• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

ajdude

International Coach
If the 3rd umpire hadn't made a shockingly poor call on the Agar stumping the game wouldn't have been close. Add the Trott error if you wish.
The furore about Broad is simply because the ball ended up at slip - via the keepers gloves. Batsmen at Test level don't walk. I tell you as a League umpire that few do there. And that is fine. Put it in the hands of the umpire but then don't complain if a mistake is made. And to liken it to falsely claiming a catch which you know to have been grassed is plain daft..
can't have it both ways tbh

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Bowled England to victory against Australia at the Oval 2009 and Adelaide 2010.
Bowled England to victory with a 10fer against South Africa in Durban 2009 and was the highest wicket taker in the series with 21.
Bowled England to victory at the Oval against India in 2011 and made them look like tools as he took 20 wickets in the series away to India last winter.

Fair to say he's played his part more than enough when its mattered.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does he have a decent point about the popularity of sports in Australia when you aren't amazingly world class at it though? Union is struggling because your team isn't amazing (they are very good don't get me wrong) and likewise Cricket.
No.

Burgey

And anyone who says Aussie cricket has never been this low before wasn't around in the 1980s. That was far worse, I can assure you. Far, far, far worse.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Ha! Yeah. I don't agree with him but he is posting nothing but his opinion. Let the boy post. I want to see how many 'final staw' one person can have.
For whats its worth i agree.

I know exactly where hes coming from and have a pretty good idea how he feels, being a Liverpool fan i can relate with a lot of what he says, it can get thoroughly depressing, we all care but we are all different, this is just one way of looking at it and tbh hes spot on with most of it.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And anyone who says Aussie cricket has never been this low before wasn't around in the 1980s. That was far worse, I can assure you. Far, far, far worse.
Oh happy days, Dyson, Wood, Hilditch, Bright, Holland, Gilbert, Rixon, Bennett. Great times, still at least you had a bloke called Wiener to cause amusement.

Burgey

No discussion of Australian cricket in the 80s is complete without a mention of Simon Davis and Tony Dodemaide.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For bowling, yes, absolutely.

Not so sure about batting though. I know some of this is hindsight, but you had some pretty good batsmen coming through from around 1985 onwards, even if they took a while to mature. Not sure who your next generation of batsmen are now.

Burgey

Blokes like Hughes, Warner, Khawaja and Smith probably fall into that category. It's definitely a wait and see thing with those blokes, for sure.

Have tipped Maddinson to make 5,000 plus test runs at 40+ some time back, which means he'll no doubt be out of the NSW side within 18 months. :-/

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Blokes like Hughes, Warner, Khawaja and Smith probably fall into that category. It's definitely a wait and see thing with those blokes, for sure.

Have tipped Maddinson to make 5,000 plus test runs at 40+ some time back, which means he'll no doubt be out of the NSW side within 18 months. :-/
So basically there's barely anything coming through then? It's not wait and see with these blokes, I can tell you now none of them will make it as top test batsmen. I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong on any of them. Also Maddinson? Good luck with that. If this is the best coming through then wow, just wow.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think it's pretty clear now the older brother won't make it and the younger ones batting has gone down hill while in the Sheffield Shield.

Joe Burns? He's okay. But he's hardy going to be the knight in shining armour for that batting order.

You pretty much have to put a line through the last 10 years of batsmen. It's a lost generation.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
khawaja, hughes, warner have plenty of potential
I agree, but because they are never likely to be Ponting, Clarke or Hayden quality backlash wants to give up on them.

Apparently CA is supposed to be a production line churning out world class players constantly.

Burgey

No it isn't. All you can do is set up structures which ID and then nurture the talent you have to the best of their ability. That's all you can do.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
khawaja, hughes, warner have plenty of potential
Plenty is a strong word here. They've got potential to be average/decent test batsmen sure.

No it isn't. All you can do is set up structures which ID and then nurture the talent you have to the best of their ability. That's all you can do.
Then unless Cricket is missing out on more of the talent pool then we previously thought then something has gone seriously wrong with the production line if the standard of batsmen going around are anything to go by or I'm I not allowed to question this?

I'm sorry if I find the level of batsmen and the national team and domestic cricket not to be up to scratch. As someone who was a long time customer and gave CA a lot of money I apologize for not accepting a mediocre product from them.

Burgey

If the players aren't as inherently good, how is that the fault of the governing body? I don't see how this is a difficult concept to grasp, frankly.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
this is veering back into dangerous territory for backlash.

Anyway, consider this. Kane Williamson is the brightest young talent NZ has, by a long shot. I wouldn't put Usman Khawaja below him in terms of potential.

Similarly, WI has...Bravo?

South Africa has? I don't even know, Duminy can't be considered young anymore.

England has Root.

India has Pujara and Kohli.

Of these, only Pujara and Kohli have really established themselves.

Warner, Khawaja, Hughes have just as much potential as any young batsmen around the world.