• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst #1 Bowling Attack

Himannv

International Coach
Tendulkar was pretty good with the ball back then. I think he was probably one of their best bowlers at one time. Used to toss it up into the rough and be a bit of a handful.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Richie Benaud rates his leg-spinners highly IIRC. It might have been the innings mentioned when he toon two wickets with ripping leg-breaks that Benaud commented on how Tendulker was a natural talent as a leg-spinner and yet would never improve as he couldn't devote training time to the art.

No big loss I must admit.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Oh yeah, by all means, it's a valid question to ask. Just find the timing of all these threads a bit amusing.

Gillespie played all four matches in that series BTW. MacGill was always going to be fodder for India, but he's a pretty decent bowler who would have played a lot more cricket for any other country, as his record shows.
I'm pretty sure Gillespie missed the 2nd test due to injury. He then rushed back into the side for the remaining tests a little underdone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do you mean making reasonable points regarding worst #1 bowling attacks? :cool:
Not sure why you're being a smartarse, but anyway. I think the criticisms against India are fair, as were the criticisms against Australia's decline (which have turned out to be spot on).

But the fact is Australia would kick some butt for a while, then lose a test, and a thread would pop up talking about the death of Australian cricket. Then they'd win a few, then lose again, and the same thing would happen. It got to the point where an official "Decline of Australian Cricket" thread had to be created.

So people sticking the boot into India (if vcs or others see it that way) isn't a new thing. It happened to Australia too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm pretty sure Gillespie missed the 2nd test due to injury. He then rushed back into the side for the remaining tests a little underdone.
Nah Gillespie played the first test (Gabba) and the second test (Adelaide). He was underdone in Adelaide and then missed the third test (Melbourne) before returning for the fourth test (Sydney).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's not sticking the boot in it at all. It's a reasonable question, especially when Zaheer is out injured.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay well tell vcs that. I wasn't saying it was. All I was saying was India isn't the first team to have constnat posts/threads made like this, and they won't be the last.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure why you're being a smartarse, but anyway. I think the criticisms against India are fair, as were the criticisms against Australia's decline (which have turned out to be spot on).

But the fact is Australia would kick some butt for a while, then lose a test, and a thread would pop up talking about the death of Australian cricket. Then they'd win a few, then lose again, and the same thing would happen. It got to the point where an official "Decline of Australian Cricket" thread had to be created.

So people sticking the boot into India (if vcs or others see it that way) isn't a new thing. It happened to Australia too.
OK, that's fair enough. Nature of cricket fans in general I suppose. Haven't been here long enough to know (cue posts calling me a fairweather fan.. :ph34r:).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
OK, that's fair enough. Nature of cricket fans in general I suppose. Haven't been here long enough to know (cue posts calling me a fairweather fan.. :ph34r:).
Don't worry, some other posters around here get a little grumpy when their team starts losing. Bloody Joni is a nightmare.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie was good, but so is Harby now. MacGill was never going to be anything but slaughtered by India in 2003, ridiculously flat pitches. Id say our attack was probably better marginally though. India are so doomed when Sachin and Dravid retire, this theory that there are all these stunning batsmen waiting for a chance looks like garbage to me, Raina is just a short form tonker. Pujara looks ok, so does Kholi though.
+1

About time, we stop recruiting test batsmen from ODI / T20 teams.