• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Joel Garner so underrated?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I have never seen a bowler who has been so accurate, he was on target almost every time. He made the batsmen very uncomfortable with his high arm action and the awkward bounce that he generated. His stats are also excellent. I feel he was pretty much unplayable most of the times.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bad timing I suppose - if his like appeared now he would be hailed as the saviour of WIndies cricket and the greatest of them all

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
probably more under rated in ODIs, rated accurately in Tests I believe. But yes, definitely bad timing. Was never the no. 1 guy in the attack in his playing days.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Garner is an out and out gun and one of my favorite cricketers of all time. In my opinion, the greatest limited overs bowler of all time.

Always think that he should be remembered more prominently as a test bowler. Especially considering how economical he could be as well as striking regularly.

smash84

The Tiger King
Probably under rated because not a lot of people saw a lot of him and those who saw marshall Or HolsHolding decided that they were better?

smash84

The Tiger King
Garner > Holding imho. He was a flat out incredible bowler.
I can't claim to have seen too much of both but Holding was incredible. Sure Garner was all tidy and all but Holding was the one with the real x factor Imo

jcas0167

International Debutant
I have never seen a bowler who has been so accurate, he was on target almost every time. He made the batsmen very uncomfortable with his high arm action and the awkward bounce that he generated. His stats are also excellent. I feel he was pretty much unplayable most of the times.
I didn't think he was underrated? He's generally seen as an all time great isn't he?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't claim to have seen too much of both but Holding was incredible. Sure Garner was all tidy and all but Holding was the one with the real x factor Imo
Yeah you're comparing two amazing bowlers here tbf. Different, but both were greats.

Red

Just two wickets in the clip, but he must've been literally unplayable at times with the height and the bounce he generated. Amazing to watch

Red

I know people probably get sick of me banging on about ATG ****, but imagine Lillee, Wasim and Garner as a diverse pace attack in an ODI team. Hell yeh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
6'8", very quick-express and deadly accurate has a bit of X factor about it to me

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
i consider him the best fast bowler after marshall that WI ever produced. superb control bowler.

he could get the best batsmen out on a regular basis.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Not sure that Garner is that under-rated because people alway refer to him in glowing terms as far as I can tell.

I reckon that Andy Roberts is the most under-rated of the 8 great modern West Indian fast bowlers - not that I want to turn this into a thread about Andy Roberts. Just as quick as Holding at his peak, more accurate, and had a better bouncer.

bagapath

International Captain
Not enough five fers. Don't think he went wicketless in any of his 58 tests which is probably a record. But didn't single handedly bowl out opposition like Marshall or Holding or Ambrose often enough to be remembered for specific performances. He was always a threat and was a giant in stature. He rarely failed. but I don't recall specific games where he rocked the opposition with stellar performances like holding did in oval 76 or Amby in Perth 92.

Last edited: