Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Pietersen's LBW call was obviously out, but watching it at full speed, you can see absolutely why he wasn't given out. It was nearly impossible to tell whether he jammed it into his foot or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well that's 2 bad decisions in favour of England batsmen, the former which made no difference whatsoever, the latter which made virtually no difference whatsoever.

So certainly not a good start to the series for the Umpires but so far it's not mattered.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Pietersen's LBW call was obviously out, but watching it at full speed, you can see absolutely why he wasn't given out. It was nearly impossible to tell whether he jammed it into his foot or not.
    In which case, as has been said, it should have been given out c Haddin. He could even have asked for the third-Umpire's adjudication on that!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Hmm. I distinctly remember being absolutely astonished not to see the finger go up. Agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

My immediate reaction upon seeing it for the first time was "bloody hell, that's dead" but I've seen these sorts of things divide opinion before now.

Either way, it quite clearly should have been given out, whether it was an unforgiveable error or a forgiveable one.

And I so wish it had been given, as then KP wouldn't have been out to Hauritz.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    My immediate thought was that he had jammed the ball into his foot, but if it hadn't hit his bat, it would have been dead.

KP's looked out but not for a minute would I consider Strauss's as an umpiring error.

For mine an umpiring error is when the batsman hits the ball and is given lbw, not when the ball is clipping leg stump (see Johnson to Strauss).

It was cannoning full-ball into leg-stump tbf. And with balls that length it's generally pretty obvious where they're going.

Definite mistake for me, but not the horrendous howler the KP one was.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It was cannoning full-ball into leg-stump tbf. And with balls that length it's generally pretty obvious where they're going.

Definite mistake for me, but not the horrendous howler the KP one was.
    Hang on a sec, are we saying umpiring errors because hawkeye would have given it out or umpiring errors that a trained umpire shouldn't have made in real time?

If it's the latter that was not a mistake, I don't know how many of you have umpired before.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Hang on a sec, are we saying umpiring errors because hawkeye would have given it out or umpiring errors that a trained umpire shouldn't have made in real time?

If it's the latter that was not a mistake, I don't know how many of you have umpired before.
    Well i guess its meant to be things that could be corrected if the referral system was in place...in which case its both of them.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Missed the pIetersen one but I thought Billy esp. had a very good day. The Strauss one was wrong but not a howler and he made some very food not out calls after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

It wasn't just HawkEye that thought the Strauss one was out - all the commentators said it looked out immediately, before they even saw the HawkEye of it.

Yeah, if you're trying to say that we shouldn't be too critical, I completely agree. It was a difficult decision. But it was a black-and-white one, and the correct decision was to give it out. Therefore, it was a mistake.

Some mistakes are excuseable. Some are inexcuseable.

To give Strauss n\o was an excuseable mistake, but still a mistake.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    KP's looked out but not for a minute would I consider Strauss's as an umpiring error.

For mine an umpiring error is when the batsman hits the ball and is given lbw, not when the ball is clipping leg stump (see Johnson to Strauss).
    Strauss was hit on the full, plumb on leg stump.

The ball would have had to have been doing an awful lot to miss the stumps from there, which it wasn't.

As for the KP one, after replays I rewound Sky+ and re-watched it "live" 2 or 3 times, and IMO there was enough doubt as to what hit what in what order for the umpire's not out call to be justified. In addition, there's a clunking noise which sounded very much like bat on ball - if the umpires are wired to the stump-mic, which I believe is the case, it would have been very hard to give that out with 100% certainty.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information