• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably Gazza Sobedog. As he might be called if he were a rapper.

I voted for Viv though.
:huh: Strange thing to do...

Anyway as has been said in the several previous incarnations of this thread, no obvious option. As I've said before though, for me the selection of Viv Richards makes less sense than most. Terrific player and very unique, beyond question. Second-best ever, absolutely no chance. And seriously, is anyone going to vote, on a genuine basis, for Dravid, Javed, Sehwag etc.? I honestly think not.

Personally I've always tended to choose George Headley in this question, but there are at least 4-5 names (Hobbs, Sobers, Tendulkar, Hammond the others) who are very possibly worthy.

On the basis, of course, that WG Grace played a different game of cricket to that which most of those we tend to consider.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anyway as has been said in the several previous incarnations of this thread, no obvious option. As I've said before though, for me the selection of Viv Richards makes less sense than most. Terrific player and very unique, beyond question. Second-best ever, absolutely no chance.
Why wouldn't Viv have a chance to be called the second greatest ever? I think most people agree that after Bradman any number of players can have a legitimate claim to being the 2nd greatest. It seems rather arrogant to me to state Viv's selection "makes less sense than most". That may be your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it, but please don't make it sound like such a view is an obvious fact.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Martin seems to be gainign momentum in this poll.

I think he may have a claim to the greatest batsmen title as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why wouldn't Viv have a chance to be called the second greatest ever? I think most people agree that after Bradman any number of players can have a legitimate claim to being the 2nd greatest. It seems rather arrogant to me to state Viv's selection "makes less sense than most". That may be your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it, but please don't make it sound like such a view is an obvious fact.
That's my opinion, that it makes precious little sense - I stated that fairly clearly in the previous post. I've taken quite considerable note of Richards' career, and for most of it he was nothing more than unusually good - he was only ever exceptional for very short times. To my mind, his many admirers, who rightly are astounded by how good he was in those two short periods, place far too much emphasis on them and are wont to the feeling, conscious or subconscious, that the rest didn't really matter all that much because if he wanted to he could've performed like he did in those two brief periods for longer.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
for me it is between hobbs, richards, sobers, lara, tendulkar & chappell...i choose sobers...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with this. I personally went for Sobers but there is no way he is a lock even in my own book. Some other day I might have picked Sunny or King.

Ponting would be the player, he is just a run machine. But sadly only critics that can put away their own biases come to this conclusion.

Slifer

International Captain
Went for Sobers but could easily have been Sachin, Chappell, Ponting, Lara etc.

But compared to Bradman Sobers matches up fairly well:

Great average 58
Monstrous series 800, 700, etc
Excellent conversion 26/93 tests
Great home and away
Big scores: 365, 208, 190+ a few times (254**)

etc etc etc

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Could be many of the above of batsmen really. But it's easy to see who'll win this poll.

My top 5 not in order:

Hobbs
Hammond
Chappell
Ponting
Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.