• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst player to have a Cricket World Cup Winner's Medal?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree. That's why I didn't nominate him. Was just pointing him out as perhaps the weakest link of that great side.

smash84

The Tiger King
In that Pakistan side of 92 Aqib certainly wasn't the worst.

There were people like Iqbal Sikander and Zahid Fazal in the squad who were and are nobodies. Never did anything of note

harsh.ag

In that Pakistan side of 92 Aqib certainly wasn't the worst.

There were people like Iqbal Sikander and Zahid Fazal in the squad who were and are nobodies. Never did anything of note
I have been referring to just those players who played in the Final tbh.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rubbish performances in world cups they won:

Viv Richards went through the 1979 cup with a high score of 15*. He averaged 12.

Sunil Gavaskar averaged a spectacular 9 during the 1983 campaign, while also striking at less than 50.

Tom Moody's 1987 featured 8 runs and 0 wickets from his three matches. His economy rate was 7.5

It went mostly unnoticed at the time, but Harbhajan seemed to get through the 2011 cup while averaging 4 with the bat and 43 with the ball.
Harbhajan played a decent role as a containing spinner in a high-scoring World Cup to be fair.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Despite the perception of two dashers at the top of the order, didn't Kaluwitherane have a dire world cup when Sri Lanka won it?

harsh.ag

Despite the perception of two dashers at the top of the order, didn't Kaluwitherane have a dire world cup when Sri Lanka won it?
Yeah, he did. Horrible. Top score of 33. Avg of 12. That World Cup was won by Aravinda, Gurusinha and Ranatunga's batting, and Jayasuriya's all-round prowess.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Someone must have inherited the medals that were presented to Keith Boyce and Roy Fredericks. It could be argued that they're the people with the least cricket talent to have a medal.

fredfertang

Someone must have inherited the medals that were presented to Keith Boyce and Roy Fredericks. It could be argued that they're the people with the least cricket talent to have a medal.
About as strong an argument as the one I'm usually instructed to put forward on behalf of drivers who blow over 100

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, he did. Horrible. Top score of 33. Avg of 12. That World Cup was won by Aravinda, Gurusinha and Ranatunga's batting, and Jayasuriya's all-round prowess.
however he was electric behind the stumps. his stumping of Tendulkar in semis turned the game. Hardly fluffed a chance, and easily was the best keeper of the tournament. That is with Healy in an equally good side.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
however he was electric behind the stumps. his stumping of Tendulkar in semis turned the game. Hardly fluffed a chance, and easily was the best keeper of the tournament. That is with Healy in an equally good side.
Maybe, but when people say one of the biggest reasons SL won the WC was because of the amazing opening partnerships between him and Jayasuriya, I always laugh. Such a myth.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The biggest reason SL won in 96 was that almost all players were in form at least at the top of their game at the point. No team ever had less passengers than the team of 96.

grecian

Yes, on my first thread, which you may know was the original and best, I did ask how Dyer was as a 'keeper amongst the Oz contingent on this forum. As he seems an obvious choice. I guess it's the modern age that people kind of ignore the Wicket-keeping of a keeper-batsmen.

It can be rather important.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We're getting a bit desperate for fresh bait here, so I'll throw in Gordon Greenidge who opened the batting in three finals and managed only 23 runs. :xmas: