted for him). That is unfortunate but a min cut off of 10% of the vote panders to the more popular and modern players. There is a system in place and while I cant fathom Jardine being included (let alone raked number 1) or Flintoff the point is that they are other peoples choices not mine.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No issues regarding the rankings system from me. Isn't the point of these lists to have 2-3 random selections that create controversy and discussion?

The influence Flintoff and Jardine have had on the game surely puts them close to a top 50most influential cricketers of all time. It's not as if Pat Symcox has made the list, so I don't get the fuss.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id be interested in the number of people with a top 5 nominee that didnt make the top 50.

So far I know of 2 (Mynn and Hamilton)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How on earth does everyone know that there player did not make the top 50 when only 41 to 50 have so far been picked?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am fairly sure that all my top 10 will make it, 11 may be a problem but really hope he does, 13 will not but after that I really have no idea.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How on earth does everyone know that there player did not make the top 50 when only 41 to 50 have so far been picked?
I had asked if anyone else had voted for Mynn and (while it was quite early in the process) I assume I am the only one and I dont think it was enough to get him in.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I had asked if anyone else had voted for Mynn and (while it was quite early in the process) I assume I am the only one and I dont think it was enough to get him in.
I'm assuming it's Alfred Mynn, and given that cricinfo has a limited profile of him. I'd be genuinely interested as to why he's worthy of consideration.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was the one who put Garner up that high. Just thought that his test record is comparable to anyone, and a few people make the point about a lack of 10 wicket hauls, but when you're consistently bowling first change behind two other of the all time great bowlers, I don't hold that against him as much as others. Add in his record as, IMO, the best of all time with the white ball, and that explains why I had him so high.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm assuming it's Alfred Mynn, and given that cricinfo has a limited profile of him. I'd be genuinely interested as to why he's worthy of consideration.
Because he was without peer, undoubtedly the best player on the planet and the greatest the game had seen until Grace came along. Sure it was a different game back then but that does not change the Lion of Kent's accomplishments and impact.

If someone today was to write like Chaucer then they would get no recognition but we recognise the genius of generations past based on comparisions with their contemporaries and their legacy. As such, Mynn deserves to be recognised in terms of cricket as Chaucer and Shakespeare are in English literature.

EDIT- Agree or disagree, Im relieved to see Im not the only one that thinks this way. A quick search shows that John Woodcock has him ranked 4th (a place higher than I had him)
http://www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/153288.html

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Fair enough Goughy. I don't think all of the other 39 people have said yet that they haven't voted for him though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Because he was without peer, undoubtedly the best player on the planet and the greatest the game had seen until Grace came along. Sure it was a different game back then but that does not change the Lion of Kent's accomplishments and impact.

If someone today was to write like Chaucer then they would get no recognition but we recognise the genius of generations past based on comparisions with their contemporaries and their legacy. As such, Mynn deserves to be recognised in terms of cricket as Chaucer and Shakespeare are in English literature.

EDIT- Agree or disagree, Im relieved to see Im not the only one that thinks this way. A quick search shows that John Woodcock has him ranked 4th (a place higher than I had him)
Wisden - Woodcock's hundred

To be honest, if I could have been arsed researching him, he would have had a good shot at being included in my top 25.

Guy called John Lyttleton (sp.?) was also good back in the day.