• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worse number 1 side to rise to the top of the rankings during last year?

Which of the two do you think made for the worse # 1

• Total voters

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
What internal strife?
Talk of Dhoni not wanting the captaincy and possibly being removed from his post. Talk of ego clashes between Sehwag and Dhoni.

Strife might have been a bit melodramatic, and the way they performed probably gave it more credence than it otherwise would have. Still England seem to be much tighter as a unit, no rumours of disharmony at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I doubt we'd play two spinners anyway though, it just isn't our strength. I wouldn't be suprised at all though if Harris averaged 20-odd. The closest thing to compare is Sri Lanka, and he averaged 14-odd there, far better than any other bowler from either team.
I don't think Pakistan would bat as badly as SL did though. They were terribad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli outperforming the oldies was a huge positive. Obviously the tour was still absolutely pathetic, no doubt, but it would have been far darker had India's best batsman been one of Dravid, Tendulkar or Laxman. It would have been horrid infact.

See: England series and Dravid.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't think Pakistan would bat as badly as SL did though. They were terribad.
I think the point of difference though if we were to play Pak now in the UAE would be our ability to bat better than England did. We might have still lost, but I dunno... I just can't see us being whitewashed against them like England was.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Talk of Dhoni not wanting the captaincy and possibly being removed from his post. Talk of ego clashes between Sehwag and Dhoni.

Strife might have been a bit melodramatic, and the way they performed probably gave it more credence than it otherwise would have. Still England seem to be much tighter as a unit, no rumours of disharmony at all.
Was no talk of any such thing when India were winning and was #1 either.. :dry:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I don't think there are any rumors tbf. Sehwag isn't stupid enough to want the captaincy considering his own form and the fact that he lost too. It was just made up by some indian channels or news papers I would guess - or maye the source is a friend of a friend of a cousin or something.

The seniors are too old and not interested, the few others with a couple years still left are out of form, and the juniors haven't established their place in the side yet. For better or worse, it's dhoni and I dont think he has anyone to be facing any internal coup from.

To clarify, I don't like dhoni and India are a bad team but I don't buy the disharmony bit.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Also it's been pointed out that this thread is about who's the worse (and better) number one team in recent times, not who's the worse team at the moment. Fair call.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I said I'd be reasonably confident we could win in India. We've already won in SL recently, but I think Pakistan would probably have the edge in the UAE (but the fact we have a middle order worthy of its name means it would at least be a contest)
Taking nothing away from it, but beating Srilanka in Srilanka isn't as much of a indication to how you would do in Indian conditions then most think. Especially, considering the time when you beat Srilanka.

And don't see how beating India in India is all of a sudden easier than beating Pakistan in UAE.

To be honest my confidence in India is as much based on the fact that sans their batsmen in form (which they aren't), I think India are a poor cricket team. In all respects. Their fielding is bog-standard and their bowlers find it incredibly difficult to build pressure.
The Indian Spinners and Batsman both improve a lot in Indian conditions though. Even the Indian tail starts to Wag. The seamers with reverse into the picture and the SG ball, tend to be more potent too, especially if Zaheer is fit.

I think you are underrating the team at least at home, considering the bowling attack is actually perhaps better than last time Australia toured and as far as the fielding is concerned, yeah it is poor but it matters less on Indian grounds compared to Australian ones the grounds are smaller and the outfields quicker.

If the Curators do their job properly(and don't go Nagpur all of a sudden) and there isn't a major **** up or mass retirements all of a sudden, would agree with what Jono and SS said above about India in India. Woud be most worried about SA probably.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
He was a light in the dark, but hardly a massive positive. He took two and a half tests to get going, and only had 2, maybe three solid innings.
He's going to have to show he can do it when the team really needs it as well. If you look at the scorecards, his bigger contributions look like amazing solo efforts to save the game, but the reality is it was obvious India were basically down and out when he made them and the pressure was largely off. I don't mean to criticise him for the runs he made, because you can't help what dire situation you are given (his willingness to put in the effort and not simply fold was actually pretty admirable), but he has to show he can make runs when his team isn't in such a hopeless sitation. Would be interested to see how he goes higher up the order.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To clarify, I don't like dhoni and India are a bad team but I don't buy the disharmony bit.
Haha I like this.

I feel this way too. Every time I defend India a little bit I do feel that I have to post the disclaimer that I do in fact think we suck major balls right now, and that Dhoni is a poor captain. But it doesn't mean that it's because of internal division, or solely the fault of the IPL, or that our youngsters are no good etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's going to have to show he can do it when the team really needs it as well. If you look at the scorecards, his bigger contributions look like amazing solo efforts to save the game, but the reality is it was obvious India were basically down and out when he made them and the pressure was largely off. I don't mean to criticise him for the runs he made, because you can't help what dire situation you are given (his willingness to put in the effort and not simply fold was actually pretty admirable), but he has to show he can make runs when his team isn't in such a hopeless sitation. Would be interested to see how he goes higher up the order.
I understand your point, but that basically means he has to score runs in the first innings of a test right now. Pretty tough on a kid batting 6.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think the point of difference though if we were to play Pak now in the UAE would be our ability to bat better than England did. We might have still lost, but I dunno... I just can't see us being whitewashed against them like England was.
awta. Australia seem to have the wood on Pakistan.

I think we have been whitewashed by the Aussies in every series since 99 IIRC.

Even in the UAE I won't be suprised if they manage to beat us.

However I can see us going down with a fight in the UAE.

Also I would like to add that the Aussies are much more tough mentally and that is something that Pakistanis always find it tough to handle. A mentally tough opponent.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Wasnt there a match in the UAE where Hayden scored more than the entire Pakistani team in both innings.

Australia have historically played better in all conditions, lets see how they do with their new look team. The only worrying point is the lack of a good spinner.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
First of all Pakistan has to prove that they can extend their good performances beyond the last 2 series this time.

Prone to self combust is probably a understatement. :p

I think they can this time, but let's see....

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
awta. Australia seem to have the wood on Pakistan.

I think we have been whitewashed by the Aussies in every series since 99 IIRC.

Even in the UAE I won't be suprised if they manage to beat us.

However I can see us going down with a fight in the UAE.

Also I would like to add that the Aussies are much more tough mentally and that is something that Pakistanis always find it tough to handle. A mentally tough opponent.
You won a Test against us 18 months ago...?

(Granted, with very different teams on both sides)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This latest whitewash just indicates to me that there's no overwhelmingly clear & categorical 'best test side' right now although I fully accept England deserve their current no.1 ranking.

I genuinely thought this English side were the real deal & would dominate test cricket for a good number of years but this white-wash is a realisation that they're as just as fallible as any other team in foreign conditions.

I understand the great Australian side of 99-08 didn't always win in the subcontinent, but I can't recall them being whitewashed either.

This of course bodes well for the Test game right now as there's clearly very little between Top 4 sides ...England, Australia, SA & Pakistan...with NZ, SL, India & WI off the pace slightly.