• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst player to have a Cricket World Cup Winner's Medal?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, we have had some underdogs lift up the trophy in the distant past. And even within the favorites, sometimes there is one inexplicable squad member.

I nominate the following:
1. Sreesanth (2011)
2. Wickramasinghe (1996)
3. Aaqib Javed (1992)
4. Tim May, Greg Dyer, Mike Veletta (1987)
5. Balwinder Sandhu, Kirti Azad (1983)

The options are too many to create a poll. So, discuss please. Please keep in mind that quality in One-Day cricket is being talked about, and the test arena should not be involved :)

The weakest option out of the Australian era was probably Tom Moody. From the Windies era, probably Collis King.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aaqib was quality. My selection is 1983 indian players. Easily the least dominant world cup winners.

fredfertang

No Englishmen in contention of course, and I suspect if you dug this thread in 50 years time there still wouldn't be

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Veletta really hard done by to be mentioned here considering he played a key role in the 87 final.

It's Sreesanth. The least deserving player ever to touch the winners' trophy. An absolute disgrace to the game. Doesn't help that he was taken to the cleaners by Imrul Kayes, either.

harsh.ag

Sandhu was worse than Binny in ODIs, I think. That's why didn't nominate him.

harsh.ag

Veletta really hard done by to be mentioned here considering he played a key role in the 87 final.

It's Sreesanth. The least deserving player ever to touch the winners' trophy. An absolute disgrace to the game. Doesn't help that he was taken to the cleaners by Imrul Kayes, either.
I mean I get your point, but we really don't know what was the extent of fixing in the 80s. Kapil has a strong case against him even.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As a side note, if Stuart Binny is selected in the squad and India win the World Cup in 2015, father and son could both be in contention for this dubious honour.

India highly unlikely to win though, obvs.

harsh.ag

As a side note, if Stuart Binny is selected in the squad and India win the World Cup in 2015, father and son could both be in contention for this dubious honour.

India highly unlikely to win though, obvs.
Really? I think they are the favorites along with the Aussies and Saffers. And the Saffers are, you know... :P

But I don't think Binny will play. And thank god for that!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ignoring the match fixing, there is no case for Malik either. Both Aaqib and Malik were decent ODI players.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Are we looking at the overall worst player or a player who had a terrible tournament but won anyway? If the latter, Malik fits. If the former, I'm not sure there's an obvious choice from that Pakistani team.