Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QF Captains

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

QF Captains

So far all the captains from the Quarter Finalist teams that have been eliminated are about to hand over their jobs to someone else.

Smith has already made plans to hand over the reins to someone else
    Ponting and Strauss are deliberating on their ODI future
    And Sammy will most likely get the axe for being a coin tosser

Does anyone think it's possible that more resignations will follow as we get nearer to the final (Vettori, Dhoni, Afridi or maybe even Sanga).

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Vettori. He's only been stating it for about 12 months now.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Vettori would probably retire. Afridi has a tendency of throwing in the towel if things dont go well so maybe him too. Sanga will probably continue, as will Dhoni.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Vettori will definitely retire.

Afridi's such a random individual, it's not beyond comprehension that he will win the World Cup and retire immediately after siting a desire to only play T20 cricket, or become an actor, or become President of Pakistan or something.

WAG
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Afridi's such a random individual, it's not beyond comprehension that he will win the World Cup and retire immediately after siting a desire to only play T20 cricket, or become an actor, or become President of Pakistan or something.

WAG
    or a circus artiste

I'm stuck on Strauss. On the one hand, I think he should stay on, but not as captain. His awful last few innings doesn't stop the fact that he's been one of our best ODI batsmen over the last couple of years and has made more runs in that time than any other captain or opener in the world besides Watson.

He isn't a great captain, I have defended him in the past (he's much better in Tests, as ever) but it's becoming increasingly clear that once Flower's initial plans fail, he can't react quickly enough and I don't think he has never made an impressive on-field call.

On the other hand, his batting has improved hugely as captain and I don't think he'd be anywhere near as good under someone else in the team, and there's a chance he could revert to the terrible ODI player that got dropped in 2007. Then there's the fact that we don't have another aspiring captain in the team.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I was trying to workout who should take over as I think regardless of his recent ability it better suits the Test team for Strauss to retire from ODIs.

Vaughan wants Stuart Broad to take over but I can't see that happening - personally I think it may be Bell given the job (unless they just swap Cook into the side for Strauss, something I would most definitely not advocate)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

WAG
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

The best captain will lift the trophy OR the captain who lifts the trophy will become a great captain. The history tells us that ordinary captains come nowhere near touching this trophy.

Therefore I have my bets on Dhoni He has it in him to be alongside the Loyds, Kapils, Borders and Imrans as leaders to lift the cup. Afridi on the other hand will be such a misfit in that list of champion leaders

*cough* Ponting "cough*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    The best captain will lift the trophy OR the captain who lifts the trophy will become a great captain. The history tells us that ordinary captains come nowhere near touching this trophy.

Therefore I have my bets on Dhoni He has it in him to be alongside the Loyds, Kapils, Borders and Imrans as leaders to lift the cup. Afridi on the other hand will be such a misfit in that list of champion leaders
    who knows.....Afridi might become a fantastic captain in the future.....he is doing a decent job right now.......Imran himself thinks so, and otherwise he doesn't rate Afridi at all

YouTube - Imran Khan on CNN IBN About Pakistan & India Match.

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    *cough* Ponting "cough*
    haha......yeah Ponting should be there too.....

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    I remember Afridi saying that he will retire in 2011.If Pakistan win the world cup (which they will obviously),then i'm pretty sure Afridi will step down from the captaincy even if he doesn't retire.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    But Afridi is only 16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information