• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

embarassing/ immature XI

Flem274*

123/5
Cairns once kicked the ass of national coach during practice session I heard...though I am not aware in details I must confess...
Nah he never did anything like that. His only real blow up was with Glenn Turner (who he never hit, just shouted at). Turner and Cairns are opposites in terms of personality. Its well documented in the books of a few players, I'd look it up but that means walking to the bookshelf.:p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dislike him ever since he gave Damien Martyn that sendoff.. Mind you, he was probably provoked..
That was inappropriate, but it was one incident as a 19 year old on his first tour playing int'lk cricket. For mine, for someone who was pushed into the spotlight at such a young age and had to deal not only with at first being India's #1 pace bowler at 19, but also their 'next allrounder' he's handled himself pretty damn well.

masterblaster

International Captain
Harbhajan Singh, and as much as I love Andre Nel, has to be a place for him somewhere..

I've got a real dislike for Irfan Pathan.. I'd be horrified if someone as smug as he looks turned up for my side..
Worst call ever. Irfan is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet and one of the most hardworking. Had the pleasure of meeting him up in Perth during this summer before the game started, truly was a great experience meeting him. As pasag said, he's always got a smile on his face and is always positive. Doesn't deserve to be even mentioned in this thread.

Neither does Sourav Ganguly. The Ganguly of 2001 who thought he was untouchable may have been an idiot. But the Ganguly of today is a much more mature, mellow individual. Clearly his dropping in 2006 really hit him hard and he's come back better than ever with a much more humble and gracious attitude.

masterblaster

International Captain
That was inappropriate, but it was one incident as a 19 year old on his first tour playing int'lk cricket. For mine, for someone who was pushed into the spotlight at such a young age and had to deal not only with at first being India's #1 pace bowler at 19, but also their 'next allrounder' he's handled himself pretty damn well.
Agreed completely. Irfan's grown a lot since then. People forget that it happened in 2004. That's four years ago!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone who has ever been guilty of match fixing should be the first to walk into this side. I have no clue whatsoever why that wouldn't be the biggest and most embarrassing thing for your country. Secondly should be those who did drugs and/or are racist bastards. And finally, it would be on field embarrassments that didn't involve those.

So you have: Malik, Azharuddin, Jadeja, Cronje, Ajay Sharma, Gibbs, Harbhajan, Asif, Akhtar, Warne, Lehmann.

There is your 11, and you don't even need to go to the Gavaskar, Miandad, Lillee, etc. Which are all very annoying, but nowhere near the embarrassment that those guys above are when they did it.

On the drugs, I don't give a **** what cricketers do in terms of steroids, but I realize people are embarrassed about that, otherwise I wouldn't have Warne and Asif in there. Akhtar remains for his steroids, plus his other shenanigans.

Irfan Pathan is the last guy you would want in this XI, there are about five Indians alone who'd be ahead of him. He isn't a Test class bowler, but he always gives it his all for the team, and is probably the nicest guys you will ever meet. It's utterly ridiculous to have him anywhere near this side.

So here is my side:

1. Lehmann
  2. Malik
  3. Azharuddin
  4. Jadeja
  5. Cronje
  6. Ajay Sharma
  7. Gibbs
  8. Warne
  9. Harbhajan
  10. Asif
  11. Akhtar

Three Pakistanis, four Indians, two Australians, and two South Africans. Maybe too biased against the subcontinental players, but that's where the match fixing controversy originated, so it makes sense.

All my opinion of course, but I take the term embarrassment to mean something a lot more serious than a couple heat of the moment things.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who has ever been guilty of match fixing should be the first to walk into this side. I have no clue whatsoever why that wouldn't be the biggest and most embarrassing thing for your country. Secondly should be those who did drugs and/or are racist bastards. And finally, it would be on field embarrassments that didn't involve those.

So you have: Malik, Azharuddin, Jadeja, Cronje, Ajay Sharma, Gibbs, Harbhajan, Asif, Akhtar, Warne, Lehmann.

There is your 11, and you don't even need to go to the Gavaskar, Miandad, Lillee, etc. Which are all very annoying, but nowhere near the embarrassment that those guys above are when they did it.

On the drugs, I don't give a **** what cricketers do in terms of steroids, but I realize people are embarrassed about that, otherwise I wouldn't have Warne and Asif in there. Akhtar remains for his steroids, plus his other shenanigans.

Irfan Pathan is the last guy you would want in this XI, there are about five Indians alone who'd be ahead of him. He isn't a Test class bowler, but he always gives it his all for the team, and is probably the nicest guys you will ever meet. It's utterly ridiculous to have him anywhere near this side.

So here is my side:

1. Lehmann
  2. Malik
  3. Azharuddin
  4. Jadeja
  5. Cronje
  6. Ajay Sharma
  7. Gibbs
  8. Warne
  9. Harbhajan
  10. Asif
  11. Akhtar

Three Pakistanis, four Indians, two Australians, and two South Africans. Maybe too biased against the subcontinental players, but that's where the match fixing controversy originated, so it makes sense.

All my opinion of course, but I take the term embarrassment to mean something a lot more serious than a couple heat of the moment things.
:laugh:

Gavaskar, Miandad, Sreesanth, Akhtar, Harbhajan spring to mind.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:laugh:

Gavaskar, Miandad, Sreesanth, Akhtar, Harbhajan spring to mind.
I have the latter two in the XI, in case you didn't notice. The first three didn't fix matches or do drugs or shout racist abuse.

The ones I have are much more embarassing than threatening to leave the field. These guys actually fixed games, or cheated blatantly or otherwise, or were racists.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Were Gavaskar and Miandad really that embarrassing on the field as compared to the other names that have been pointed out?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The batsmen are tougher detail. These are my bowlers and allrounders. A certain high profile Indian spinner didnt make it in.

6. Botham- Never matured or learnt to take his game to the next level after injuries made life tougher. Involved in number of idiotic stunts
7. Ranatunga- Pompous little fat man. Was just what SL needed, but was still overly confrontational and pigheaded.
8. Warne- Cheeky schoolboy stuck in a multimillionaire mans body with additional paranoia and insecurities. A tabloids dream.
9. Akhtar- High maintenance and preening. Like he feels he is above playing cricket anymore.
10. Nel- Cringe worthy to watch and typifies the word 'idiot'.
11. Sreesanth - Like watching a 13 year old girl dress in mothers clothing. Just looks wrong and fake. Everything screams 'Wannabee'

EDIT- Interestingly and accidentally (as Im not one for being PC for the sake of it) each of the players is from a different country.

funnygirl

State Regular
Goughy ,how can u ignore Harbhajjan ? He is a bigger prat and mess than any of those mentioned .As much as i dislike Sreesanth ,Bhajji is definitely a cut above him and in a different league compared to others .

funnygirl

State Regular
Were Gavaskar and Miandad really that embarrassing on the field as compared to the other names that have been pointed out?
Gavaskar ,atleast excusable .Miandad , a legend he is ,but come on ,he was really embarassing ,constant verbal abuse (especially behind the stumps) ,frog jumping and a lot.He will definitely be remebered for those tantrums also .

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, though does it have to be embarrasment caused on filed? Were that the case, you could well not have guys like Botham considered. Can't really recall on filed embarrasment caused by the character traits set down at the start of the thread.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Personalities are what make a sport worth following in between the milestones / victories and losses.

Without some of these guys we won't be having much fun in forums. :laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Gavaskar ,atleast excusable .Miandad , a legend he is ,but come on ,he was really embarassing ,constant verbal abuse (especially behind the stumps) ,frog jumping and a lot.He will definitely be remebered for those tantrums also .
Hmmm I consider Miandad more of a character than an embarrassment. The one incident you can definitely say was an embarrassment was the bat-raising on Lillee. Though even there you can argue he was provoked. In any case, I can see why people would see his antics as an embarrassment. I just think there are others more worthy that's all. From a Pakistani perspective, I would say Malik, Akhtar, Aamir Sohail, Sarfaraz Nawaz, and Shahid Afridi are bigger embarrassments than Miandad.