• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He's great but his repetitiveness is a legitimate criticism. His pieces are always filler pieces though, so I don't mind them being a distinct style.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So-called "cricket journalists" gathering around a dropped player to conduct a festival of dumb questions the day after it's happened - for example, "Are you determined to fight your way back, Shane?". You've had a day to prepare and that's the best you can come up with? Sports journalism as a whole has died in the arse the last few years, but how do these knobs get a go at proving their incompetence by asking silly questions...and more importantly, where do I sign up?

I'm not a Watto fan, and it has been frustrating watching him fail to fully live up to his potential, but you have to feel for the bloke when he's approached by some of these ****ing idiots waving microphones and a complete lack of a clue in his face.

I did like his answer to one peanut who asked, "Do you think it will be difficult to force your way back in to a team that played so well yesterday?", though. "Against Afghanistan?..........yeah, definitely".

That question is clearly on the journos list of "Questions to Be Asked Whenever a Team Plays Well/Wins Big, Regardless of the Situation".

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are two options when watching the game - listen with the terrible commentary or on mute with no sound of the bat hitting the ball and the atmosphere. While the first option is terrible, the second option is not amazing. Would be nice if a sound option existed for switching the damn commentary off without turning the match atmosphere feed off. Given that we can now here commentary in hindi, japanese and dothraki, get this option going, ffs.

bagapath

International Captain
[citation needed]
Bhogle: Its funny when you are in the middle of a very bad run of scores and you don't know where your next run is going to come from, but suddenly... somehow... the ball finds the middle of your bat and races to the boundary... and then... everything seems alright.

Akram: Yeah... it is like (cut off)

Bhogle: Your head position adjusts itself. Your feet are moving in the right direction.

Shastri: Well Harsha... (cut off)

Bhogle: Your timing is back. And you rediscover your run scoring technique. Isn't it amazing what confidence, or lack of it, can do to your game?

Akram: Yes.

****ing moron Harsha Bhogle... Don't keep yacking all the time. Let me watch the game in peace.

Riggins

International Captain
There are two options when watching the game - listen with the terrible commentary or on mute with no sound of the bat hitting the ball and the atmosphere. While the first option is terrible, the second option is not amazing. Would be nice if a sound option existed for switching the damn commentary off without turning the match atmosphere feed off. Given that we can now here commentary in hindi, japanese and dothraki, get this option going, ffs.
Big time. I'd pay extra just to listen to stump mic.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Big time. I'd pay extra just to listen to stump mic.
I'd love the ICC to put together a yearly subscription package like the NBA's league pass but give us the option for different camera angles, mic options, replays/hawk eye on demand etc. I'd pay a lot for that service.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'd love the ICC to put together a yearly subscription package like the NBA's league pass but give us the option for different camera angles, mic options, replays/hawk eye on demand etc. I'd pay a lot for that service.
Giving customers what they want? Are you crazy? Clearly the answer is to give them terrible overpriced multi-channel packages and berate them for not buying them.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The scoreboard graphic by Star Sports in this world cup. Displays how the wickets fell for about 2 seconds before the partnership graphic animates over it including huge mugshots of the current batsmen.

A lot of perjorative cliches about Indians and bowling enters my mind every time this happens before I've managed to read who has taken the wickets. Hello, it's not just about the ****ing batting!

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The cricket works cup forums leaving me to talk to myself on the NZ domestic thread is grinding my gears.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Commentators mentioning how much domestic or IPL **** cricket two players have played together as evidence of "good understanding". As if international cricket doesn't count towards developing understanding.

cnerd123

likes this
Lazy umpires.

Call the ****ing no-balls you ****ing ****s. Fair enough you want to refer wicket-taking balls, but you shouldn't have to be referring them to begin with. And what's worse is that because you guys are too ****ing lazy to look down anymore, you miss blatant no-balls all the time. Maybe if you called them when they occur, the bowler would be able to correct his runup before he takes a wicket. Instead you wait for the wicket to fall, then check for the no-ball, and end up being a major buzzkill for the fielding side and their fans.

You also shouldn't need to refer every ****ing runout and stumping to the third umpire. Use your eyes. Each review is time wasted in the game. We complain about slow over rates and players going off the field for bad light before completing the required overs, and part of this is because you feel the need to trouble the third umpire every time the bails are knocked off.

Do your ****ing jobs man.

Gob

International Coach
Lazy umpires.

Call the ****ing no-balls you ****ing ****s. Fair enough you want to refer wicket-taking balls, but you shouldn't have to be referring them to begin with. And what's worse is that because you guys are too ****ing lazy to look down anymore, you miss blatant no-balls all the time. Maybe if you called them when they occur, the bowler would be able to correct his runup before he takes a wicket. Instead you wait for the wicket to fall, then check for the no-ball, and end up being a major buzzkill for the fielding side and their fans.

You also shouldn't need to refer every ****ing runout and stumping to the third umpire. Use your eyes. Each review is time wasted in the game. We complain about slow over rates and players going off the field for bad light before completing the required overs, and part of this is because you feel the need to trouble the third umpire every time the bails are knocked off.

Do your ****ing jobs man.
Harsh #Dharmablahblahthoughts

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Commentators who bang on about bowlers swinging the ball when it's clearly deviated off the seam.
I don't like when people refer to seam movement as cutters either. That's always rolling the fingers down/over the seam to me.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't like when people prefer to seam movement as cutters either. That's always rolling the fingers down/over the seam to me.
Yeah I agree but as I said to you (I think!) a while ago, we actually have insufficient cricket terminology. If you bowl a ball that swings away, you've bowled an outswinger. If you roll your fingers down one side and it breaks away, you've bowled a leg cutter. "Outseamer" isn't an accepted term, but I've always wanted to have a crack at popularising it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah it was me you said it to. I guess there's nip away, or whatever, but we should just go with talking about out and inseamers.