Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Duminy doesn't bowl darts, and twenty overs of spin split evenly between a batsman and an inconsistent leggie, with no backup bowler, is a really dangerous call in Aus/NZ.
    Agree, Duminy's more than useful with the ball, quite underrated actually.

International Regular ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Duminy doesn't bowl darts, and twenty overs of spin split evenly between a batsman and an inconsistent leggie, with no backup bowler, is a really dangerous call in Aus/NZ.
    Sure he's not afraid to flight the ball, so darts is an exaggeration, but he certainly isn't afraid to bowl fast and flat. I guess they just have to rely on the three quicks to take wickets up front. If they can create some pressure then De Villiers can bring himself on, and 20 overs of spin won't be a problem. If the batting team gets of to a flying start, well every team is going to struggle then.

I'll put it this way -- I'd much rather have Anderson and a nerfed Williamson as my fifth and sixth bowlers in Oceania than Duminy and de Villiers. Duminy and Anderson are similar quality bowlers IMO but unless South Africa play four a fourth quick instead of Tahir, I don't thnk their balance will be right for the conditions given they'll essentially no backup options.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All systems of government are therefore totalitarian dictatorships in disguise

Yeah i agree with that, i just think its a much of a muchness.

Cricket: Filling vacant spot order of day - Cricket - NZ Herald News

Call it the drive for five or the fix for six.

The demise of Jesse Ryder's World Cup chances and likelihood Brendon McCullum will open for New Zealand at one-day international cricket's showpiece means, with 83 days until the tournament starts, there's a situation vacant at No 5, or possibly No 6, in the order.

Originally finding a second opener to join Martin Guptill was the problem but, with all indications McCullum is keen to jump back up the order, the 'situation vacant' is now further down.

With Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor ensconced at Nos 3 and 4, Corey Anderson at either five or six in the order and an XI completed by Luke Ronchi, Daniel Vettori or Nathan McCullum and three pace bowlers, that leaves one hole.

Tom Latham and Jimmy Neesham and to a lesser degree BJ Watling look the obvious contenders with Dean Brownlie, Colin de Grandhomme and Colin Munro worth watching on the current New Zealand A tour.

Latham featured in the middle order against South Africa last month when he contributed 29 off 38 and 16 off 28, so has the inside running. He has also impressed with his test performances, and last week scored a second test century in just 12 innings with a classy 137 against Pakistan in Dubai.

Circumstances have changed a little since the South Africa series, when Neesham was used as an opening experiment in that series, which now appears less relevant if McCullum shifts.

Neesham's bowling capability could give him an advantage and he has the strongest batting strike rate of the leading contenders with 92 - Latham's is 73 and Watling 69.

Watling has, however, worked hard on that aspect of the abridged formats. He averaged 38.60 as skipper on the New Zealand A tour of England, with a strike rate of 137, when he was picked specifically to close out an innings from the middle order. He also conceded no byes and took 19 catches with the gloves, meaning he continues to challenge Ronchi.

Complicating matters is that someone will need to fill an opening gap against Pakistan. McCullum is expected to head home after the tests as part of a rotation phase with the likes of Tim Southee and Trent Boult. If that occurs, Williamson will lead the side with Taylor also staying for more white-ball cricket.

Brownlie might be a suitable opening stop-gap, given his stated intention to perform that role more in shorter forms. Anton Devcich could also lay a claim.

Form will play a big part but irrespective, there will be three or four tough calls when the eventual squad is named on January 8.

Possible World Cup squad: Brendon McCullum (c), Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Corey Anderson, BJ Watling, Luke Ronchi, Daniel Vettori, Nathan McCullum, Tim Southee, Kyle Mills, Mitchell McClenaghan, Trent Boult.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NEW ZEALAND RAIN RADAR . AUSTRALIAN RAIN RADAR . U.K. RAIN RADAR

I like McCullum moving back up but Latham must be the reserve opener, IMO. He shouldn't be a middle order player in any format. He has the technique for the top order.

Get Watling in there.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Guptill
    Williamson
    McCullum
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Neesham
    Ronchi
    McCullum
    Southee
    Henry
    Boult

Vettori
    Latham
    McClenaghan
    Mills - Although if Williamson can bowl then Munro becomes an option

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    His name is Watling.

With the above article in mind...

Baz (c), Guppy, AFCBDK, Ross, WPWB, Corey J, Wonky (wk), Dan the Man, MILLS, 5outhee, Mitch M - Henry, Hendo's Hero, Shark Eyes, Boult/Bennett/Milne

Ideally Latham and Guptill would open the batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

United Arab Emirates v New Zealand A at Dubai (CA), Nov 23, 2014 | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Not bothering with live scoring ftr.

https://twitter.com/lizwilsonnz

109-0 off 17 Guptill 60 Devcich 40

Doh spoke too soon. Devcich out. NZA lose their first wicket #NZAVUAE. Brownlie in.

Munro in for Brownlie. NZA 129-2, 22.4 overs gone.
    Uh oh, UAE could be ripe to be Colinised here. Like in that other meaningful NZA fixture we paid for, against Northants 2nds.

Munro out without scoring. Ronchi in. Guptill 75. NZA 137-3 26 overs gone. And while typing Guptill bowled.
    UAE spinners fighting back, trying to make me taste.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    The Ryder issue is annoying. Without him our finishers start at four. Need the top three to bat deep every game.

As if Ryder isn't a finisher himself...

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    The Ryder issue is annoying. Without him our finishers start at four. Need the top three to bat deep every game.
    Looking for a non-finisher batsman who can sneak in 3-4 overs if Corey or the spinner is having a bad day ...

... Grant Elliott?

NZL A 58/3 (15.4 ov, AP Devcich 37*, C de Grandhomme 2*, Mirwais Ashraf 1/3) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That Afghan cricket supporter will be asking me for footage again. Devcich becoming a heady and measured anchor by NZ standards.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information