• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Biggest Disgrace?

The Biggest Disgrace

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
Really? What did you reckon would be up (down?) there with Hansie and his leather jackets, arch?
I think the word disgrace was wrong, in my head I was thinking more controversy and discussion generated, and was expecting BL, but when you think about the content of the question and the options given then it is not surprising really:)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the word disgrace was wrong, in my head I was thinking more controversy and discussion generated, and was expecting BL, but when you think about the content of the question and the options given then it is not surprising really:)
See what you mean. As I said in my first post I think Bodyline is the most cultural significant event (all the others are relatively recent), but there's no way I could possibly agree that Lord Jardine is as culpable as Hansie was.

Not DRJ's fault Bradman spent the next 70 years having a sook and a cry about it. :ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
See what you mean. As I said in my first post I think Bodyline is the most cultural significant event (all the others are relatively recent), but there's no way I could possibly agree that Lord Jardine is as culpable as Hansie was.

Not DRJ's fault Bradman spent the next 70 years having a sook and a cry about it. :ph34r:
:laugh: low blow:@

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was not good to watch, I agree. But it is more a result of a stiff official following the law as it is written on paper rather than employing a bit of diplomacy to make the situation better. I dont think it belongs in the same list as match fixing. That is downright corruption and a real disgrace.
See, I saw the Pakistani walk-off differently. Hair perceived a breach in rules and issued a five-run penalty. He may have been right, may have been wrong. But he's the umpire. You don't walk off when you get a bad lbw decision, why walk off after that one?

bagapath

International Captain
See, I saw the Pakistani walk-off differently. Hair perceived a breach in rules and issued a five-run penalty. He may have been right, may have been wrong. But he's the umpire. You don't walk off when you get a bad lbw decision, why walk off after that one?
fair point

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely. Underarm, Bodyline, Murali being called and Hair docking runs from Pakistan were all within the rules of the game at the time. The match fixing is the only one for mine which clearly breaches the rules.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Definitely. Underarm, Bodyline, Murali being called and Hair docking runs from Pakistan were all within the rules of the game at the time. The match fixing is the only one for mine which clearly breaches the rules.
Yeah, 100% agreed. Match-fixing just undermines everything about the sport.

Bouncer

State Regular
It is interesting and very obvious that most people have voted for Betting Scandal (Mr Cronje) as the biggest disgrace. But to me Ian chappell's act was more disgrace as an individual than whole betting saga, as there were many people involved in fixing saga, players from India/Pakistan/SA and arguably players from other teams too, so addressing that and labelling it as Cronje's saga is not entirely correct.

Where as the Under arm incident is more disgraceful as in that case one indvidual who is a veteran of many years of international cricket, knew the spirit of the game, knew the emotions attached to NZ/AUS cricket, took the decision in front of house full of people at MCG is more disgraceful than any act carried out in a cricket field

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While an incorrect LBW decision doesn't insinuate that you are a cheat, this decision does. It will make it the norm that Pakistan will be accused of ball tampering whenever a Pakistani bowler gets reverse swing.

I don't think those two issues compare at any level. Hair was pretty dumb in doing that. How much would it have cost him to take up the issue with the refree at the end of the days play instead of insulting them.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
While an incorrect LBW decision doesn't insinuate that you are a cheat, this decision does.
It's not as if players in that Pakistan team were incapable of underhand behavior though. Shahid Afridi trying to damage the pitch during a bombscare when he thought no-one was looking; Mo Asif taking performance-enhancing drugs; Shoaib Akhtar taking performance-enhancing drugs. I can fully understand that the mistaken allegations of ball-tampering were difficult for the Pakistan team to swallow, and it's a sensitive subject given the fact that more of a fuss has been made in the past when Pakistan players indulge in ball-tampering than when those from other countries do it; but nonetheless I think that they over-reacted, particularly since they were certainly not all angels. And some of the character assassination of Daryl Hair afterwards was pretty disgraceful.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It's not as if players in that Pakistan team were incapable of underhand behavior though. Shahid Afridi trying to damage the pitch during a bombscare when he thought no-one was looking; Mo Asif taking performance-enhancing drugs; Shoaib Akhtar taking performance-enhancing drugs. I can fully understand that the mistaken allegations of ball-tampering were difficult for the Pakistan team to swallow, and it's a sensitive subject given the fact that more of a fuss has been made in the past when Pakistan players indulge in ball-tampering than when those from other countries do it; but nonetheless I think that they over-reacted, particularly since they were certainly not all angels. And some of the character assassination of Daryl Hair afterwards was pretty disgraceful.
I think they were right in their protests. Daryl Hair was pompous enough to believe that he can conclusively say it is ball tampering with out looking at any footage. I don't find any relation between them not being angels and this episode. The fact of the matter is Hair had no proof other than his beliefs and had no grounds to do as he did. He was right to be criticized. His poor man management skills where the sole reason for the match being abandoned.

BTW, Warne had dealings with bookies, failed a drug test, has been involved in various scandals. Would he have taken this quietly just because he is no angel?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While an incorrect LBW decision doesn't insinuate that you are a cheat, this decision does. It will make it the norm that Pakistan will be accused of ball tampering whenever a Pakistani bowler gets reverse swing.

I don't think those two issues compare at any level. Hair was pretty dumb in doing that. How much would it have cost him to take up the issue with the refree at the end of the days play instead of insulting them.
Okay, what about when the umpires referred Nathan Hauritz's catch at Lord's and gave it not-out? That implies that Hauritz is a cheat, because it was a catch that he had claimed.

Did the Australians walk off? No, because you don't do that in professional sport. You stand there and take the umpire's decision. You let him do his job and you get on with yours. Period.