• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is a point to be made there, in the sense that Larwood had no competition at all for the title of the 1930's greatest quick, but then again he would have been the greatest in any era
Even in the 70s/ 80s?

Jager

International Debutant
There is a point to be made there, in the sense that Larwood had no competition at all for the title of the 1930's greatest quick, but then again he would have been the greatest in any era
Tangy speaks the truth as always

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Richard being Richard, by the looks of things.
"He didn't perform in England or Australia."
"Here's two examples of where he did."
"But I didn't watch that Test, so it must never have happened."

I agree Tangy, Larwood is the greatest of all time.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Steyn will without a doubt be considered SA's best ever bowler by the time his career ends imo. Best SR out of bowlers to take a decent amount of wickets - the ultimate fast bowler.

(Yes my opinion is slightly tainted).

MrPrez

International Debutant
Better than Donald? Not quite so convinced about that one? But time will tell.
It'll certainly be close. Dale has mastered the art of reliance on skill over speed already, though, so that fairs well for when he ages. His SR is just insane, easily better than Donald's (whose SR is amazing too).

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yep, Steyn is already probably better than Donald, and that by itself tells you all you need to know about Dale.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That was a little period in which Ntini was regarded as the best fast bowler in the world; Lee took over the mantle after that for another little period before we entered the Steyn era. History is probably littered with little periods like that and I certainly regard Larwood as being a class above Lee and Ntini. There are probably others like that too.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Steyn will without a doubt be considered SA's best ever bowler by the time his career ends imo. Best SR out of bowlers to take a decent amount of wickets - the ultimate fast bowler.

(Yes my opinion is slightly tainted).
Much as I love Steyn, Waqar is my favourite cricketer of all-time and I want him to get back the record tbh. Waqar's SR was better at the stage of his career that Steyn is in and finally ended up at 43.1 which is a couple points higher than Steyn's is now.

I want Steyn to do well but retire with a higher SR. :p

smash84

The Tiger King
Much as I love Steyn, Waqar is my favourite cricketer of all-time and I want him to get back the record tbh. Waqar's SR was better at the stage of his career that Steyn is in and finally ended up at 43.1 which is a couple points higher than Steyn's is now.

I want Steyn to do well but retire with a higher SR. :p
haha.....Steyn will have to slip up a bit towards the end of his career to allow his SR to dip. Maybe playing more in the UAE will certainly increase his SR.

Usain bolt would side with you I suppose

Usain Bolt - "Waqar Younis Was My Inspiration & Pakistan Was My Team" - YouTube

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Here are some interesting statistical facts about Dale Steyn's SR.

- Of all bowlers in test history to take more than 75 wickets, Steyn has the third lowest strike rate (41) ever. Only Shane Bond and George Lohmann have lower SRs, and both those men played only 18 tests each. Steyn has now played 57 tests. Which means....

- Steyn takes wickets in less balls than every other bowler (with more than 75 wickets) in test history, apart from the two mentioned above.

- His SR is approximately ten balls less per wicket than Trueman, Hadlee, Holding, Lillee, McGrath and Garner. That's a considerable difference, considering the names mentioned there.