• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favorite batsman to watch bat!!!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don Bradman, Peter May, Colin Cowdrey(Snr), Ken Barrington, Greg Chappell, David Gower,Norm O'Neill, Barry Richards, Neil Harvey,Mark Waugh, Steve Smith.

There an eleven of the finest stroke makers I have ever seen in our game.
Always feels unfair when you join in as you have seen the greatest of all and none of the rest of us are anywhere near old enough other than Burgey.

SillyCowCorner1

Lara
Sarwan(I used to copy his cuts shots)
Ricky Ponting
Sangakkara
Trescothick
Robin Utthapa
Kane Williamson
Hetmyer
Babar (the best cover driver in the game right now)
Ridley Jacobs with that high back lift

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Always feels unfair when you join in as you have seen the greatest of all and none of the rest of us are anywhere near old enough other than Burgey.
Thanks flibberty. I was going to post that the Don was the only one I hadn't seen though I only saw Harvey live on TV in the UK.

steve132

U19 Debutant
The very best of Garry Sobers was probably the best of my time, but I never saw any batsman as consistently exciting as Viv Richards. He dominated bowlers and destroyed bowling attacks in a way that had to be seen to be believed. Fortunately the highlights from some of his great innings have been preserved on video. If you want to know why his contemporaries thought so highly of him, a simple YouTube search would be highly rewarding.

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Put on the Lara highlights everyone. ****ing English weather.
Not in English conditions but against Eng, I have watched his 400 several times. It’s one of my favorite go to videos in YouTube.

That and saeed anwar’s 119 runs against Aus in Brisbane in 1999.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
In test cricket
lara
pietersen
gilchrist
rishabh pant
ricky ponting
The one in my avatar
Gower
steele
Babar Azam
Flintoff

in lois
Yuvraj singh
Buttler
Kl rahul
klusener
Dev

Kirkut

International Regular
Rahul Dravid in full flow looked more elegant that Tendulkar and Laxman. His 190 and 103 vs New Zealand in 1999

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Does anyone have Ponting's ton against England in 2009 Champion's Trophy? That was one of the most elegant innings in ODI.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The very best of Garry Sobers was probably the best of my time, but I never saw any batsman as consistently exciting as Viv Richards. He dominated bowlers and destroyed bowling attacks in a way that had to be seen to be believed. Fortunately the highlights from some of his great innings have been preserved on video. If you want to know why his contemporaries thought so highly of him, a simple YouTube search would be highly rewarding.
Agree - Sobers and Richards, but Barry rather than Viv

steve132

U19 Debutant
Agree - Sobers and Richards, but Barry rather than Viv
I'm a great Barry Richards fan. He doesn't seem to be very highly regarded in this forum, mainly because most posters never saw him bat and he never had the opportunity to play much Test cricket. I've seen suggestions that he might have become another Graeme Hick. Those of us who were around in the 1970's view matters very differently.

Barry played every shot in the book and could also improvise, but what I remember most about his batting is its sheer technical perfection. Observers who saw cricket before the war generally agreed that he had fewer weaknesses than any batsman since Hobbs. It's hard to imagine much higher praise than that. I tend to agree, however, with Trevor Bailey when he wrote that Barry "did not generate as much excitement as did the brutal strokeplay of his namesake Vivian, but his strokes had the elegance and discipline of a Keats sonnet." If consistent excitement is the metric, I still believe that Viv narrowly shades Barry and Sobers, as well as Lara and Tendulkar, my favorite batsmen of the past thirty years.

bagapath

International Captain
Most of the elegant looking batters averaged in the 40s

Gower
Azhar
Damien Martin
Laxman
Kanhai
M. Waugh
Mahela Jayawardene
Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Peter May

Only two batsmen looked as cool as them and yet statistically they played on a higher plane.
One of them was
G. Chappell

The other one was
Brian Lara

trundler

Gower
Azhar
Damien Martin
Laxman
Kanhai
M. Waugh
Mahela Jayawardene
Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Peter May

Only two batsmen looked as cool as them and yet statistically they played on a higher plane.
One of them was
G. Chappell

The other one was
Brian Lara
List needs more Crowe

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
And sometimes you have super elegant guys like Carl Hooper averaging in the 30s.

Meanwhile, you look at the 10,000 run club, and they're mostly not that aesthetically pleasing. Shiv, Gavaskar, Cook, Dravid, Kallis, Waugh....over two third's of that list is pure uggos.