• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

akilana

International 12th Man
Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world. His numbers are terrific - right up there with the best in history - but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be held in as high esteem. Can't help but think it's because he doesn't the bounce that some of the ATG greats get so might be a bit short on that intimidation factor that we all seem to associate with the great quicks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world
Does anyone think he's not the best?

Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.

Andre

International Regular
Does anyone think he's not the best?

Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.
Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, there's a huge presence about Steyn. I mean, I expect him to take a wicket every time he starts a new spell. T

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.
The hell? Steyn has an awesome presence.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wishful thinking TBH. Most probably on par with Steyn with speed, and bowling to a set of batsmen with better equipment will seal the deal.
Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed
They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.
The main reason they didn't prosper was because the laws didn't suit them - there was the lbw law for one and uncovered wickets for another - the likes of Lohmann and other slow and medium paced bowlers got all the benefits of those - the simple reality is that Larwood apart there weren't any really quick bowlers around in the late 20s/early 30s, which is part of the reason England got such a nasty shock when Constantine and Martindale, who were a good deal slower than Larwood, bowled Bodyline at them in 1933

smash84

The Tiger King
im pretty sure you are wrong about me not watching that.

ya just 2 tests after coming from an injury which proves nothing. he has done better in worse conditions against better batsmen.. even morkel took a 5-for in UAE and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
I am more convinced than ever that you didn't watch that series :p

SA complained after the series that the pitches were too damn flat

and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
straw man.

I never questioned his ability to take wickets

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

The fact that it is a weak field in no way diminishes his greatness, currently he stands either 1 or 2 all time for SA and that is no mean feat.

Top_Cat

Reckon he's like McGrath in the late 90's, right at the point where people switch from rating him as the best of his era to wondering how he compares to other acknowledged greats. His last few series' haven't been as destructive as the couple of years beforehand so you'd imagine he'll have to adjust to keep taking wickets at a similar rate, oppo batters seem to be getting better at responding to that ridiculously dangerous outie of his. How he responds to that will probably be the pivot point for whether he'd regarded as an all-time-great or the best of his time.

Personally, I prefer him already over Donald.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon he's like McGrath in the late 90's, right at the point where people switch from rating him as the best of his era to wondering how he compares to other acknowledged greats. His last few series' haven't been as destructive as the couple of years beforehand so you'd imagine he'll have to adjust to keep taking wickets at a similar rate, oppo batters seem to be getting better at responding to that ridiculously dangerous outie of his. How he responds to that will probably be the pivot point for whether he'd regarded as an all-time-great or the best of his time.
People will probably look back at this series as below par for Steyn but the fact is that he was top wicket taker in the series.

flibbertyjibber

People will probably look back at this series as below par for Steyn but the fact is that he was top wicket taker in the series.
Na, I thought he had a good series, when they needed a wicket he invariably got it or looked the most likely to get it. Guy is top dawer, clearly the best at the moment, where that means he is overall I have no idea.

Is he even the best South African ahead of Donald and Pollock?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The main reason they didn't prosper was because the laws didn't suit them - there was the lbw law for one and uncovered wickets for another - the likes of Lohmann and other slow and medium paced bowlers got all the benefits of those - the simple reality is that Larwood apart there weren't any really quick bowlers around in the late 20s/early 30s, which is part of the reason England got such a nasty shock when Constantine and Martindale, who were a good deal slower than Larwood, bowled Bodyline at them in 1933
Bingo. Because the rest was so poor Larwood would made to look better. Get him in among Marshall, Lillee, Hadlee, Ambrose, Imran or Kapil or among Waqar, Wasim, Donald, McGrath, Walsh and Bishop, he will not look special.

If Steyn is regarded best in the era because rest is poor (and as the worst best fast bowler), Larwood has more claims for it, being surrounded by even a piss poorer bunch than Steyn. Steyn at least have Morkel, Philander and Anderson around him.