• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best bowler to tour AUS since Ambrose ?

Best bowler to tour AUS since Ambrose

• Steyn

• Kyle Abbott

• Bumrah

• Tremlett

• Any other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we're talking best bowler in Australia, then it's Bumrah and imo it's not close. Him, Steyn and Tremlett are the only bowlers to have taken 20+ wickets in Australia at under 30. Tremlett was immense in that 11 series, but he falls out of contention for being a one hit wonder. Steyn was good in Australia, but Bumrah's been great.

subshakerz

International Coach
Bumrah over Steyn. Steyn was quite ordinary outside of those two matchwinning performances of Melbourne 08 and Perth 2012 .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah obviously, if you're running it on wanting them to perform in Aus, which i suppose is what the poll is really about, otherwise you wouldn't have Tremlett in it.

If you're running it on their ranking generally it's also a factor but less so. Having said that, Aus has pretty much dominated world cricket more often than not in its history, so you would certainly give more weight visiting bowlers' performances here than their efforts in lesser nations (ie, everywhere else), subject to a closer look at the actual line ups they bowled to.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Imran by series. Good to great in 2 series, indifferent in 2 and didn't bowl in one when injury forced him to not bowl in middle of his awesome phase. Made up with the bat in last 2 series. Overall nothing to scoff at.

1667454476106.png

sunilz

International Regular
I am the only one who voted for Kyle Abbott and I still stand with my decision.
To beat full strength Australian side in Aus without Steyn and Devilliers is unbelievable achievement.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran by series. Good to great in 2 series, indifferent in 2 and didn't bowl in one when injury forced him to not bowl in middle of his awesome phase. Made up with the bat in last 2 series. Overall nothing to scoff at.

View attachment 33439
Yeah but people say Steyn was not much chop overall here save for a couple of good performances and use that against him, then make essentially the same argument about another guy and say it's nowt to be scoffed at. When it really is.

I grew up watching Imran and never really feared him with the ball as an Aus supporter, albeit we never saw away tests back then so you're going purely off half the tale. Felt very differently about Steyn when he bowled here though. Always worried he'd run amok.

Also

1667455066337.png

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah but people say Steyn was not much chop overall here save for a couple of good performances and use that against him, then make essentially the same argument about another guy and say it's nowt to be scoffed at. When it really is.

I grew up watching Imran and never really feared him with the ball as an Aus supporter, albeit we never saw away tests back then so you're going purely off half the tale. Felt very differently about Steyn when he bowled here though. Always worried he'd run amok.

Also

View attachment 33440
Funny because I had the opposite feeling about Steyn.

The same Steyn who looked fearsome in Perth 2012 was taken apart by Clarke and co. in the previous two tests, albeit on batting decks.

In 2008, he was okayish in the first test but improved massively in Melbourne. He varied tremendously match by match.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah obviously, if you're running it on wanting them to perform in Aus, which i suppose is what the poll is really about, otherwise you wouldn't have Tremlett in it.

If you're running it on their ranking generally it's also a factor but less so. Having said that, Aus has pretty much dominated world cricket more often than not in its history, so you would certainly give more weight visiting bowlers' performances here than their efforts in lesser nations (ie, everywhere else), subject to a closer look at the actual line ups they bowled to.
Wasn't 80s Aussies far far lesser in quality than the ATG sides of Aus Steyn started against?

subshakerz

International Coach
Wasn't 80s Aussies far far lesser in quality than the ATG sides of Aus Steyn started against?
The 76 side Imran faced was the best in the world at the time and later sides had Border and Kim Hughes too. He didnt bowl against Australia at their mid-80s nadir.

Here is a nice clip of him in the 81 series beautifully setting up Greg Chappell with the inswinger. I like how he casually walks back to the umpire after the dismissal. No need for crazy eyes or jumping around.

Last edited: