• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

bagapath

International Captain
isn't it time someone came up with the criteria to make a shortlist of real greats in ODI and see if Dhoni makes it to the top 10? my guess in richards, sachin, wasim, gilchrist and pollock will take the top 5.

i have to ask the thread starter to take the initiative and set up a poll.

for starters we can define these parameters as cut off points

leaving aside minnows, a batsman should have scored at least 2500 runs with a batting avg > 30 and SR > 70. the bowler should have taken more 100 wickets with a bowl avg < 30 and SR < 45 and ER < 4.5

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's the second in all time list for best economies (Adjusted according to the rest of the world ERs), First one is Garner (no surprises there). But I think McGrath, Wasim and Murali are well above Pollock as ODI bowlers.
Yeah, i don't think he really is the greatest ODI bowler ever. I just think he has a pretty good case to be.

And when you consider his batting too, i find it difficult to see anyone else as the greatest ODI player ever.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, i don't think he really is the greatest ODI bowler ever. I just think he has a pretty good case to be.

And when you consider his batting too, i find it difficult to see anyone else as the greatest ODI player ever.
Jayasuriya has a BIG claim there. 12000 runs and 300 wickets is not a joke.

Uppercut

Jayasuriya has a BIG claim there. 12000 runs and 300 wickets is not a joke.
He'd probably make my all-time ODI XI, but i don't think he's better than Polly. His batting isn't as good as Polly's bowling, and his bowling isn't as good as Polly's batting.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He'd probably make my all-time ODI XI, but i don't think he's better than Polly. His batting isn't as good as Polly's bowling, and his bowling isn't as good as Polly's batting.
but some how wins matches more than Pollock, That's the X factor with him, which Viv Richards, Wasim and Tendulkar used to have, and to a slightly lesser degree de Silva used to.

Uppercut

but some how wins matches more than Pollock, That's the X factor with him, which Viv Richards, Wasim and Tendulkar used to have, and to a slightly lesser degree de Silva used to.
That's his style though. There are players like Jayasuriya, Gayle and Gibbs who you know will win you a game if they get going, but more often than not don't. Then there are players like Pollock, McGrath, Vettori who contribute to the team a lot more often, almost every game in fact, but less often "single-handedly win" matches (although usually that's a bit of a fallacy). I don't think that makes Jayasuriya the better player when neither his primary nor secondary skill match up to Polly's.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I like Dhoni in ODi's, and if I was picking an all-time ODi XI I'd have Dhoni in, purely as I don't think Gilchrist's a good enough opener to get in ahead of Hayden, so would be batting down the order, and Dhoni's the better middle/lower order keeper in ODi's. Certainly not the best ODi cricketer though, that goes to Sir Viv or Tendulkar for mine.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Give him the Aussie bowling attack and get him three appearances.
Still, Gilchrist has an alltime knock in a World Cup final on his resume. That cant be taken away from him.

A great knock in the biggest game of your life. Performance in the biggest games and winning counts for a lot. If Tom Brady was a Buffalo Bill then he wouldnt be the same.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dhoni in odi's is >>>> Gilchrist in odi's

Gilchrist would struggle to make the list of all time top 10 odi openers while Dhoni has a strong claim of being a 2nd best odi finisher just behind Bevan then you have to take Dhoni awesome captaincy in to the equation aswell.

bagapath

International Captain
Dhoni in odi's is >>>> Gilchrist in odi's

Gilchrist would struggle to make the list of all time top 10 odi openers while Dhoni has a strong claim of being a 2nd best odi finisher just behind Bevan then you have to take Dhoni awesome captaincy in to the equation aswell.
disagree. when cricinfo magazine asked a panel of 11 experts to select a dream ODI XI only two players made it to all the eleven teams. they were viv richards and adam gilchrist.

gilly is definitely a top 10 opener of all time. dhoni will find it difficult to dislodge gilly from an all time one day XI (he wont even be a contender in a test XI) simply because gilchrist batted right at the top and set up the game for his team. dhoni is not yet a certainty in these imaginary teams.

(if you are curious sachin was left out by rameez raja who preferred sanath to open with gilly. everyone else had sachin in his team. )

all-time top 10 one-day openers would be, in no particular order,..

sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar
sanath jayauriya
saurav ganguly
adam gilchrist
mark waugh
mathew hayden
gordon greenidge
desmond haynes
chris gayle

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ok, challenge. Name 9 better
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar

sanath jayauria
saurav ganguly
mark waugh
mathew hayden
gordon greenidge
desmond haynes
chris gayle

B.Lara
N.Knight
Trescothick
The ones in bold are all clearly superior while the others are comparable with preference depending on mood and taste.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
sachin tendulkar
saeed anwar

sanath jayauria
saurav ganguly
mark waugh
mathew hayden
gordon greenidge
desmond haynes
chris gayle

B.Lara
N.Knight
The ones in bold are all clearly superior while the others are comparable with preference depending on mood and taste.
You rate Haynes over Greenidge?

As for the others

Sachin Tendulkar Yes
saeed anwar No
saurav ganguly No
mark waugh No
desmond haynes No
chris gayle No
B.Lara No

There is noone in the history of the game with a higher strike rate at a better average than Gilchrist.

The perfect destructive force to open the batting. Made aggressive players look timid and managed to do it very regularly.

Xuhaib

International Coach

As for the others

Sachin Tendulkar Yes
saeed anwar No
saurav ganguly No
mark waugh No
desmond haynes No
chris gayle No
B.Lara No

There is noone in the history of the game with a higher strike rate at a better average than Gilchrist.

The perfect destructive force to open the batting. Made aggressive players look timid and managed to do it very regularly.
Have not seen them much but from what I remember Haynes was always a more reliable player. Its a matter of opinion especially when the stats are comparable, Gilchrist to me always seemed a lesser threat then any of these that I mentioned.

Slifer

International Captain

As for the others

Sachin Tendulkar Yes
saeed anwar No
saurav ganguly No
mark waugh No
desmond haynes No
chris gayle No
B.Lara No

SR isnt everything. ne way ne one who saw Lara in his earlier days destroying the likes of: Donald, Waqar, Akram, DeVilliers, etc would know better than to question his greatness as an odi opener. admittedly he faded tremendously towards the end of his career but i tend not to hold this against him. the others i cant comment on but as ODI openers Lara>Gilchrist

Xuhaib

International Coach
SR isnt everything. ne way ne one who saw Lara in his earlier days destroying the likes of: Donald, Waqar, Akram, DeVilliers, etc would know better than to question his greatness as an odi opener. admittedly he faded tremendously towards the end of his career but i tend not to hold this against him. the others i cant comment on but as ODI openers Lara>Gilchrist
Yeah people tend to forget how awsome an odi opener BCL was, infact I don't even know why he stopped opening if he would have continued he sure would ended with career figures much superior then he ended up with mind you they are still awesome.