• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If the players aren't as inherently good, how is that the fault of the governing body? I don't see how this is a difficult concept to grasp, frankly.
but don't you see, it's CA's fault for not attracting the inherently talented players who are now playing golf, go karting, and paintball!

Carn_the_pies

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If the players aren't as inherently good, how is that the fault of the governing body? I don't see how this is a difficult concept to grasp, frankly.
It is CA's fault partly because they have allowed AFL, NRL to take over..if you were young kind looking to make a buck professional what sport would you play right now?

Spark

Global Moderator
What exactly can they do against AFL, though? They don't have the money or the space to evenly match what the AFL can offer a young rising star.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's been the way since they all became professional. There's 15-20 well paid pro cricketing spots available in Australia, and hundreds of well paid footy spots across the codes.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn. All those ruckmen that could have been opening the bowling for Australia if they hadn't been snatched away by AFL. You could be opening the bowling with a Steve Finn from each end!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think cricket has a far better chance competing against AFL in this country than it does competing against football in England.

And honestly, I'm sure there are kids that are that naturally talented that may be privileged to choose between a career in either but that would have to be a rarity. I'm sure in most cases it would end up being like Shane Warne who loved AFL and Cricket but was supremely talented in one and just handy in the other.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
nah it's not about the players that make it to the top, it's about the increase in competition that's better at developing those really good players. Better first class and club players.

But honestly it's just ****ing tiring. You make do with what you have. There's competition between sports, just ****ing deal with it.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
this is veering back into dangerous territory for backlash.
Yeah it is......and I guess all of us for getting dragged into it.

Backlash.........why don't you start a thread in Cricket Chat about the management of Australian Cricket. I don't agree with much you've said but you certainly have raised some interesting points. I think the mods objections to your postings is not what you are saying but where you are saying it........this thread is for discussing the test at Trent Bridge for eg. If you started a dedicated thread for you concerns I'm sure you'd get some interesting and insightful responses and you wouldn't be pissing anybody off.

Carn_the_pies

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Out of all the talented yungsters we have had, who has chosen cricket over footy?

that Keefe kid who captaind the U19 squad, and he hasn't come on at all.

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah it is......and I guess all of us for getting dragged into it.

Backlash.........why don't you start a thread in Cricket Chat about the management of Australian Cricket. I don't agree with much you've said but you certainly have raised some interesting points. I think the mods objections to your postings is not what you are saying but where you are saying it........this thread is for discussing the test at Trent Bridge for eg. If you started a dedicated thread for you concerns I'm sure you'd get some interesting and insightful responses and you wouldn't be pissing anybody off.
Done.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...elopment-expectations-future.html#post3099331

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think cricket has a far better chance competing against AFL in this country than it does competing against football in England.

And honestly, I'm sure there are kids that are that naturally talented that may be privileged to choose between a career in either but that would have to be a rarity. I'm sure in most cases it would end up being like Shane Warne who loved AFL and Cricket but was supremely talented in one and just handy in the other.
Cricket isn't really competing against football here because football scares off the middle classes. I don't think I've heard a cricketer who sounds as thick as Rooney.