• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha yeah. Shame it emphatically turned straight back again 18 months later.
None of what happened in 2006/07 erased so much as a single thing that happened in 2005. 2005 was worth celebrating, regardless of 2006/07.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It's a credit to the Australia team that beating them in a series was worth so much celebration.

For this series if we win, there'll be no open top bus (maybe if it's 5-0) but there's no way 2005 didn't warrant that celebration. We outplayed possibly the greatest test team of all time (hard to compare with the WI team of the late-mid 70's to early 80's).

The other thing is that it brought cricket as a sport to the fore in this country. When football club teams do the parades around a borough for winning the F.A Cup, it's certainly allowed when a team wins the Ashes.

cowboy up

Banned
None of what happened in 2006/07 erased so much as a single thing that happened in 2005. 2005 was worth celebrating, regardless of 2006/07.
c'mon your little 2-1 victory was worth celebrating compared to australia's dominance in 06/07 series 5-0 whitewash.we all know which one's worth celebrating now don't we:laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And none of what happened in 2005 erased so much of a single thing that happened in 2006/07.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2005 was certainly worth celebrating, not sure about getting honours from the Queen though. As Warne said to Collingwood 'you got yours for scoring 7' (or something similar, can't be bothered looking up the quote).

Top_Cat

Yeah, have mailed them with all sorts of bollocks since reading his post back then, they always reply. They even once said "we don't think Hick will get a recall but you never know"
Shades of the Iraqi Information Minister. You get the feeling there's one bored bloke at the other end whose sole responsibility is to write feel-good emails putting a positive spin on England's chances.

Top_Cat

2005 was certainly worth celebrating, not sure about getting honours from the Queen though. As Warne said to Collingwood 'you got yours for scoring 7' (or something similar, can't be bothered looking up the quote).
If I was Colly, I'd have reminded him that I, at least, have one.

That or "Yo Mama!". Whatever's more appropriate.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And none of what happened in 2005 erased so much of a single thing that happened in 2006/07.
Not sure how something that was to happen 18 months in the future can have affected the English's right to celebrate their win in 2005...

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Not sure how something that was to happen 18 months in the future can have affected the English's right to celebrate their win in 2005...
This whole conversation seems a bit stupid.

2005 was a huge moment for English cricket regardless of what you thought about the reasons for victory, fair enough that they celebrated it (though things did get a bit out of hand with the honours list). 06/07 was basically the perfect revenge series for Australia, it was a total hammering. However neither series really has much bearing on this summer's Ashes, especially as there have been so many changes in personnel. All this stuff about psychological battles is just rubbish IMO, just something the press invent to fill column inches.

If England win this series I reckon it will actually be a bigger achievment in some respects, on paper Australia may not be as strong, but neither are England, and providing there are no injuries Australia will be pretty well rested and at full strength (though no Symonds in the squad...) unlike last time where a number of their players were pretty jaded, also England aren't really coming off a good run. You can also guarantee that Australia will be better prepared than 05.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This whole conversation seems a bit stupid.
I agree, I was just having a gentle dig at Uppercut (a poster whom I respect a lot) for his throwaway remark.

As for whether the English were right to celebrate as we did, well it was 16 years of misery overturned by the most thrilling series that anyone could remember. A perfect storm. Of course those celebrations amused and irritated the Aussies in equal measure, but hey.

Last edited:

Pringle

Cricket Spectator
There is an argument that the over-celebrations contributed to the side thinking they'd 'made it' and resulted in certain players becoming too confident about their position in the team.

Hoping England can win it, but most of all would like the Ashes to be as competitive and as close as 2005, when it was almost painful to watch at times, such was the tension.

stumpski

International Captain
Only Stumpski has it as a tie after 70 predictions.

Yeah, still think they're pretty evenly matched this time around, tbh. (though I've enjoyed seeing these 4-0 and 5-0 predictions from Aussie fans,they obviously didn't rate Warne and co if they think their absence will make so little difference). And one draw out of five would seem about right, surely it won't be a summer as dire as the last two.

Uppercut

I agree, I was just having a gentle dig at Uppercut (a poster whom I respect a lot) for his throwaway remark.

As for whether the English were right to celebrate as we did, well it was 16 years of misery overturned by the most thrilling series that anyone could remember. A perfect storm. Of course those celebrations amused and irritated the Aussies in equal measure, but hey.
Tbf, i'll outcelebrate the entire English population of 2005 if Ireland so much as beat Bangladesh in joke-cricket on Monday.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is an argument that the over-celebrations contributed to the side thinking they'd 'made it' and resulted in certain players becoming too confident about their position in the team.
There's also an argument that they didn't - which is far more convincing:
Trescothick lasted another year thereafter, in which time he performed exactly the same as he had all career.
Strauss soon after went into near-terminal decline and has more recently recovered. Said decline owed virtually nothing to his downturn and almost everything to others' ability to work-out his strengths and weaknesses.
Vaughan barely played for the best part of two years thereafter due to injury and performed better than ever after returning.
Bell could hardly have over-celebrated his performances in the series, and his output thereafter improved.
Pietersen has gone from strength to strength since.
Flintoff performed superbly for another year or so thereafter and hasn't played much for the next 3 years due to injury.
Geraint Jones was never that good ITFP and was soon out of the side.
Giles' career was essentially over due to injury shortly after that series.
Hoggard continued to perform well for another couple of years and was then summarily dropped for virtually no good reason.
Simon Jones' career ended with that series.
Harmison, like Geraint, was never that good ITFP, didn't make any real contribution to the series like Bell, and has eventually faded from the scene.
Collingwood was barely a player of note at the time and has since become one.
Tremlett has remained a nearly-man.
Pratt has gone from relative nobody to absolute nobody.

So no real over-celebration there, it's just a nice-sounding thing for which to generalise blame for the failure to kick-on on.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
2005 was certainly worth celebrating, not sure about getting honours from the Queen though.
That's no fault of anyone involved with English cricket though, is it? It's simply the result of the British govornment's desire to use sporting honours as a publicity stunt, which has been happening for years, since long before 2005.