• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women's football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Molehill

International Captain
The UK's utterly utterly utterly insane approach to anti-racism laws strikes again
I agree that it’s somewhat daft that this is going to Court. But if she’d said it to a black policeman….

I suspect there’s probably more too.

Spark

Global Moderator
I agree that it’s somewhat daft that this is going to Court. But if she’d said it to a black policeman….

I suspect there’s probably more too.
Oh to be clear I would be opposed to prosecuting that too, because I've long thought - and have said many times - that the way the UK approaches these situations with heavy handed criminal justice enforcement is ridiculous and counterproductive, not least because it leads to patently absurd situations like this.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A lad I know got a banning order for telling a Wrexham fan to shove a dragon up his arse. This country lost the plot long ago

Spark

Global Moderator
And look, that's not to say casual racism and blithely throwing around racial tags like this is 100% above board and shouldn't be met with some sort of social sanction, or, like, a fine from FFA or something like that. But as someone who has experienced more than my fair share of casual racism on the street the idea that I'd want to sic the criminal justice system on a guy because he called me a "dumb Asian bastard" is actually mildly embarrassing.

Molehill

International Captain
Oh to be clear I would be opposed to prosecuting that too, because I've long thought - and have said many times - that the way the UK approaches these situations with heavy handed criminal justice enforcement is ridiculous and counterproductive, not least because it leads to patently absurd situations like this.
I think the problem is (and this links to earlier discussions) that the terms black, or shortened version of Pakistani have such historical connotations of abuse in this country that it’s hard to ignore.

I don’t really get why charges are being pressed against her, but had she said something along black or Pakistani lines she’d be in all sorts now.

A lad I know got a banning order for telling a Wrexham fan to shove a dragon up his arse. This country lost the plot long ago
Comments against the Welsh should be applauded not punished!!

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the problem is (and this links to earlier discussions) that the terms black, or shortened version of Pakistani have such historical connotations of abuse in this country that it’s hard to ignore.

I don’t really get why charges are being pressed against her, but had she said something along black or Pakistani lines she’d be in all sorts now.

Comments against the Welsh should be applauded not punished!!
A lot of people had assumed that this was the case for this reason tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Charges probably being pressed because the (totally non-racist lol) police force have an axe to grind/want to make an example out of someone, I suspect. This sort of thing probably happens all the time, they just won't bother passing the file to the CPS 99 times out of 100 because they know what a farce it is.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You’d have thought an apology etc would suffice but, who knows, maybe she’s being completely unreasonable

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Charges probably being pressed because the (totally non-racist lol) police force have an axe to grind/want to make an example out of someone, I suspect. This sort of thing probably happens all the time, they just won't bother passing the file to the CPS 99 times out of 100 because they know what a farce it is.
Plus they're too busy out raping and murdering to actually file reports, poor little loves.

Tangentially related: anyone see the BBC doc on Sarah Everard?

It's a great piece of filmmaking but a bloody hard watch; heartbreaking and infuriating by equal measure.

Met does not come out of it well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right, it’s the Met. The ****ing bat**** decision to prosecute makes total sense now.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I doubt the officer would've known who she was at the time of the incident so are you suggesting that when they realised it was someone "famous" they've decided to push for a prosecution? Or would it indicate that this incident was more serious, with her being particular aggressive or obstructive whole under the influence?

It looks like the incident as a whole was a not a great moment for Kerr, she also kept it from Football Australia, but daft this has taken a year to get to an initial hearing and will be another twelve months before trial.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I doubt the officer would've known who she was at the time of the incident so are you suggesting that when they realised it was someone "famous" they've decided to push for a prosecution? Or would it indicate that this incident was more serious, with her being particular aggressive or obstructive whole under the influence?

It looks like the incident as a whole was a not a great moment for Kerr, she also kept it from Football Australia, but daft this has taken a year to get to an initial hearing and will be another twelve months before trial.
Not necessarily, but it is not out of the question. Could just be a case of some white dude being talked down to by a non-white woman and just deciding to be a dick about it.

Molehill

International Captain
You’d have thought an apology etc would suffice but, who knows, maybe she’s being completely unreasonable
I’d have thought the same, but that’s why I wondered if there’s a bit more to this story.

However, as Uppercut points out, it’s the MET so you can throw out all common sense from the window.

Anyway, I used to regularly get taxis back to Twickenham when hammered, feel like I’ve missed out on some fun…

Molehill

International Captain
Not necessarily, but it is not out of the question. Could just be a case of some white dude being talked down to by a non-white woman and just deciding to be a dick about it.
I suspect she was being an arse in the first place, why else would they be there?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I suspect she was being an arse in the first place, why else would they be there?
I dunno, but it probably isn't helpful to speculate about this, because that's neither here nor there so far as whether she's actually committed the offence she's been charged with is concerned.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's gonna be difficult for an insult that mentions race to not be legally defined by a judge as a racially motivated insult right?

How much nuance is allowed with this stuff?

This is like... a hypothetical I didn't expect to ever actually happen

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's gonna be difficult for an insult that mentions race to not be legally defined by a judge as a racially motivated insult right?

How much nuance is allowed with this stuff?

This is like... a hypothetical I didn't expect to ever actually happen
Whether it's an insult is not the issue. If it was then she'd be guilty af from the off. It's whether what she said would, in the eyes of a "reasonable person", have been capable of causing distress or alarm.