• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

embarassing/ immature XI

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Though even there you can argue he was provoked.
It's not an argument. He clearly was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvGYPosD8E

Lillee kicked him! Unlike Miandad, I wouldn't have stopped with simply raising the bat. I'd get my ass kicked in about three seconds, even having a bat, if I try going up against someone like Lillee, but you can't let someone kick you like that. There is no doubt in my mind I would have followed through with the swing (not to his head or anything), or at least a punch to the face.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm I consider Miandad more of a character than an embarrassment. The one incident you can definitely say was an embarrassment was the bat-raising on Lillee. Though even there you can argue he was provoked. In any case, I can see why people would see his antics as an embarrassment. I just think there are others more worthy that's all. From a Pakistani perspective, I would say Malik, Akhtar, Aamir Sohail, Sarfaraz Nawaz, and Shahid Afridi are bigger embarrassments than Miandad.
Miandad was never an embarrassment. Atleast, Not according to the cricketers of his time, from whatever I have read and heard.

And this is vintage Miandad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBv5DNxCoBc

And here is another Javed legend :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC6NJp6rx0 ;)

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Maybe too biased against the subcontinental players, but that's where the match fixing controversy originated, so it makes sense.
If I remember correctly, cricket was plagued by matchfixing controversies in England during the 19th century, which played a big part in losing it's place as the #1 spectator sport to football. Wonder if Neville Cardus or ArchieMac could tell me a little more.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar ,atleast excusable .Miandad , a legend he is ,but come on ,he was really embarassing ,constant verbal abuse (especially behind the stumps) ,frog jumping and a lot.He will definitely be remebered for those tantrums also .

Gavaskar's behavior at MCG was embarrassing to say the least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrp53wKHgb0

Miandad's act was funny. I have never heard of Miandad verbally abusing players (unless you are talking about one Pepsi Commercial ;) ), He would chirp and sledge in his own street language, but rarely abusive.

bagapath

International Captain
boycott should make the cut above gavaskar. gavaskar's bad behavior is pretty much limited to that walk-off. lets not confuse his commenatating days with his cricketing career. boycott, on the other hand, was high maintenance, political and was reeking of insecurity in the way he handled himself.

will make a short list of nominees by tomorrow and lets narrow it down to a playing xi soon.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
boycott should make the cut above gavaskar. gavaskar's bad behavior is pretty much limited to that walk-off. lets not confuse his commenatating days with his cricketing career. boycott, on the other hand, was high maintenance, political and was reeking of insecurity in the way he handled himself.

will make a short list of nominees by tomorrow and lets narrow it down to a playing xi soon.
What about Gavaskar's 36 in 60 overs ? He may have his reasons valid or invalid, It is still embarrassing to score 36 runs in 60 overs.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar ,atleast excusable .Miandad , a legend he is ,but come on ,he was really embarassing ,constant verbal abuse (especially behind the stumps) ,frog jumping and a lot.He will definitely be remebered for those tantrums also .
but was it embarrassment to his country? I feel no

Briony

International Debutant
Greg Chappell only did something which was within flawed rules. Not immature or embarrasing; a calculated decision which the beaten kiwis had a giant whinge about.

Sunil's walk-off in contrast was ill-tempered and petulant which smacks of immaturity.

bagapath

International Captain
here are the options

openers
------------
wg grace
boycott
gavaskar
smith

middle order
------------------
andrew symonds
arjuna ranatunga
azharuddin
greg chappell
darren lehmann
salim malik
javed miandad
ajay jadeja

all rounder
-------------------------
ian botham
chris cairns
lance klusener

wicket keeper
--------------------
rashid latif
saleem yousuf

bowlers
-----------
dennis lillee
shane warne
harbhajan "obnoxious weed" singh
shoaib akhthar
waqar younis
sreesanth
phil tuffnel

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Have to gor for a two-pronged spin attack with Warnie and the Weed

Rashid Latif should come into consideration as the keeper - a proven cheat and got off a racism charge by setting the precedent for the Harby defence (stump mike didnt pick it up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mk74srFVb4
Harby didn't say "monkey" ... he said "maa ki..." which is a hindi phrase meaning "your mother's ___"

I'm not sayin this 2 support him because I don't like his on-field behavior either; I'm sayin this because being some1 who knows Hindi and who knows Harby's love for that language and who knows about Sachin's honesty I'm sooo sure of it.

Edit: By the way he probably should be in this team for other incidents.

Briony

International Debutant
Personalities are what make a sport worth following in between the milestones / victories and losses.

Without some of these guys we won't be having much fun in forums. :laugh:
Agree, without the nutcases and headline grabbers and general cynosures, the world and cricket forums would be dull.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Snow, Sarfraz, Thommo could vie for a place, tho they'd hold no candle to Roy Gilchrist who's a shoo-in partner to Shoaib.

Let's not forget the umpires. Any suggestions to partner Hair ?

funnygirl

State Regular
Snow, Sarfraz, Thommo could vie for a place, tho they'd hold no candle to Roy Gilchrist who's a shoo-in partner to Shoaib.

Let's not forget the umpires. Any suggestions to partner Hair ?
As an Indian i would say Steve Bucknor .He showed his dislike rather openely .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
here are the options

openers
------------
wg grace
boycott
gavaskar
smith

middle order
------------------
andrew symonds
arjuna ranatunga
azharuddin
greg chappell
darren lehmann
salim malik
javed miandad
ajay jadeja

all rounder
-------------------------
ian botham
chris cairns
lance klusener

wicket keeper
--------------------
rashid latif
saleem yousuf

bowlers
-----------
dennis lillee
shane warne
harbhajan "obnoxious weed" singh
shoaib akhthar
waqar younis
sreesanth
phil tuffnel
:detective: No one nominated him. Is it that obvious a selection?

Chubb

International Regular
:detective: No one nominated him. Is it that obvious a selection?
He certainly acted very immaturely towards Ed Smith at Kent, when he refused to obey instructions from his captain because of what Smith had written about him in his book On And Off The Field- Robert Key did the same. Symonds went off in a huff to join Lancashire. I've read the book and Smith basically says that Symmo is a superb player but something of a stereotypical aussie, with all the hunting and fishing and whatever- nothing much to be offended about, I'd say. Particularly as he himself says he loves hunting.