• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It makes sense because every single one of your posts in this sub-forum have been ****ing annoying, and sooner or later someone was going to give you a well-deserved spray.
Hardly. Just because precious football fans can't take criticism from someone who doesn't know as much about the game as them. Pretty pathetic the attitude towards people from non-footballing countries who come up and actually make sensible suggestions and then get shot down with some crap insult about not understanding the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It makes sense because every single one of your posts in this sub-forum have been ****ing annoying, and sooner or later someone was going to give you a well-deserved spray.
Didn't actually mind what he said. If you notice, I didn't get angry at him, nor did I warn him. I was just pointing out the simple fact that plenty of people involved with the sport are and have criticized the final, so my point was not exactly unfair. He can take that however he wishes, and I don't generally get mad at internet rants, so he is welcome to express his opinion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hardly. Just because precious football fans can't take criticism from someone who doesn't know as much about the game as them. Pretty pathetic the attitude towards people from non-footballing countries who come up and actually make sensible suggestions and then get shot down with some crap insult about not understanding the game.
TBF SS and/or social just said something like "Can't understand why the game's so popular"; not what I'd call constructive criticism.

Besides the point that I kinda agree tho. :ph34r: I'm not so much a fan as an addict.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
TBF SS and/or social just said something like "Can't understand why the game's so popular"; not what I'd call constructive criticism.

Besides the point that I kinda agree tho. :ph34r: I'm not so much a fan as an addict.
Yeah I mean that comment probably wasn't the best, I was more referring to the general attitude of people towards posters like SS and Social.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

It wasn't meant to be constructive - just that I found the game really really bad to watch. If that opinion is out of the ordinary, so be it - but I don't think it is.

Yesterdays game, pointless as it was, was exciting and fun.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I can't really understand the argument that Webb didn't want to ruin the game. If he sends off a player for a red cardable offence, then hasn't that player "ruined" the game? Just officiate to the law and not what image you want for yourself, ffs.

He was inconsistent as ****, and by not wanting to ruin the game did exactly that.

- de Jong's studs to the chest should have been a straight red.
- Puyol should have got a yellow (2nd? his 1st was probably nothing) for cuddling up to Robben. If Robben had taken a dive I'm sure it would have been given. Sorta shows why there is diving, if refs are so blind that they don't give fouls that are actually there.
- The dutch guy who got sent off, he didn't even deserve the first, let alone second.

The ref had too much say in the match.
That being said, both sides were a bit gun-shy in front of goal, sloppy in midfield, and did nothing spectacular in defence except for a couple of nice saves by each keeper.

Give the title to NZ, ffs!

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It wasn't meant to be constructive - just that I found the game really really bad to watch. If that opinion is out of the ordinary, so be it - but I don't think it is.

Well, given that then, it makes your comment about not seeing why the sport's so popular baffling. :unsure:

Surely you can see then that it's precisely because some games are exciting and fun that it's quite well regarded in the non-American world?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well of course, I know it can be exciting, and people tell me EPL is. But as a showcase tournament, I was underwhelmed tbh. By the group stages and by the final. Some of the knockout stuff was really good though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why didn't Iniesta stay on his feet, he could of got that. I really ****ing hatethat, he had a chance to get the winning goal in a World Cup final, but he goes down easily for the free--kick, ffs.
Fairly reminiscent of the Puyol foul on Robben where irony dictated that the one time he didn't go to ground it arguably cost his team big time.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

So you effectively answered your own question re why this is the world's game.

Also, to really appreciate the sport you should play it, follow it, learn the tactical side to the game and you'll really love it IMO. I love cricket, and many people I know simply don't understand it but I know if they put the effort into learning about it and actually watching a whole match they'd get it. It's a similar thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So you effectively answered your own question re why this is the world's game.

Also, to really appreciate the sport you should play it, follow it, learn the tactical side to the game and you'll really love it IMO. I love cricket, and many people I know simply don't understand it but I know if they put the effort into learning about it and actually watching a whole match they'd get it. It's a similar thing.
Yea I'm not disagreeing with you that it can be fun. But it's like me expecting someone to get involved in Test cricket after another borefest 4 day Sehwag triple, rather than Ashes 2005. It depends on the prevalence of each type of match. IMO anyway.

If someone said this game sucks after watching that 5 day crapathon, I can't really blame them all that much.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't really understand the argument that Webb didn't want to ruin the game. If he sends off a player for a red cardable offence, then hasn't that player "ruined" the game? Just officiate to the law and not what image you want for yourself, ffs.

He was inconsistent as ****, and by not wanting to ruin the game did exactly that.

- de Jong's studs to the chest should have been a straight red.
- Puyol should have got a yellow (2nd? his 1st was probably nothing) for cuddling up to Robben. If Robben had taken a dive I'm sure it would have been given. Sorta shows why there is diving, if refs are so blind that they don't give fouls that are actually there.
- The dutch guy who got sent off, he didn't even deserve the first, let alone second.

The ref had too much say in the match.
That being said, both sides were a bit gun-shy in front of goal, sloppy in midfield, and did nothing spectacular in defence except for a couple of nice saves by each keeper.

Give the title to NZ, ffs!
plus the blatant offside just before the goal.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I can't really understand the argument that Webb didn't want to ruin the game. If he sends off a player for a red cardable offence, then hasn't that player "ruined" the game?
It's not an argument, it's just what he did. If you send off a player (or two) early in the game you risk ruining football's greatest showpiece. He therefore gave the players the benefit of what he saw as doubt.

If Holland didn't trust themselves to win with their normal game the Swiss had already shown how to stifle Spain by denying them space and breaking up the game. Portugal and Paraguay had come close using the same tactics. The fact that the Dutch chose to take the physical approach is not Webb's fault. He had a poor game, but if the Dutch hide behind that they're kidding themselves.