• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, Broad looking increasingly like a better batsman then Ambrose, Collingwood or Freddie.
He is certainly showing promise.

Though given he has no hundred at any level its hard to suggest him as a batsman.

Certainly looks capable of scoring useful runs and taking part in pain in the arse partnerships.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This partnership scoring at over 4 and a half per over, keep going beyond 600 if they're not bowled out first. Would be nice to be in a situation where England can make them follow-on if necessary without having to worry too much about chasing a 150-200 in the fourth innings.

open365

International Vice-Captain
If Fred gets fit again it's looking like a straight shootout between Anderson and Collingwood given how awesome Broad is batting right now, and how bad Freddy's form has been lately.

Ntit is looking dire aswell, I don't see him lasting past the second test unless he drasticaly improves soon.

Woodster

International Captain
Some of the shots Broad forces off the back foot with power are shots of a better bat than a number 8. If Freddie does come back in the side, Broad may find himself demoted to number 9!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
On current form:
7. Broad
8. Ambrose
9. Flintoff

Broad's batting form will soon desert him (and Flintoff's and Ambrose's will come back), but why waste it while it is in full flow?

Woodster

International Captain
On current form:
7. Broad
8. Ambrose
9. Flintoff

Broad's batting form will soon desert him (and Flintoff's and Ambrose's will come back), but why waste it while it is in full flow?
Would still prefer :
7. Flintoff
8. Ambrose
9. Broad

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would still prefer :
7. Flintoff
8. Ambrose
9. Broad
Ambrose is probably going to get some undue flack for his dismissal today, not specifically, but it being a continuation of poor batting form - however, I thought the delivery wasn't too bad.

grecian

He is certainly showing promise.

Though given he has no hundred at any level its hard to suggest him as a batsman.

Certainly looks capable of scoring useful runs and taking part in pain in the arse partnerships.
I know his lack of form at first-class level is puzzling, but he just looks the part. It would be nice to see Notts putting him up the order. I'm sure he could score tons at county level at least.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Good punning by irfan there. :laugh:

Personally, I'm in favour of England batting through 'till we get to about 600-650 if possible - SA's batting lineup is strong, and they won't bowl this badly again in the second innings, so only batting once would be preferable. I'd back us to bowl them out twice in eight or nine sessions.

Scaly piscine

I think if the keeper is going to bat at 8/9 you may as well pick someone else, Ambrose seems to make a lot of low scores and you'd be better with someone who can do some quick cameos like a Mustard. I do think Broad should be left at 8 and Flintoff albeit largely rubbish with the bat can do some damage but needs time to get in so he'd be 7.

Woodster

International Captain
Ambrose is probably going to get some undue flack for his dismissal today, not specifically, but it being a continuation of poor batting form - however, I thought the delivery wasn't too bad.
Every time an England keeper fails with the bat they incur some form of criticism and monotonous speculation over their position. It was a decent enough ball that perhaps if he'd been in a while or was in good nick would probably not have got him out.

If Freddie returns and bats at 7, the onus on the keeper becomes more about actually keeping wicket than scoring runs and may release a little bit of pressure on the batting side of things. You expect a top 7 like England would then have to score enough runs with Ambrose and Broad chipping in and at times being part of big partnerships.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ha, just on cricinfo someone has pointed out that it's the 5th time in 7 innings Broad has got a new highest score.

I wonder what the most ever new highest scores for a player is?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
To any South Africans (and don't infer anything from this question, just curious), how quick is Zondeki? Skysports said his top speed is 87.5mph, but I somehow doubt that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To any South Africans (and don't infer anything from this question, just curious), how quick is Zondeki? Skysports said his top speed is 87.5mph, but I somehow doubt that.
Zondeki used to be quick and he can still crank it up. Not particularly good bowler though IMO. There are certainly many slower.

social

this is where yest cricket gets dull

565 is more than enough runs

Scoring rate is average

It's now about milestones

Get runs or get out