• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

G.I.Joe

International Coach
My girlfriend's church had a market day yesterday, and I found my way into the book section -- always a dangerous proposition. Came out with the following:

England versus Australia: A Pictorial History of the Test Matches Since 1877 - David Frith [forewords by McGilvray, Bradman & Hutton]
The Fast Men - David Frith [very happy with this buy]
Merv: My Life and other Funny Stories - Merv Hughes/David Emerson
The Great Australian Book of Cricket Stories - Ken Piesse (ed.) [illogical impulse buy if there ever was one. I mean, Ken Piesse...]
The Best of Chappelli - Ian Chappell/Austin Robertson/Paul Rigby

$0.30 each.
:drool:

stumpski

International Captain
Reading it now, and will review next week, if work stops getting in the way
Martin has suggested a double review as we haven't done one for a while, so if it can wait a week or two I can join you.

Those 30 cent bargains are insane. The first book alone is worth 20 bucks.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the Frith books had stickers on them for $3 and $2 respectively, which I thought was an absolute bargain. Turns out that the deal was even better.
Hilariously, the lady attempted to give me a discount as well.

One of the other guys picked up the old 1969 Readers Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual, once again for $0.30.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Has anyone come across a biography of CTB Turner? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
This thread is too long, so I cannot check all the books referred here.
Could you tell me any Cricket who is/was a communist, like CLR James who wrote Beyond a Boundary?

smash84

The Tiger King
My girlfriend's church had a market day yesterday, and I found my way into the book section -- always a dangerous proposition. Came out with the following:

England versus Australia: A Pictorial History of the Test Matches Since 1877 - David Frith [forewords by McGilvray, Bradman & Hutton]
The Fast Men - David Frith [very happy with this buy]
Merv: My Life and other Funny Stories - Merv Hughes/David Emerson
The Great Australian Book of Cricket Stories - Ken Piesse (ed.) [illogical impulse buy if there ever was one. I mean, Ken Piesse...]
The Best of Chappelli - Ian Chappell/Austin Robertson/Paul Rigby

$0.30 each.
wow.....insane bargain.....for that price i might even have bought the max walker book (or might have taken a discount for it :p)

chasingthedon

International Regular
Picked up this little haul in my local used bookstore, San Jose, California this afternoon:-

Arlott on Cricket
Australian Challenge, the 1956 Australian tour of England, by Arthur Gilligan
Cricket Cauldron, England in the Caribbean 1953-54, by Alex Bannister
Cricket Gallery, edited by David Frith
The Cricketer's Bedside Book, edited by Ron Roberts
What Sport Tells Us About Life, by Ed Smith
100 Years of Test Cricket, David Foster & Peter Arnold
The Story of Cricket, by Robin Marlar

The last two are replete with great photos, though skimming through the Marlar book I was a little disturbed to see Lance Gibbs described as the leading fast bowler of his era. Still, never ceases to amaze what you can find in the most unexpected places.

archie mac

International Coach
Picked up this little haul in my local used bookstore, San Jose, California this afternoon:-

Arlott on Cricket
Australian Challenge, the 1956 Australian tour of England, by Arthur Gilligan
Cricket Cauldron, England in the Caribbean 1953-54, by Alex Bannister
Cricket Gallery, edited by David Frith
The Cricketer's Bedside Book, edited by Ron Roberts
What Sport Tells Us About Life, by Ed Smith
100 Years of Test Cricket, David Foster & Peter Arnold
The Story of Cricket, by Robin Marlar

The last two are replete with great photos, though skimming through the Marlar book I was a little disturbed to see Lance Gibbs described as the leading fast bowler of his era. Still, never ceases to amaze what you can find in the most unexpected places.
I quite enjoyed the Ron Roberts book. He dies a young man

watson

Banned
Interested to read that you picked up '100 Years of Test Cricket' as it was a Christmas present I received from Santa in 1977 or 78. I still have the book, and still read it because of the great photos.

Does your edition have Tony Greig and Greg Chappell on the front cover?

chasingthedon

International Regular
I quite enjoyed the Ron Roberts book. He dies a young man
Yeah, me too. After all it starts with an Alan Ross piece on Cowdrey (where he manages to say in about 30 words what took me 200 or so to do the same on Fry); nice, short but interesting pieces by a wealth of talented writers.

Have to say I'm not much of an Ed Smith fan - didn't really enjoy Hard Ball; in the first chapter of this book I feel he misapplies Gould's logic on the evolution of talent, and in the second misses the mark on why Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the World Cup final. Though I've only read two chapters.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Interested to read that you picked up '100 Years of Test Cricket' as it was a Christmas present I received from Santa in 1977 or 78. I still have the book, and still read it because of the great photos.

Does your edition have Tony Greig and Greg Chappell on the front cover?
It does indeed. Nice pics e.g. of Trumper other than the famous but over-used Beldam one.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Just read "Then Came Massacre". Biog of Maurice Tate. A good read about a childhood hero who, it turns out, lived about 400 yards from where I lived during said childhood.

archie mac

International Coach
Just read "Then Came Massacre". Biog of Maurice Tate. A good read about a childhood hero who, it turns out, lived about 400 yards from where I lived during said childhood.
Yes a good read. It won the best new writer award from CW for 2013

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah, me too. After all it starts with an Alan Ross piece on Cowdrey (where he manages to say in about 30 words what took me 200 or so to do the same on Fry); nice, short but interesting pieces by a wealth of talented writers.

Have to say I'm not much of an Ed Smith fan - didn't really enjoy Hard Ball; in the first chapter of this book I feel he misapplies Gould's logic on the evolution of talent, and in the second misses the mark on why Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the World Cup final. Though I've only read two chapters.
Have not read any of Smith but Hard Ball is the suppose to be good. Let's hope it picks up

chasingthedon

International Regular
Have not read any of Smith but Hard Ball is the suppose to be good. Let's hope it picks up
Hard Ball left me feeling "meh", which I was more than disappointed at being an ex-pat in the US; I gave it a negative review on CW, but having heard so many people praise it maybe I should give it another try. Possibly my expectations were too high originally.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never managed to see quite why Ed Smith's writing is so widely acclaimed - on the other hand his old man Jonathan's book, "The Following Game", is excellent