• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your opinion on 3rd test wicket?

Chrish

International Debutant
Honest question not having seeing a ball of day 2; Was the pitch as bad as the scorecard makes it look? Did it have uneven bounce?

In short, was this wicket acceptable? I am not asking about entertainment value. Was it a fair wicket or lotto wicket?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would rate it 4 out of 10, a bad pitch but not poor IMO. I have explained why here:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I would rate it 4 out of 10, a bad pitch but not poor IMO. I have explained why here:

4/10 sounds about right. That Keira Knightley reference in the quoted thread is pretty classy too... :wallbash:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Defensive skills of both sides were much wanting. They kept blocking by the side of the ball. I suppose that's all right if you're a pom as you don't get as many spinning decks in UK but when did India lose the skills to block in front of the pads or use the feet to get to the pitch of the ball?

Pitch was about 5 IMO, the batsmen were generally poor. India blasted the second innings run in a canter with no trouble. If it was that worse at least they should have lost like 3 or 4 wickets.

I may have found maybe half a dozen balls that kept lower but not ridiculously low.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
3/10. Should be rated poor by the ICC.

Joe Root got 5/8 in the first innings - on day 2 of a Test match. I'm sorry but that is not only bad batting.

That's a pitch (and perhaps the ball, which according to players skidded on much quicker) that has an element of luck that's too large compared to skill (note: that doesn't mean skill was zero, it just means the proportions were off). I had no problems with the Chennai pitch.

I would reserve 1-2/10 for pitches that are dangerous, which this one was not.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Joe Root got 5/8 in the first innings - on day 2 of a Test match. I'm sorry but that is not only bad batting.

That's a pitch (and perhaps the ball, which according to players skidded on much quicker) that has an element of luck that's too large compared to skill (note: that doesn't mean skill was zero, it just means the proportions were off). I had no problems with the Chennai pitch.

This is a pretty reasonable assessment
1-2 (dangerous) should probably see that ground never get a match again or at least not for years
A pitch like this was taking the piss but with the pink ball as well you'd still only want to slap them on the wrist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Pretty fair assessment imo.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’d give it a three. Batsman these days don’t play a lot of cricket outside of the Internationals when they’re under contract and they have poor techniques on anything that does a bit extra. I still think the England First Innings on the first day was about 50 below par.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man

I think this is the key. When a part timer can rip through a side like that on Day 2, let alone on day 5 (ala Clarke) then we gotta start asking a couple of questions. Now obviously poor defences and some terrible batting helped make it seem even worse, but the Joe Root spell is key.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1/10. Turned square and has grubby bounce.

The Narendra Modi Stadium should be banned for 2 years from hosting international matches for preparing such a substandard pitch. Obviously will not happen

White Ball

State 12th Man
I thought it was a good Cricket wicket good value for shots as you saw in India’s second innings and the opportunity to take wickets