• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

Steulen

International Regular
Ice Hockey is the one North American sport that's actually alright....probably because it's not American.
Just too bad you can't ever see the object of play and the score only ticks over because a traffic light comes on at random intervals. Pfaaah.

shivfan

Banned
I'm not a great footy fan, but I can see why it's a more popular sport worldwide than cricket, or the American sports of NFL, basketball, baseball, ice hockey, etc.

However, this final would've done very little to win over new recruits. It's a pity Holland reached this final, because their play typified the very worst of European football. It's unfortunate that the Brazilians committed harikiri against the Dutch, because a Spain-Brazil final would've been so much better.

Still, that's not Holland's fault. They beat everybody to reach the final. But for me, cricket and athletics have always been more exciting, and this final has just reinforced my prejudices in that direction....
:cool:

Steulen

International Regular
yes 4 years ago at chelsea he was....he hasn't done that since Real Madrid....you should watch some football somtimes before saying such a dumb thing.

oh and blatant miss of offside just before the goal, plus a rubbish goal kick...

**** you Howard Webb
Robben goes down easily but I haven't seen him dive.

According to the BBC re-run Iniesta wasn't off-side when the ball was fed to him for the first time and ricocheted back to Fabregas off the Dutch defender. A clean goal, I'm afraid. Stekelenburg did get a hand to it...so near etc.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not a great footy fan, but I can see why it's a more popular sport worldwide than cricket, or the American sports of NFL, basketball, baseball, ice hockey, etc.

However, this final would've done very little to win over new recruits. It's a pity Holland reached this final, because their play typified the very worst of European football. It's unfortunate that the Brazilians committed harikiri against the Dutch, because a Spain-Brazil final would've been so much better.

Still, that's not Holland's fault. They beat everybody to reach the final. But for me, cricket and athletics have always been more exciting, and this final has just reinforced my prejudices in that direction....
:cool:
Really? have you watched every WC game?

I nearly have and I can tell you...France and Italy for a start were WAY worse...

actually the only on football alone deserves final would've been Germany - Spain...(edit: actually Brazil played much better football then Spain did this tournament.)
unfortunately good football doesn't win you games.

After 30 years of playing 'total football'' and playing the best football on tournaments it's about time we focus on result and not how good it looks.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Robben goes down easily but I haven't seen him dive.

According to the BBC re-run Iniesta wasn't off-side when the ball was fed to him for the first time and ricocheted back to Fabregas off the Dutch defender. A clean goal, I'm afraid. Stekelenburg did get a hand to it...so near etc.
the ball just before that was offside.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bunch of diving Spanish wimps. Get up instead of falling on the floor. The eventual sending off was pretty much the softest thing, when I'm running and feel a gentle touch on my shoulder I don't fall forwards flailing my arms.

That's a far worse aspect of the game than hard tackling. Harden the **** up.
You can say that as you're English. If someone ftom here, NZ or anywhere else outside Europe says it, we don't understand or appreciate the game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Seriously, **** off!

This is supposed to be the "world game" and all we got tonight was a disgrace

I sat with Dutch, Spanish, Argentinian, Iraqi, Iranians, Poms and Croats and everyone said the same so I could give a flying toss what an insular tool like yourself says

BTW, have another drink
They probably all thought you were as much of a halfwit **** as we do tbh.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You can say that as you're English. If someone ftom here, NZ or anywhere else outside Europe says it, we don't understand or appreciate the game.
Those people are ****ing muppets TBH. I know tonnes of people from outside Europe that know a **** load more about football than I do.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, a lot of the people I know didn't rate this installment much at all. I am in the same camp. It was more me going for the team I wanted to lose the least. The better games were against the smaller sides. The ball was ****house. The vuvazelas made watching the game unbearable.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it's probably my playing of Aussie Rules that has lessened my symapthy for all the guys rolling on the floor. Been regularly hit by flying elbows jumping for the ball and not been hitting the deck clutching my face, if you dive, then you look like a stupid **** and so on.

You can take quite a hard hit without clutching your leg as if it's hanging by a thread everytime, although if you're on £100,000 a week+, seems you become a massive wuss.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Non-football fans should stop trolling football, atleast atm IMO. Taking cheap shots at one of the great sport's worst moments is stupid.

Steulen

International Regular
I'm really touched by all of you paying tribute to the Dutch way of playing tonight by being pointlessly aggressive towards each other. Extra kudos for my hometown hero GF for moderating in true Howard Webb style.