• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion around Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

14 June 2014
Uruguay v Costa Rica
Estádio Castelão, Fortaleza

14 June 2014
England v Italy
Arena Amazônia, Manaus

19 June 2014
Uruguay v England
Arena de São Paulo, São Paulo

20 June 2014
Italy v Costa Rica
Arena Pernambuco, Recife

24 June 2014
Italy v Uruguay
Arena das Dunas, Natal

24 June 2014
Costa Rica v England
Estádio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My kids already asking if they can stay up for the opening England game. Yeah as if they will be up at 2am.

Nightmare group, can't see us qualifying.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, excellent. Nothing better than kicking off in tropical conditions at an earlier time.

I know telly rules and all, but **** me...

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Why does Mario Balotelli appear to be the face of Italy in the same way Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo are for their countries? Have I missed something or is it because of that one game against Germany at the Euros? Would've thought Pirlo or Buffon would be more deserving.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Good. Wouldn't have surprised me if Woy ended up playing him in place of Sterling. Now we should end up with a front four of Sterling, Lallana, Rooney and Sturridge. Personally, I'd go for Barkley ahead of Rooney on current form, but that isn't going to happen. Barkley as super-sub.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to say I don't get the Barkley over-reaction based on those friendlies - gave the ball away so often, and in the conditions we're going to encounter that's criminal.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm an Everton fan though, so I'm hugely biased, and have been keen on Barkley getting a go for months. He just has that special something about him that could win us games. Am content with him being an impact sub for now though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, personally I'd leave Stirling as impact sub for Saturday's game as a minimum - last half hour against tiring legs he could be a huge asset, but then again only if they're still in the game at that point.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wouldn't have Wilshere in either. The Ox being injured is a big blow. I'd probably go with Lallana and Welbeck on the flanks but if Welbeck's ruled out then I'd probably go for Milner to leave the pacier men in reserve.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nah Sterling has to start IMO, is a gun. Would have said this had Ox and Welbeck not been injured as well. Fully agree regarding Barkley though, another of those promising young English players that there seem to be a lot of at the moment who I agree are promising but seem to be becoming overrated in terms of their current ability just based on that promise. As much as I have doubts over how well Rooney will play, there is still no way I'd start Barkley ahead of him.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am a huge fan of Barkley, just can't be cynical about him at all. But yeah he should not start. Prefect player to come on with 20 minutes to go.