• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best cricket books that you've read

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For me, in no particular order:

• Silence of The Heart
  • Anyone But England
  • Days in the Sun
  • Beyond a Boundary

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of books on individual players, especially autobiographical. I prefer books that take a broader perspective, and analyze the game or a part of the game from a wider angle.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
David Frith's Bodyline Autopsy is probably as close to the definitive tome on any given subject as one could possibly wish for.

In defiance of SS's disdain for autobiographical works I also love Simon Hughes's A Lot of Hard Yakka (the sequel Yakking Around The World is also pretty bloody good) & Ed Smith's On & Off the Field.

archie mac

International Coach

• Silence of The Heart
  • Anyone But England
  • Days in the Sun
  • Beyond a Boundary

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of books on individual players, especially autobiographical. I prefer books that take a broader perspective, and analyze the game or a part of the game from a wider angle.
Three good books:ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

• Silence of The Heart
  • Anyone But England
  • Days in the Sun
  • Beyond a Boundary

I never actually succeeded in locating a copy of Silence of the Heart. I ordered one off a website in August but it never came (nor was I charged though). Any help with that from anyone would be much appreciated.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not a book conniseur but I found Gary Kirsten's Autobiography Gazza, very interesting.. He basically gets everyone else to talk about him instead of saying things himself.. Quite a nice approach

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
David Frith's Bodyline Autopsy is probably as close to the definitive tome on any given subject as one could possibly wish for.

In defiance of SS's disdain for autobiographical works I also love Simon Hughes's A Lot of Hard Yakka (the sequel Yakking Around The World is also pretty bloody good) & Ed Smith's On & Off the Field.
Actually, though I don't like autobiographical books as a general rule, A Lot of Hard Yakka is an exception. I've also been trying to get a hold of Yakking Around The World in the US, but obviously it's pretty hard around here.

Uppercut

The Ed Smith book is fantastic. He's the best sportsman at writing I've ever come across.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
VITSTL, out of that list, 'Anyone But England' would probably be the first one I recommend. I'll check out your review.

EDIT: Just read it, and aside from agreeing that it was well written, I can't find anything else to agree with in there. :D I thought it was one of the best, if not the single best, book on cricket in terms of dispassionate analysis that I've read.

Last edited:

Burgey

Haven't read Beyond a Boundary yet. Any idea where in Aus I could find it and also No Coward Soul, which by the review, sounds fantastic?

archie mac

International Coach
VITSTL, out of that list, 'Anyone But England' would probably be the first one I recommend. I'll check out your review.

EDIT: Just read it, and aside from agreeing that it was well written, I can't find anything else to agree with in there. :D I thought it was one of the best, if not the single best, book on cricket in terms of dispassionate analysis that I've read.
I may have had a bad couple of days when i read it, as everyone else seems to love it. We might have to get you to write another review to even things up:-O

_Ed_

I really enjoyed Penguins Stopped Play by Harry Thompson. That was as much a travel book as a cricket book, but highly entertaining.

archie mac

International Coach
Haven't read Beyond a Boundary yet. Any idea where in Aus I could find it and also No Coward Soul, which by the review, sounds fantastic?
I have not read NCS yet, but I will get a copy from Roger Page 0394356332

BAB has been published heaps of times, I am sure Roger will have one, and pretty cheap as well:)