• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any honour should only be given to a player after a career's worth of contributions, dishing them out like that after one series was ridiculous, I know a guy who worked voluntarily with blind kids for 25 years (he really went beyond the call of duty, he even got a whole boarding school built for them) before gaining any recognition (in addition to being a respected GP) and getting an MBE (or OBE can't remember), even then that was only after my dad nominated him. Didn't boycott come out with some classic line regarding his OBE or MBE after they were awarded to the 05 team? Seemed like shameless bandwagoning at the time, still does now.
Yeah, it was - but it's the fault of the govornment. There was absolutely no fault whatsoever to be attached to anyone within the game of English cricket. And the way some people have carried-on about it, they seem to mistakenly think that there is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:huh: Doing well in the finals of a ODI tournament is enough to justify an MBE? Might as well apply for one myself.
Not really. There's precious few people who will ever do what Collingwood did in the 2006/07 CB Series. Essentially off his own bat, he turned the tide and a team which was looking, never mind on the canvas, fifty foot below the canvas, and having been there for months, won the tournament.

However poor Collingwood has been for most of his ODI career, he achieved something quite incredibly rare in those three matches at the end of the 2006/07 CB Series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're hardly "winning the battle" if you continually get out to someone else before Warne has the chance to get you. Which is, Adelaide aside, what happened.
In Collingwood-vs-Warne, Collingwood came out on top. Whatever the reasons for that, that's what happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not at all, Collingwood piped up and got owned.
Collingwood scored 151 for once out against Warne all series. If anyone got owned in that one-on-one, it was Warne. One witty remark cannot recover such ground.
And he should have been given his MBE for the 2006 Australian tour instead of 2005 in that case. Just Paul in an open-top bus by himself on his way to Buckingham Palace for services rendered to English sport.
Ind33d. Unfortunately, through no fault of his own, that's not what happened. He had to earn his after being given it.

Smith

Banned
Yeah, it was - but it's the fault of the govornment. There was absolutely no fault whatsoever to be attached to anyone within the game of English cricket. And the way some people have carried-on about it, they seem to mistakenly think that there is.
Government

Smith

Banned
Not really. There's precious few people who will ever do what Collingwood did in the 2006/07 CB Series. Essentially off his own bat, he turned the tide and a team which was looking, never mind on the canvas, fifty foot below the canvas, and having been there for months, won the tournament.

However poor Collingwood has been for most of his ODI career, he achieved something quite incredibly rare in those three matches at the end of the 2006/07 CB Series.
The question still exists: For two good performances in consecutive ODIs, he justified the MBE bestowed upon him? So Flintoff should be certainly be knighted, not?

I will be bizzaroed if I knew the Queen was so interested in the plights of the English ODI team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For performances in ODIs that precious few have equalled, Collingwood came a hell of a lot closer to deserving an MBE than he had for scoring 7 and 10 (or whatever it was he scored) at The Oval in 2005.

That is all.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Collingwood-vs-Warne, Collingwood came out on top. Whatever the reasons for that, that's what happened.
Hahaha. In that case I most certainly came out on top in the Uppercut-vs-Warne battle of 2006/07. My series average of infinity facing him is testament to that- he didn't get me out once.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Collingwood scored 151 for once out against Warne all series. If anyone got owned in that one-on-one, it was Warne. One witty remark cannot recover such ground.

Ind33d. Unfortunately, through no fault of his own, that's not what happened. He had to earn his after being given it.
If the discussion was about match averages against individual players then Collingwood may have had a point. It obviously wasn't, and Collingwood realised he'd made a mistake opening his mouth without thinking of something smarter to say when Warne replied. The look on his face was testimony to that.

To use your line of argument, 151 for once out can't make up for being ordinary your whole career. So Warne, a vastly more talented cricketer than Collingwood, has owned him for a number of years. Thus, he has the right to remind him of this as often as possible. Let's not forget who went spoiling for the fight here. Warne didn't just randomly bring it up.

None of the players earned an honour for one good series. As someone pointed out, others have been doing much more important work in the community for 25 years. As you said, this isn't their fault, but it's not unusual that they'll cop it on the field for it.

You don't earn something after being given it, you earn it beforehand otherwise it's just a hollow accolade.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I cannot believe that people are still going on about Collingwood's MBE. Of course he didn't deserve it. It wasn't him that decided to award it. Get over it.

cowboy up

Banned
I cannot believe that people are still going on about Collingwood's MBE. Of course he didn't deserve it. It wasn't him that decided to award it. Get over it.
were not saying he decided to award it,and were certinally not saying he deserved it.all we are saying is that is funny and he decided to accept it and the reason people are talking about it again is it is ashes time again........finally

cowboy up

Banned
i actually dont mind collingwood,i know he is nothing special but ive seen him play more than a few handy innings and he seems like a down to earth bloke,not a toss

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the only time he really let himself down was in an ODI v NZ when he was captain and he maintained an appeal for a run-out (of Grant Elliott IIRC) after the batsman had collided with the bowler mid-pitch. Not entirely sure that the batsman was innocent but probably a mistake by Collingwood to maintain the appeal all the same.