• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women's football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But is it? I guess the more you think about it, reaching the semi finals of a global sport on home soil is always going to grab attention. You could argue that that achievement is higher than cricketers or netballers winning World Cups given the greater level of competition.
Lauren Jackson is arguably top 10 Australian sportsperson of all time (levels above Kerr), won a silver medal at the Sydney Olympics and a bronze medal in last worlds in Sydney at 40

Only reason vast majority would look at her in the street is because she’s 6’5”

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But is it? I guess the more you think about it, reaching the semi finals of a global sport on home soil is always going to grab attention. You could argue that that achievement is higher than cricketers or netballers winning World Cups given the greater level of competition.
Too many sports have ignored 50% of the population for too long. Cricket probably paved the way here in terms of promoting a womens' national team in a sport played across genders, but the Matildas have taken it to the next level. A rare moment where a sporting body here has seized its moment. I've heard it said there are kids who've asked their parents if there's a men's Matildas team.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Lauren Jackson is arguably top 10 Australian sportsperson of all time (levels above Kerr), won a silver medal at the Sydney Olympics and a bronze medal in last worlds in Sydney at 40

Only reason vast majority would look at her in the street is because she’s 6’5”
I honestly think Kerr's achievements stack up to Jackson's pretty well. She's been top 3 for the past 3 Ballon D'Or awards. She's still the all time leading scorer in the USA domestic leagues even though she left after 2019. Her current club side have 4 straight titles and 3 straight cups. Internationally I feel like the Opals and the Matildas have had similar levels of success, it's only that Olympic medal that Jackson holds. In terms of getting noticed by the general public though, she's also got a Young Australian of the Year award and she made a FIFA cover. Jackson wasn't getting on 2k covers with Kobe or anything like that.

The Matildas in general aren't just popular because they're good though. They're also diverse, and they started to peak just as they were having a home tournament, followed by an Olympic year, which will likely be followed by another home tournament (2026 Asian Cup). Then there's the Brisbane Olympics as well. Up until now you would've really struggled to point out any great controversy surrounding the group either, so they're very marketable. There's also the fact that they aren't on the same level of cash as the equivalent male sporting stars, so they're more willing and keen to actually promote the game and themselves to earn more money.

social

One thing for certain is that it has nothing to do with Football Australia as they’re right up there with Rugby Australia for incompetence

Spark

Global Moderator
I was going to say that's a surprise, but the more I think about it, maybe not. The last 2 SPOTY winners here were female footballers, but that probably highlights the success they've had compared to other sports over the last 2 years.

There were 60k for the N London Derby on Sunday, but I don't think TV Ratings are that great at a club level.

So she would trump the likes of Cummins, Smith or the top NRL players?
Cummins and Smith possibly the only ones who top them. The football codes are too provincial to really count.

social

I honestly think Kerr's achievements stack up to Jackson's pretty well. She's been top 3 for the past 3 Ballon D'Or awards. She's still the all time leading scorer in the USA domestic leagues even though she left after 2019. Her current club side have 4 straight titles and 3 straight cups. Internationally I feel like the Opals and the Matildas have had similar levels of success, it's only that Olympic medal that Jackson holds. In terms of getting noticed by the general public though, she's also got a Young Australian of the Year award and she made a FIFA cover. Jackson wasn't getting on 2k covers with Kobe or anything like that.

The Matildas in general aren't just popular because they're good though. They're also diverse, and they started to peak just as they were having a home tournament, followed by an Olympic year, which will likely be followed by another home tournament (2026 Asian Cup). Then there's the Brisbane Olympics as well. Up until now you would've really struggled to point out any great controversy surrounding the group either, so they're very marketable. There's also the fact that they aren't on the same level of cash as the equivalent male sporting stars, so they're more willing and keen to actually promote the game and themselves to earn more money.
Women’s football is in it’s infancy compared to basketball

It was an Olympic exhibition sport in 1996 while basketball’s been a part of the games since 1976

Jackson is a 3 time WNBA MVP (plus all her other accolades)

There’s a world of difference between her and Kerr

ripper868

International Coach
Matildas popularity is just weird

Good but not great team and certainly nothing compared to the female cricketers, netballers, swimmers and even basketballers
Yeah agree - but
Petracca, tbf; I pluralised for (obviously failed) comedic effect.

AFL not really your bag though, is it?
Yeah realised when I googled - it isn't my bag but I always had an idea about who was what and who for the most part - I can probably only name 5-6 Super Rugby players these days who aren't wallabies and Rugby is my bag.
Even less in the NRL who weren't already established 6+ years ago.

I'm also no where near as invested as I used to be. So it's likely my fault really

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Her best bet is just to denying she said anything at all unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary tbh. If there is some sort of proof she said the words she is alleged to have said she is on thin ice though, because on paper it sounds like all of the elements of the offence have been made out.

social

Her best bet is just to denying she said anything at all unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary tbh. If there is some sort of proof she said the words she is alleged to have said she is on thin ice though, because on paper it sounds like all of the elements of the offence have been made out.
That’s not her defence apparently

Going with the old “didn’t mean to cause offence “ or similar

You’re the lawyer but my brief reading of it is that doesn’t cut it

social

In the last few days, Australian sport has been hit with Kerr, a coloured League player calling another coloured player a monkey and a Muslim football player objecting to Pride round

Why can’t these dickheads stick to disgracing themselves on the turps?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That’s not her defence apparently

Going with the old “didn’t mean to cause offence “ or similar

You’re the lawyer but my brief reading of it is that doesn’t cut it
Yeah, it's unlikely to imo. But it depends on whether she can convince the court.

The offence she has been charged with is committed whenever someone:

a) does something/uses words that is/are racially aggravated and;

b) these words/conduct, in the eyes of a "reasonable person"', could (not necessarily "would" or "did") cause the victim to experience feelings of alarm or distress.

The words she used are undeniably "racially aggravated" by the letter of the law (i.e., because her use of a slur was immediately preceded by reference to a racial characteristic).

So the only remaining question is whether the use of the word "bastard" would be perceived by a reasonable person as capable of causing alarm or distress to the person it was directed at. This isn't (imo) a particularly hard sell (i.e., because it is a purely pejorative term).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd guess the copper had his (it's almost certainly a man) body cam running?

Couldn't she go down the "it was sarcasm" route a la Terry? Stretches credulity, but potentially muddies the waters.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also worth bearing in mind that because this is a low level offence she'll (presumably) be tried by magistrates (i.e., without a jury), which means her chances of conviction are (statistically at least) much higher.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd guess the copper had his (it's almost certainly a man) body cam running?

Couldn't she go down the "it was sarcasm" route a la Terry? Stretches credulity, but potentially muddies the waters.
The problem with this option is that you can still be convicted of the offence even if you did not intend to cause harassment. That a reasonable person would perceive your conduct as being harassment/harassing is enough to constitute the offence.