• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worse number 1 side to rise to the top of the rankings during last year?

Which of the two do you think made for the worse # 1

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh I had forgotten about that test.

But even then with such a modest total to chase we almost lost the game.
I think the margin of victory flatters us tbh. We took quite a few wickets very, very late in the chase where even Pakistan couldn't **** it up.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think the margin of victory flatters us tbh. We took quite a few wickets very, very late in the chase where even Pakistan couldn't **** it up.
dude.....you are understimating Pakistan in that dept lol....

as a Pakistan fan my heart was in my mouth all the time......

Ruckus

International Captain
This of course bodes well for the Test game right now as there's clearly very little between Top 4 sides ...England, Australia, SA & Pakistan...with NZ, SL, India & WI off the pace slightly.
While I like this period of rough equality between the top 3 or so teams, I actually hope within a year or two one team emerges as a genuine dominant opponent...I feel continuous rotation around the number one spot for too long devalues the competition a bit - it's kind of like all of the top teams are winning and losing at a similar rate, so after a while who cares? Obviously, I would love it if the dominant team that emerged was Australia, but I wouldn't mind if it was another team either. I like the contest mentality it creates between the teams, where you always have a kind David vs Goliath pairing. When the dominant team occasionally falls, it makes it all the more special as well. Wouldn't want a period of such dominance like Australia had though, can see how that would get pretty boring for fans who aren't loyal to that team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Well I've no idea who's going to be best in 2014 -- right now, I'd back Australia vs. anyone. Australia aren't great clearly, but the other teams are worse.
I think Pakistan would beat Aus in UAE. They may score more then England but they wil concede more runs then England simply because their attack is not as well rounded as England's was.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is this thread about which team has been worse during the last year, or which team was the worst no.1 team? Because India stayed at NO.1 for 3 years and didn't rise to top during the last year like England had done.
India weren't number 1 for 3 years. Australia came here ranked top in 09 and us beating then put Saffa on top for a couple of months. Your reign was short of two years - not knocking it, but you can't just add a whole year and a bit on to try and strengthen your argument.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India weren't number 1 for 3 years. Australia came here ranked top in 09 and us beating then put Saffa on top for a couple of months. Your reign was short of two years - not knocking it, but you can't just add a whole year and a bit on to try and strengthen your argument.
Yeah, 2 years. Was typing something else and in replacing it left the 3 there by mistake. Still the point stands.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. Our batting is still very brittle up top, and I don't think England will be so kind as to let us off the hook so easily after getting us 3/not-many on such a regular basis. That doesn't mean we can't put up OK scores ofc as our middle order is absolutely gun when in form, but I don't think you'll be seeing 3/37 ---> 4dec/650-odd ---> 1/217.
I have doubts about how much better the Aussie middle order is now compared to last year. They didn't all coincidentally lose form when England's world-class attack toured Australia then coincidentally find form when India's prank-attack toured.

The teams are a lot closer together than they were last year but it's still not a great match-up for Australia, they probably don't have a spin attack that can expose England's major weakness. And they're still almost certainly unusually vulnerable to England's swing-oriented attack.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting, possibly - Clarke, no. He was in rank form vs India two months before as well, and anyone who watched him bat at Brisbane would have seen that he was waaaaaaaay out of it. And ofc he found form well before the India series.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Our middle order was ordinary, but if you can't see that Ponting and Clarke are batting better - maybe not well enough to win us a series against Eng right now, but infinitely better from a technique point of view - then you're not watching.

And our middle order had North/Smith in it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Our middle order was ordinary, but if you can't see that Ponting and Clarke are batting better - maybe not well enough to win us a series against Eng right now, but infinitely better from a technique point of view - then you're not watching.

And our middle order had North/Smith in it.
I think this seals the argument beyond doubt, tbh.

Ruckus

International Captain
Ponting, possibly - Clarke, no. He was in rank form vs India two months before as well, and anyone who watched him bat at Brisbane would have seen that he was waaaaaaaay out of it. And ofc he found form well before the India tour.
Yeah Ponting definately as well. The Ashes was actually one of the periods we he really did look bad from a technical point of view. He wasn't looking good and then getting out (like so often before), he was actually looking poor and getting out.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's batting was technically much better against India last summer than it was against Pakistan the year before too. If you couldn't see that, you weren't watching. No one suggested then that it was a case of England's batsmen undergoing a sudden improvement that was suddenly reversed when they faced Pakistan again this year.

It's pretty inexplicably linked to the quality of the bowling. It's so, so much easier to maintain a solid technique against poor bowling than it is against good bowling.

Fair call on North and Smith though. Getting rid of Hilditch was pretty huge for Australia.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
England's batting against Pakistan was for the most part facing a very, very different kind of challenge though - seam and swing on pitches with reasonable bounce. Yes, Ajmal did alright but he wasn't the main factor.

No one's suggesting their techniques have suddenly disintegrated, far from it - what's happened is that a rarely-seen flaw in their mindsets and existing techniques has been ruthlessly exploited by the Pakistani attack.

Last edited: