• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst #1 Bowling Attack

M0rphin3

International Debutant
From what i have seen India has this tendency to play real crap in the first game and make a come back so until the series is over....i would say lets just stfu...
awta, would still think India will draw the series, if not win tbh.

Blaze 18

Banned
Did you bother to read my post?

The last series they played at home was the infamous one vs Srilanka and they drew both. The one they played in India, they managed to draw all except one. Other than that all were swinging/bowler friendly conditions where they admittedly suck. And about the above mentioned scorecard, they were all bowler friendly tracks were Pakistan failed. Was a low scoring series in general.
I am sorry, but the pitches that Pakistan encountered in Sri Lanka were far from bowler friendly. Anyway, let us agree to disagree.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yes, it was a surprise, but I think you need to give Pakistan more credit. They showed a lot of fight against Steyn and co, even if it was on featherbeds. Some of their younger players arguably 'came of age' during that series. SA were poor too, but you can't take away from Pakistan after all the **** they've been involved in recently.
Oh yes, Pakistan definitely deserve credit for their performance; I am not trying to take credit away from their performance at all. On the contrary, I am the one arguing against the it-was-only-a-draw-because-the-pitches-were-roads argument. They drew it because they batted brilliantly against a world-class attack, which should count against South Africa in my opinion. Don't forget, on the same 'roads' Pakistan had South Africa in deep trouble, and if the umpires hadn't been as magnanimous to AB as they were, Pakistan may have even gone on to win the match and the series.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I am sorry, but the pitches that Pakistan encountered in Sri Lanka were far from bowler friendly. Anyway, let us agree to disagree.
Wrong. 1st test in Galle was played on a very bowler friendly pitch. It was Thushara who bowled a magnificent spell of seam bowling set the game up. Second one also played on a bowling friendly pitch. The drawn one of course was lot flatter

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, SL suffers a lot from the myth of "subcontinental roads".

Blaze 18

Banned
Wrong. 1st test in Galle was played on a very bowler friendly pitch. It was Thushara who bowled a magnificent spell of seam bowling set the game up. Second one also played on a bowling friendly pitch. The drawn one of course was lot flatter
Would you say that the pitches warranted the collapses (Pakistan's second innings of the first test, first and second innings of the second test) ? I would not. It was down to some very good bowling from Sri Lanka, and some abysmal batting from Pakistan. They were not 'roads' certainly, but hardly overtly bowler friendly ones.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Thought it was Kulasekra who demolished us.

Blaze 18

Banned
Some numbers :

Pakistan lost eight wickets for forty-six runs in the second innings of the first test.

Pakistan were bowled out for ninety in the first innings of the second test, and lost nine wickets for thirty-five runs in the second dig. The Sri Lankan pitches were not that bad, come on guys.

Jeez, I am struggling to get my point across here. I have successfully managed to confuse myself :laugh:

Jokes aside, what I am trying to say is that the fact that Pakistan managed to draw the series against South Africa (despite missing a number of players) should be held against South Africa. People shouldn't just make excuses for South Africa and say, "hey, those pitches were too flat, no team could have won". It is akin to me making excuses for India's first innings collapse at Centurion :)

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Some numbers :

Pakistan lost eight wickets for forty-six runs in the second innings of the first test.

Pakistan were bowled out for ninety in the first innings of the second test, and lost nine wickets for thirty-five runs in the second dig. The Sri Lankan pitches were not that bad, come on guys.

Jeez, I am struggling to get my point across here. I have successfully managed to confuse myself :laugh:

Jokes aside, what I am trying to say is that the fact that Pakistan managed to draw the series against South Africa (despite missing a number of players) should be held against South Africa. People shouldn't just make excuses for South Africa and say, "hey, those pitches were too flat, no team could have won". It is akin to me making excuses for India's first innings collapse at Centurion :)
Certainly agree with this. Had Pak shown some balls they could have gone for a win in the first test when they needed T20 batting 114 or so in 15 overs when Misbah called it off.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Its such a weak excuse mentioning flat wickets for SA's inability to beat Pakistan recently. What one is basically doing there is admitting that SA's bowlers are greentop bullies.

Blaze 18

Banned
Certainly agree with this. Had Pak shown some balls they could have gone for a win in the first test when they needed T20 batting 114 or so in 15 overs when Misbah called it off.
Not to mention the horrible umpiring in the second test when South Africa were in dire straits.

Xuhaib

International Coach
am I the only one who thought that Pakistan was not dire in England yes they lost 4 but then how many sub cont teams go and win 2 test matches in England especially with this batting line up.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Would you say that the pitches warranted the collapses (Pakistan's second innings of the first test, first and second innings of the second test) ? I would not. It was down to some very good bowling from Sri Lanka, and some abysmal batting from Pakistan. They were not 'roads' certainly, but hardly overtly bowler friendly ones.
That's what I said, Pakistan are no good (except in a few odd occasions really) in bowler friendly conditions. The point still being Pakistan batsmen being damn good FTBs.

Blaze 18

Banned
That's what I said, Pakistan are no good (except in a few odd occasions really) in bowler friendly conditions. The point still being Pakistan batsmen being damn good FTBs.
Well, you would still expect the world's best bowling attack to run through a line-up short on confidence, wouldn't you ? And Pakistan's batting line-up was actually quite weak in that it had a lot of new players/players playing after a long time/players missing, so the fact that South Africa couldn't get twenty wickets should count against them in my opinion.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
am I the only one who thought that Pakistan was not dire in England yes they lost 4 but then how many sub cont teams go and win 2 test matches in England especially with this batting line up.
Their bowling was damn good, equally good, if not better than that of the home teams. Their batting however, was pathetic. In the matches they won, they did it by putting in the opposition, getting them out for a low 1st innings score and controlled the match from there. Even then, they nearly ****ed up some simple chases.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Well, you would still expect the world's best bowling attack to run through a line-up short on confidence, wouldn't you ? And Pakistan's batting line-up was actually quite weak in that it had a lot of new players/players playing after a long time/players missing, so the fact that South Africa couldn't get twenty wickets should count against them in my opinion.
Quite weak?
Taufeeq Umar>>Salman Butt, Anyone really>Farhat, Younis Khan>>>Umer Amin. Only guy they missed was Yousuf but they still had Younis. That's much stronger than the NZ squad which toured India. And Steyn was coming back from an injury too tbf.

Blaze 18

Banned
Quite weak?
Taufeeq Umar>>Salman Butt, Anyone really>Farhat, Younis Khan>>>Umer Amin. Only guy they missed was Yousuf but they still had Younis. That's much stronger than the NZ squad which toured India. And Steyn was coming back from an injury too tbf.
The last test Taufeeq Umar played before the South African series was in 2006; Mohammad Hafeez was playing after a long time as well (And I think Salman Butt would have done okay, the pitches would have suited him). Younis Khan is class, but he was making a comeback after sixteen months; Asad Shafique and Adnan Akmal were making their debuts. Fair point on Dale Steyn.

Look, I can see merit in the don't-read-too-much-into-two-test-matches argument, but what I don't buy is the "oh, the pitches were roads argument". Like G.I Joe said, that makes it sound as if the world's best bowling attack can only perform in conditions that suit them.