• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Joel Garner so underrated?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This is true. Waqar lost some pace after his first injury and then after the time of his second injury in the mid 90s he lost a significant amount of pace. I remember that towards the end 90s and early 00s waqar used to bowl slower than Wasim and generally would be around the 80-82 mph mark. He had also lost his banana swing of the early years which when send down at pace had earned him so many wickets.
But that doesn't explain why Wasim and Shoaib who were the best among the business were flying too. No one after Wasim and Waqar (except Malinga for some time) were good with yorkers. Most of them did get their yorkers to tail enders, but how many of top order have you seen cleaned by yorkers post 2005? Batsmen have learnt to play them because it was the default line. Simple as that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
But that doesn't explain why Wasim and Shoaib who were the best among the business were flying too. No one after Wasim and Waqar (except Malinga for some time) were good with yorkers. Most of them did get their yorkers to tail enders, but how many of top order have you seen cleaned by yorkers post 2005? Batsmen have learnt to play them because it was the default line. Simple as that.
Ask Brendan McCullum

smash84

The Tiger King
Sure batsmen have learnt to play the yorker well but Waqar had declined towards the end. Wasim was still as good as ever towards the end and he could roll batsmen over with his swinging yorker. They both retired in 2003-04 and Waqar retired at the age of 33.

So i don't get what your point really is?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The point is that even the best in the business found it going tough. In ODIs batsmen started learning more tricks than bowlers. That is why I don't back Garner or Imran to do as well as Wasim or McGrath against current set of batsmen.

smash84

The Tiger King
The point is that even the best in the business found it going tough. In ODIs batsmen started learning more tricks than bowlers. That is why I don't back Garner or Imran to do as well as Wasim or McGrath against current set of batsmen.
I don't think that Wasim or McG doing better against batsmen today is only a function of how good the batsmen are getting.

You also have to account for the bowler's ability. Will McG get carted around more in today's ODIs, sure thing. But would he still have been wildly successful, absolutely. That's because i believe McG would still have been outsmarting batsmen because he was a thinking bowler who could adapt his lines, his length, and his game. Same for Wasim, or Garner.