• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your opinion on 3rd test wicket?

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Pitch 5/10.

If this wasn't a day night game, both team would have scored 250-300 in the first innings. The skiddy pink ball made things more difficult than then pitch IMO.

srbhkshk

International Captain
The pitch was poor, can't excuse the highest score being less than 150.

That said, all these flat pitches from early 00s to mid 10s produced a generation of batsman incapable of dealing well with with the sudden change towards livelier pitches in the late 10s and the frequent random collapses from practically all nations are there to see. I don't expect 00 or 90s India batsman to go down the way we did in the first innings, someone like Rahane being a permanent fixture in the team shows how much India's spin handling mettle has fallen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So according to you SS any pitch where a less skilled player outperforms a more skilled one is bad?

Wonder what you make of the Lord's pitch where Agarkar scored a ton then? Or more recently at the Gabba where Washington Sundar outbowled Nathan Lyon
I guess I am incapable of making my point.

If you think it was mostly luck that determined whether you could succeed at the Gabba rather than relative cricketing skill of the bowler vs the batsman, then it was a poor pitch. The same statement applies to this Ahmedabad pitch. I watched every ball of the five days at the Gabba and the two days here, and I am sure you did as well. Based on that, I have my answer regarding the relative amount of skill vs luck required to do well. And I believe it’s a clear answer for me. If your answer is different, that’s fine.

In any case, as I said I don’t think I can make my point any differently so take it as you will, and you can have the last word.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Kohli has given England team management 2 choices for the 4th test

1. Return Vijay Mallya and Kohinoor and the pitch will be flat .
2. Another pitch like 3rd test

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's funny reading some of the comments:

Joe Root's 5/8 is proof that pitch was poor
but India getting all out on 36 in proof that India can't play fast bowling.

Fact is had India held onto the catches at Adelaide , Aus would have been all out on 120 and even Adelaide test would have been over inside 2 days.

Pink ball is bigger problem than pitch. It should be stopped in international cricket unless we get its better version after successful trial in domestic matches.
Weren't you saying exact opposite of this yesterday?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Because people were giving free pass to Adelaide pitch which I think is wrong.
That was also a very seam friendly pitch.
I think that wicket definitely had a fair bit for the bowlers but was not extraordinarily bowler friendly, 250-300 par wicket IMO. it was a combination of great bowling, freakish luck, bad batting and jammy pink ball collapso.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t think it was doctored, it was just substandard. Cute gal though. Hopefully she’s available for the weekend now there’s no cricket to watch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Any rating out of ten is going to be arbitrary, but is was an absolute smeller of a deck.

I think the fact that this is the quickest we've lost a test in for 99 years (Australia dicked us more rapidly at Trent Bridge in May 1921, apparently) and we've had some less than stellar batting line ups in that near-century* would suggest it was a bit ploppy pants.

*Certainly closer than England got to one in the test. :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Any rating out of ten is going to be arbitrary, but is was an absolute smeller of a deck.

I think the fact that this is the quickest we've lost a test in for 99 years (Australia dicked us more rapidly at Trent Bridge in May 1921, apparently) and we've had some less than stellar batting line ups in that near-century* would suggest it was a bit ploppy pants.

*Certainly closer than England got to one in the test. :ph34r:
I think even the worse batting lineups we were trotting out in the 80s and 90s (and some of them were worse, no doubt) weren't quite so volatile as the current gen. We've been dumped out for double figures more often in the last 3 years than the preceding 20. We're also facing an India team that are the best side in the world but can get skittled for 36. There's an all or nothing aspect to current batting sides.

Kirkut

International Regular
Because people were giving free pass to Adelaide pitch which I think is wrong.
That was also a very seam friendly pitch.
That Adelaide pitch was a standard Aussie pitch. Hazlewood and Cummins found the perfect length and demolished us.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As a separate discussion over and above this particular game, how much skill is there in (under)preparing a wicket? Surely the curator has to be held to the same sort of standards the other participants are subject to? I believe there's a rhythm and aesthetic to Test cricket (this after all is the reason why we still plump for white clothes and five days) and it has nothing to do with Anglocentrism. Seamers should derive some help from the pitch initially, spinners should come into play progressively, and batsmen shouldn't be fearing for their safety. You can mix up the percentages depending on where you're playing but the template should be along those lines broadly. It's a fine balancing act and no doubt depends on other variables, but the effort should be there at least and that's what I find lacking in these cases. 5 out of 22 players rendered utterly surplus to requirements in this game. That should never happen even making allowance for bad selection.