• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never seen Hussey play an innings that good to be fair. or play for such a wonderfull side:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australian domestic cricket over the past 15-20 years, during Hussey's era has been as stronger if not stronger then any form of domestic cricket that Richards or Pollock played in.
I'm not entirely sure how you reached that conclusion, but apart from "one was Australian and in my time and the other was not" there's not a lot of explanation.
YouTube - Barry Richards 129 Hampshire Vs Lancashire 1972

That is rubbish standard for domestic cricket.
Apart from the patent absurdity of judging anything on one highlights package, what precisely about that particular highlights package was of such poor standard?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
If I was to vote for anyone in this it would probably be SRT whom I rate fraction above Lara whom in turn I rate a fraction above the best of the rest of the last 20 years or so I've watched cricket.

People who vote on players they have never seen are lying to themselves. You can never get a feel for how good a player is if you weren't around when they were doing their thing. I don't care how many statistics you read or youtube clips you watch. You have to exist when they did to really know. Speculation on how Jack Hobbs did or didn't drive through the covers is a wee bit silly IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Speculation on how he drove through the covers isn't - that's preserved for all to see in photos and the odd video. Speculation on how good he was is precisely that - but the same is true of any player. To some extent (even if only incredibly minimal), how good someone was relative to another is speculation. As pointed-out, no two batsmen have ever come out to bat under the exact same set of circumstances.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Instinct tells you how good a player really is and you can't get that gut feeling from watching past matches and looking at stats. SJS summed up Viv Richard very well when he described the intangible qualities that he brought to the crease, qualities that can't be recorded in stats. You can only get it through the hope and joy of seeing one of your own players perform and the fear of seeing an opponent perform.

For example, it will be hard to convey to your kids/grandkids in many years the utter dominance Shane Warne and Glen MacGrath had over the England team, even by using their very impressing stats and showing clips can't convey the fear you had as and England fan any time they faced your boys. Nor can Flintoff's stats convey the fact that every England fan hoped, and for about 2 years, expected him to turn a game on his own with bat and/or ball.

You have to be there to really know how good a player was.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Went for Tendulkar, the way he has come good again over the last little while is amazing.

Lara at his best is the best i have seen, but he had nothing on the consistency of Tendulkar over such a long period.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Instinct tells you how good a player really is
Don't agree. It can give you a good first impression but instinct needs to be tempered and the conclusion your instinct has given you needs to be evaluated before you can see whether it was really right or not.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Don't agree. It can give you a good first impression but instinct needs to be tempered and the conclusion your instinct has given you needs to be evaluated before you can see whether it was really right or not.
By implication you agree with me. You stated instinct needs to be tempered thus implying that instinct is indeed needed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I said it can give you a good first impression but that said first impression needs to be tempered.

I feel you can form a fair assessment without an instinctive impression formed by watching a player as a game was unfolding (ie, when you didn't know what you were about to be shown before you were shown it).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was to vote for anyone in this it would probably be SRT whom I rate fraction above Lara whom in turn I rate a fraction above the best of the rest of the last 20 years or so I've watched cricket.

People who vote on players they have never seen are lying to themselves. You can never get a feel for how good a player is if you weren't around when they were doing their thing. I don't care how many statistics you read or youtube clips you watch. You have to exist when they did to really know. Speculation on how Jack Hobbs did or didn't drive through the covers is a wee bit silly IMO.
Would make the whole study of any kind of history pointless if you go along with that logic.

(Maybe you are right and I am doing the wrong degree)

bagapath

International Captain
No you couldn't. Hussey like Pollock and Barry Richards played domestic cricket for over a decade, and his performances were nowhere near so impressive as theirs.
domestic cricket is an inferior form of cricket compared to tests. if one wants to compare hussey and barry in the context of second greatest batsman in history, we have to look at their test records. hussey averages 50+ after 50 tests. that is good enough by any standards. but barry, unfortunately, played only four tests. that is not enough to judge him at the highest level. and it simply rules him out of contention. which of the two is a better FC batsman is a different question altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.