• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

91Jmay

International Coach
this is veering back into dangerous territory for backlash.

Anyway, consider this. Kane Williamson is the brightest young talent NZ has, by a long shot. I wouldn't put Usman Khawaja below him in terms of potential.

Similarly, WI has...Bravo?

South Africa has? I don't even know, Duminy can't be considered young anymore.

England has Root.

India has Pujara and Kohli.

Of these, only Pujara and Kohli have really established themselves.

Warner, Khawaja, Hughes have just as much potential as any young batsmen around the world.
Dave Warner isn't exactly a 'young' batsmen though is he. Nearer Cook in age than Root.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Out of all the talented yungsters we have had, who has chosen cricket over footy?

that Keefe kid who captaind the U19 squad, and he hasn't come on at all.
There are a few who have but they donor earlier.

There are as many people on an AFL list as there are playing 1st grade cricket around the country on one weekend. You can't compete with that.

Funnily wright, the only way to compete would be to corporatise further and create a bigger cash pool to try and attract these talented athletes as professional sportsmen. But CA obviously have failed by not trying they. Or they have failed by trying that. Or something.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff definitely sounds as thick but is more eloquent than Rooney who sounds like he's struggling with every sentence.
Yep, not sure about the Flintoff thing at all, would put Gough ahead of him in thickness, but Rooney can hardly speak at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who gives a **** anyway? They're paid to play footy or cricket, not design a grand unified theory.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I always find it strange when a bowler gets praised as "intelligent" when they follow up an inswinger with an outswinger to take the edge, or an arm ball after a big turner to get an LBW.

Seriously?

Stapel

International Regular
Who gives a **** anyway? They're paid to play footy or cricket, not design a grand unified theory.
The point is that fewer and fewer middle class parents are considering sending their kids to football. Possibly I'm not the best judge, but I do visit the UK at least twice year and have some good friend on the island. In the Netherlands we've seen a massive middle class shift from football to hockey.

91Jmay

International Coach
The point is that fewer and fewer middle class parents are considering sending their kids to football. Possibly I'm not the best judge, but I do visit the UK at least twice year and have some good friend on the island. In the Netherlands we've seen a massive middle class shift from football to hockey.
That isn't even close to be true, more and more middle class people are getting into and enjoying football.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That may or may not be the case, I really don't know. But the point of my post was it's damn annoying when people lambast sports stars for not being the sharpest tools in the shed, when they're paid to score goals, bowl a cricket ball, hit a tennis ball etc etc. It's every bit as annoying and stupid as the cliche of the jocks at school picking on the nerds. If I'm following sport, I don't care if Wayne Rooney, Shane Warne, Taylor Walker, Sonny Bill Williams or Andrew Flintoff are as thick as two short planks. Their job is to play the sport they're paid to play. I don't expect a cricketer's tour diary to read like Ulysses (thank Christ, what a dirge that is).

Not saying you're advocating all this btw, but it's something that's really common.