• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Munro out without scoring. Ronchi in. Guptill 75. NZA 137-3 26 overs gone. And while typing Guptill bowled.
UAE spinners fighting back, trying to make me taste.

Flem274*

123/5
The Ryder issue is annoying. Without him our finishers start at four. Need the top three to bat deep every game.

vandem

International 12th Man
The Ryder issue is annoying. Without him our finishers start at four. Need the top three to bat deep every game.
Looking for a non-finisher batsman who can sneak in 3-4 overs if Corey or the spinner is having a bad day ...

... Grant Elliott?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
McClenaghan at it again, with the staggering levels of self-esteem. A Tony Robbins of the engine room.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay chaps, while we're still 100 days out let's see your selections assuming you were forced to select a 15 man squad (and starting XI) today.

The major consideration for me was not just to select a NZ side/squad that would be solid, conservative & consistent, but one that was a little more high-risk with players that give us the best possible chance to win big games, particularly at the back-end of the tournament.

My starting XI
(assuming a typical NZ ODI pitch playing 1 spinner)

Jesse Ryder - Prospects aren't looking great now obviously, but he's so critical to the cause for mine. We need a Maverick like him at the top of the innings to have any chance of lifting the cup, not to mention the value his medium-pace bowling would provide. Also a very agile in the field. Can understand people saying, '*** him' now, but I'm still holding out hope he'll be there.

Kane Williamson - He's good enough to open & doing so allows NZ to play their best 6-7 batsmen. Additionally, I just love the prospect of Kane and Jesse opening & not just for the left/right combination, but I can see their contrasting styles making it difficult for opening attack to know where to bowl. Superb fieldsman.

Ross Taylor
- The way Taylor's played his 50 over cricket in the last 12 months or so suggest he's well suited to 3 & once again his promotion allows another middle order batting option in the top 7.

Corey Anderson
- Anderson and McCullum can interchange between nos 4-5 depending on the left/right combination. He's in the side primarily as a batsman. If he can bowl some good overs, that's a bonus, but isn't good enough as an ODI bowler to be relied on to do so.

Brendon McCullum * - There's an argument for him to open again, but can't see he or Hesson doing it & also he can utilize the PP batting at 5, so relatively happy with this.

Colin Munro - I'm sure this will be a surprise selection for some and I concede it's a risky one, but once again I'm selecting a side to give us the best chance of actually lifting the cup. Munro averages 28 with a SR of near on 100 and is palpably the best at the reverse-shots in the country. His selection also means continued alternation of left and right-handers. Fine fielder & not the worst for 1-2 overs if the pitch spins more than expected.

Luke Ronchi +
- So encouraged by his performances against SA recently, provide great value at 7.

Nathan McCullum
- Although Vettori may still shade him ever-so-slightly with the ball, I'd still give NcCullum the nod if playing the one spinner since he's so much better in the field than Vettori. His fielding probably saves NZ 5 runs or so per innings whereas Vettori's probably costs the same. Solid no 8, although frustrating with the bat at times.

Tim Southee
- To open up in the first game, but has both Henry and Boult nipping at his heels.

Adam Milne - Keeping with my philosophy of selecting a side to go all the way and win this thing, Milne is an absolute must for me. I would give him an early chance to open in the first game. It's not just that he's 150K + either, the guy really seems to have matured from a couple of years ago. Another good athlete in the field.

Mitchell Mcclenaghan - Our no 1 ODI bowler atm & so much to love about his attitude. The only trade-off is his sluggishness around the park.

12th man- Guptill for his fielding.

Remaining 4 players to make up the squad of 15.

Matt Henry - Possibly unfair to select Milne ahead of Henry given his consistency in the last 12 months, but a solid replacement if other fast bowlers aren't performing.

Daniel Vettori - He's a must in the squad. Can keep the pressure on NcCullum if he's not performing and is a must if we play two spinners. Unfortunately a genuine liability getting around the field these days.

Trent Boult - Unproven at ODI level, but I'd really like him in the squad as an option if there is likely to be plenty of swing about.

Martin Guptill - Gets in by the skin of his teeth, mainly due to his experience & fielding (not sure of the sub/12th man fielding rule these days). If my Ryder stand-by, Latham is required I'd probably start Latham ahead of Guptill to keep the beautiful left/right combinations going.

Note: B McCullum is the back-up keeper if Ronchi is injured, so no need for Watling.

Now for Jesse Ryder's almost inevitable replacement;

Tom Latham - Obviously a contingency is needed for Jesse.

Unlucky to miss out ...

Jimmy Neesham - There's probably both a decent argument for Neesham to be either the stand-by replacement for Ryder or making it as a backup batsman in the squad ahead of a bowler like Boult, especially given his all-round qualities. However, as much as I like Jimmy, his ODI bowling is too much of a liability at this stage of his career and Latham would be more likely to succeed against the new ball as Jesse back-up.

Obviously there's a fair bit of cricket to be played in the next 100 days, so plenty of things may happen, but what would your team/squad be today?
70 days out & at this stage I'm still sticking with the same squad I selected some 20 days ago with the only change being Ryder is now almost certainly going to miss out, Latham replaces him as a straight swap & Guptill comes back into my starting XI, seeing Williamson drop back to 3.

My starting XI. (assuming a typical NZ pitch favoring pace bowling).

1. Latham
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Anderson
6. McCullum
7. Ronchi
8. NcCullum/Vettori (depending on form leading in).
9. Southee
10. Milne
11. McClenaghan

My main reservation with that side is still Anderson's bowling & the fact we can't afford playing both Anderson and Neesham with the ball means the latter misses out marginally on the squad.

12. Henry
13. Boult
14. Vettori/NcCullum
15. Munro

Last edited:

Zinzan

I wonder what became of Munro keeping...must have been an inaccurate rumour.
Not sure about his keeping, but I'm a huge fan of the point of difference he provides with the bat. We have so many keeping options as it is with Bmac & latham.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Guptill
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. McCullum
6. Anderson
7. Ronchi + (ugh, Watling pls)
8. Vettori
9. Southee
10. Mills
11. Henry

12. McCleneghan
13. Milne
14. NcCullum
15. Elliott/Munro (cake vs. icing)

anil1405

International Captain
Shouldn't Milne be an automatic choice considering he would trouble batsmen with his pace in helpful conditions? Or is he still an unfinished product and a risky choice to start every game?

Zinzan

nah I'll take Boult over Henry there.

Watling over Elliot/Munro.
lol Hendrix, once again, I just don't understand your Watling selection. Seems a wasted selection in the squad of 15 considering you have Bmac & Latham to cover the keeping duties even if Ronchi gets injured.