• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As for whether the English were right to celebrate as we did, well it was 16 years of misery overturned by the most thrilling series that anyone could remember. A perfect storm. Of course those celebrations amused and irritated the Aussies in equal measure, but hey.
And the fact that they irritated the Aussies means they were bound to look for some inane criticism of them when they got the chance.

Inferiority

Banned
England might win this, they are in superb form at the moment. Very balanced and their bowling attack has improved considerably. Australia have regained their arrogance after convincingly beating a quality team in Pakistan 8-). 3-1 to England.

cowboy up

Banned
And the fact that they irritated the Aussies means they were bound to look for some inane criticism of them when they got the chance.
no it didn't really irritate us,sure at first we were disipointed to have lost the urn,but more than anything we were ammused at the amount of celebrations it had caused.we had held the ashes for so long and had never seen or heard of such celebrations for winning the ashes.but that just made getting back that little urn 5-0 oh so much sweeter and then we saw some celebrations

Smith

Banned
I reckon if Johnson and the top order of Aussies come to party, the Ashes will stay back where they belong.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, still think they're pretty evenly matched this time around, tbh. (though I've enjoyed seeing these 4-0 and 5-0 predictions from Aussie fans,they obviously didn't rate Warne and co if they think their absence will make so little difference). And one draw out of five would seem about right, surely it won't be a summer as dire as the last two.
Maybe they think England have gotten worse :happy:

Personally I don't think it'll be 4 or 5 nil.

Son Of Coco

That's no fault of anyone involved with English cricket though, is it? It's simply the result of the British govornment's desire to use sporting honours as a publicity stunt, which has been happening for years, since long before 2005.
No, but it's still funny and they're still going to cop **** about it. It's not like Warne's going to say "Well done on the honours list Paul. I know you only got 7 runs, but thoroughly deserved anyway." Especially when Collingwood's silly enough to have a few cracks at him from slip. The look on his face when this was brought up was priceless. :laugh:

cowboy up

Banned
No, but it's still funny and they're still going to cop **** about it. It's not like Warne's going to say "Well done on the honours list Paul. I know you only got 7 runs, but thoroughly deserved anyway." Especially when Collingwood's silly enough to have a few cracks at him from slip. The look on his face when this was brought up was priceless. :laugh:
good coment:laugh::laugh:and this is the look on collingwoods face:huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Collingwood still won that particular battle though - series head-to-head average of 151 or something. And he did finally manage to justify that MBE which was rather wrong-headedly conferred on him when he basically won the 2006/07 CB Series off his own bat.

And I hardly see how it's fair for anyone to cop **** about something that's not remotely their fault TBH. The ones in the wrong are those giving the ****.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no it didn't really irritate us,sure at first we were disipointed to have lost the urn,but more than anything we were ammused at the amount of celebrations it had caused.we had held the ashes for so long and had never seen or heard of such celebrations for winning the ashes.but that just made getting back that little urn
Exxxactly. Australia's ignorance of what it means to win back The Ashes after 18-and-a-half years means they could not possibly have an understanding of the celebrations merited by such a thing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Collingwood still won that particular battle though - series head-to-head average of 151 or something. And he did finally manage to justify that MBE which was rather wrong-headedly conferred on him when he basically won the 2006/07 CB Series off his own bat.

And I hardly see how it's fair for anyone to cop **** about something that's not remotely their fault TBH. The ones in the wrong are those giving the ****.
Haha you would be seriously bad at sledging Dicko. It's not Colly's fault if he's ****e at cricket either. Should he not cop anything on the field about that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not really talking about on-field sledging, merely off-field comments from fans and players.

People have brought-up the MBEs as some sort of reason to justify their frankly idiotic beliefs that England over-celebrated in 2005 and that this came back to bite them. Which is wrong, plan and simple.

Son Of Coco

Not really, Warne was on the winning team and played well himself. You're right about those giving the **** being in the wrong though, Collingwood should have kept his mouth shut. He looked like someone had given him wee and told him it was Coke when Warne replied.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, Warne was on the winning team and played well himself.
But Collingwood had a head-to-head average of 151 against him... thus Collingwood won that particular battle.
You're right about those giving the **** being in the wrong though, Collingwood should have kept his mouth shut.
Keeping your mouth shut is indeed more often the preferable option than not, but in this case anyone questioning the award of an MBE as if the awardee gave it to themselves is in the wrong.
He looked like someone had given him wee and told him it was Coke when Warne replied.
... and still had a series head-to-head average of 151 against Warne.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But Collingwood had a head-to-head average of 151 against him... thus Collingwood won that particular battle.

Keeping your mouth shut is indeed more often the preferable option than not, but in this case anyone questioning the award of an MBE as if the awardee gave it to themselves is in the wrong.

You're hardly "winning the battle" if you continually get out to someone else before Warne has the chance to get you. Which is, Adelaide aside, what happened.

Son Of Coco

Not at all, Collingwood piped up and got owned. If he'd have thought of something better to kick the whole thing off with he might have been ok.

And he should have been given his MBE for the 2006 Australian tour instead of 2005 in that case. Just Paul in an open-top bus by himself on his way to Buckingham Palace for services rendered to English sport.

cowboy up

Banned
Exxxactly. Australia's ignorance of what it means to win back The Ashes after 18-and-a-half years means they could not possibly have an understanding of the celebrations merited by such a thing.
and because england will never be able to win 5-0 they will never have a understanding of the celebrations merited by such a thing:laugh:

Smith

Banned

:huh: Doing well in the finals of a ODI tournament is enough to justify an MBE? Might as well apply for one myself.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Any honour should only be given to a player after a career's worth of contributions, dishing them out like that after one series was ridiculous, I know a guy who worked voluntarily with blind kids for 25 years (he really went beyond the call of duty, he even got a whole boarding school built for them) before gaining any recognition (in addition to being a respected GP) and getting an MBE (or OBE can't remember), even then that was only after my dad nominated him. Didn't boycott come out with some classic line regarding his OBE or MBE after they were awarded to the 05 team? Seemed like shameless bandwagoning at the time, still does now.