• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
one of the best performed fast bowlers in the recent Under-19 Series was an australian guy called Gurinder Sandhu who yep, indian parents.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
one of the best performed fast bowlers in the recent Under-19 Series was an australian guy called Gurinder Sandhu who yep, indian parents.
Interesting.

I'm pretty sure every seam bowler with subcontinental antecedents who's played for England has roots in Pakistan. Off the top of my head: Kabir Ali, Saj Mahmood & Amjad Khan.

Every English player with Indian roots has been a slow bowler or (more often) a batsman.

Dunno what this proves, but vaguely on topic anyway.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting.

I'm pretty sure every seam bowler with subcontinental antecedents who's played for England has roots in Pakistan. Off the top of my head: Kabir Ali, Saj Mahmood & Amjad Khan.

Every English player with Indian roots has been a slow bowler or (more often) a batsman.

Good observation. The only one with Sri Lankan roots is a fast medium bowler too.

unam

U19 12th Man
What do you guys think about ethnicity?Even in Pakistan, Majority of the fast bowlers are Punjabi or Pathan.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you guys think about ethnicity?Even in Pakistan, Majority of the fast bowlers are Punjabi or Pathan.
It is a science in its infancy. It is possible that Imran was a freak talent and a generation grew up idolizing his speed and swing. This spawned Waqar and Wasim and then, of course, you have an exponential effect. Sort of pyramid effect of sorts. But then, that is an equally vague speculative statement to make...

So yeah...I dunno.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I think race (or sub-race, if you will) plays a role, but ethnicity is a different beast. There's no common gene pattern that marks Punjabis, for instance. You have the Indid Caucasoids, Iranids, Semitid Caucasoids, IndoBrachids, IndoMelanids and a few other genepools thrown into the mix. Ethnically, and to some extent, linguistically they are one; but racially it is a very varied group. And this is true either side of the border.

Pathans, I concede, are racially more homogenous and whether they are better natural athletes is up for discussion. Some of the most naturally lean and athletic sorts in India are proto-Mongoloid (some occasional Caucasoid admixture) and live high up in the hills. Needless to say, cricket isn't exactly very high up on their list of priorities.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It is a science in its infancy. It is possible that Imran was a freak talent and a generation grew up idolizing his speed and swing. This spawned Waqar and Wasim and then, of course, you have an exponential effect. Sort of pyramid effect of sorts. But then, that is an equally vague speculative statement to make...

So yeah...I dunno.
Hard to say, but Imran wasn't the first great Pakistan test seamer. Fazal Mahmood & Khan Mohammad go back to the early 50s & are probably both several cuts above any Indian quick to play before Kapil Dev.

Shri

Mr. Glass
We do produce decent test fa(s)t bowlers once every decade but they all take an arrow to the knee.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Hard to say, but Imran wasn't the first great Pakistan test seamer. Fazal Mahmood & Khan Mohammad go back to the early 50s & are probably both several cuts above any Indian quick to play before Kapil Dev.
If undivided India is considered, I'd say Mohammad Nissar (who later adopted Pakistan) and Amar Singh were as good as, if not superior to Kapil Dev.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If undivided India is considered, I'd say Mohammad Nissar (who later adopted Pakistan) and Amar Singh were as good as, if not superior to Kapil Dev.
It's all about exposure though. Television exposure, right? Or are my dates/estimations of wealth in these countries a bit off?

smash84

The Tiger King
Fazal and Khan Mohammad weren't too pacy though.......would be around medium to medium fast at best

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
It's all about exposure though. Television exposure, right? Or are my dates/estimations of wealth in these countries a bit off?
Pretty much so. My comment was just a response to BB on that specific point.

By and large, I do believe the visual impact of seeing an Imran charge in to bowl covered greater base than Fazal's or Khan Mohd's exploits. And that has less to do with the skills of each man, but more to do with their eras and the changing of priorities in a developing nation.

Nations immediatley post independence would be naturally more focussed on consolidation and building up a functioning structure. And that reflects in their social psyche. A classical swing bowler with his Brylcreemed hair isn't exactly going to seduce their opinions and have a pan-nation magnetism in such a clime. Abraham Maslow's theory, ftw! Imran was just a great bowler who primed in the right era, from Pakistan's perspective.

When men had stable jobs in an established setup, their kids could go out in the streets of Lahore and Karachi and try to emulate Imran Khan's style of bowling. What was a realistic dream in 1985 may have looked like a world apart in 1955 for the young, emerging nation.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yeah, I would agree to that Outswinger. It's difficult to contribute it to race because India has also produced pace bowlers who aren't Punjabis/Pushtoons. However Pushtoons tend to be physically stronger because of the environment they come from. But it's mainly to do with the iconic images of Imran, Wasim etc coming in to bowl. For example we now have a lot of lefties in the domestic structure, all because of Wasim contributing so much to Pak cricket. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Shoaib or Asif type of bowler in the next decade.

Jacknife

International Captain
Interesting.

I've got one that goes against the grain Usman Afzaal.