• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst bowler to take n or more wickets in Tests?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A related question would be who is the worst bowler to have a Test match five-fer

Curious bit of trivia is that Basil Butcher, who played 44 Tests, only ever took five Test wickets, all in the one innings in this famous game

91Jmay

International Coach
A related question would be who is the worst bowler to have a Test match five-fer

Curious bit of trivia is that Basil Butcher, who played 44 Tests, only ever took five Test wickets, all in the one innings in this famous game
A supple, wristy, resolute batsman, Basil Butcher became a consistently reliable performer at No. 4 or 5 in the West Indies order. In his first Test series, against India in 1958-59, he made 486 runs at 69.42, but had a chequered career thereafter, until the 1963 tour of England, when he made 383 runs in eight completed innings, including 133 out of 229 in the memorable draw at Lord's. During an interval in that match he opened a letter which advised him that (against a background of civil war) his wife had had a miscarriage back home in Guyana. Very upset, Butcher continued to play a solid and masterly innings which saved his side. Two fine series against Australia led Richie Benaud to consider him the most difficult of all West Indians to get out. An occasional legspinner himself, the only Test wickets Butcher took were all in one innings - 5 for 34 (four coming in three overs) against England at Port-of-Spain in 1967-68.
RE Basil Butcher, just had a look at him.

Bloody hell :-O

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
any bowler with what ever figures, be it great or mediocre , if achieved thru moral means deserves his milestones. On the other hand ,even bowlers who achieved great success with cheating like ball tampering will always be non deserving candidates in my list. Based on that, Imran Khan who was a pioneer in his art of tampering and later passing on his legacy to his great disciples will be my first non deserving candidate.

the big bambino

International Captain
Irfan Pathan ended up pretty bad after promising so much good. Even worse if you are inclined to adjust for his wickets against Zim and Bang.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
any bowler with what ever figures, be it great or mediocre , if achieved thru moral means deserves his milestones. On the other hand ,even bowlers who achieved great success with cheating like ball tampering will always be non deserving candidates in my list. Based on that, Imran Khan who was a pioneer in his art of tampering and later passing on his legacy to his great disciples will be my first non deserving candidate.
lol if you think Imran pioneered ball tampering.

Kirkut

International Regular
You have to be totally soulless to believe Harbhajan is among the worst to get 400 wickets. He won games for us from impossible situations.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you're kinda missing the point of this topic. A lot of the bowlers have produced those performances, which is why they have n number of wickets.
This conversation is more about the fact that some of these bowlers, despite n number of wickets might not be great bowlers, or bowlers with great skill.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For example, I don't believe Umar Gul is a great test bowler, His career stats of 163 wickets at 34 in 47 tests is not a great record by any means. He won't be playing that many tests in the future, and would have played even less had Amir or Asif not committed that crime. And he would have played more had Junaid Khan or Rahat or Wahab had not come along.

But had he played for India or Bangladesh, he could very well have had a very long career of 90s plus tests, 300 plus wickets. He would still not be a great test bowler though.

Kirkut

International Regular
I think you're kinda missing the point of this topic. A lot of the bowlers have produced those performances, which is why they have n number of wickets.
This conversation is more about the fact that some of these bowlers, despite n number of wickets might not be great bowlers, or bowlers with great skill.
And how does Murali make it to the list ?